Alcorn Branch Falls is a 1.3 mile out and back trail located near Beattyville, Kentucky that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Alcorn Falls are just south of the Sheltowee Trace, east of the area where the Sheltowee goes along the base of hollowed out cliffs. Look to the south of the trail for a couple of nice overlooks particularly where the trail crosses the side creek. I didn't see any trails down to the creek to get to the base of the falls but I saw some old tracks going down the hill near the base of the cliffs. I carefully followed them down the hill to the creek and hiked a few hundred feet to the base of the falls. The rocks at the base of the falls were dangerously slippery.

The area had about a half inch of rain 2 days before I got there and the falls were just a trickle of water. It was pretty scenic when I was there but I don't think with would have been as nice if it was all dried up.

My husband I found this trail following another reviewers directions (Eli Caudill). The first part was a bit muddy but once we crossed the gravel road and hit the actual trail it was nice. We went after a decent rain so there was plenty of water. I really enjoyed this drive and the short hike.

Monday, September 12, 2016

This was a tough one to find. When we made the trip there had been dry weather, so the falls was not running that day. To be able to see Alcorn Falls one would need to go right after a good rain has fallen.

We parked off Highway 1209 at Avril Post Office Road. We walked across the Highway and started on the Sheltowee Trace Trail (100) at that point. After a short walk uphill the trail intesectes with a gravel roadway. To stay on the trail you need to make a left on the roadway, and then the trail turns off right again, maybe a 100 feet or less down the roadway. From that point it's a half mile walk to the area were Alcorn Falls would be if you went after a good rain. The trail on the way out to the falls is nice, there were plenty of wild flowers along the trail. It's nice enough that if the falls aren't visible, you could still make a nice out and back of the trail and make it as long as you want.

Saturday, November 14, 2015