Learn more

Wyandotte County Lake Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(232)
Wyandotte County Lake Park

Wyandotte County Lake Loop Trail is a 9.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kansas City, Kansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,289 feet Route Type: Loop

Pretty challenging hike. The loop consists of the bridal trail, which is a horse trail, frequently rocky and muddy, and the lakeside trail, which is smooth and an easy hike or fun bike ride. None of this is really maintained, which makes it a great workout. We took a shortcut at shelter 14 and on the dam, which put us at 8 miles.

Muddy spots, but a cool ride. Its a once in a while track.

flooded

muddy, wet, nasty, lots of flying bugs, A tree was blocking the path, but we were able to get through. In its defense we came a day after some big storms. I think the trail has potential and will come back.

Nice trail. The map for white tail has another inside loop not present on this map. Made for a interesting time of confusion. Map at the trail head on urban trails is correct.

Too muddy. Walked the road instead

We haven't been adventurous enough to hike the full 9.7 miles in a single go, but we've really enjoyed the short (~2 hour) out-and-back trips we've made. Our first outing was from the Start/End point, heading up the west side of the loop. The first section was a bit muddy, but nothing we couldn't cleanly navigate. We made it to N. 93rd Street before letting the dogs jump in the lake then returning to the Start/End point. Our second outing picked up at 93rd Street where we turned around the week before. Again, there were a few muddy sections, but nothing we couldn't cleanly navigate. We made it slightly beyond the most northwestern point in the trail before turning around. (You can see 435 and look out over the farmland when looking through the trees from here.) I'm not sure where we'll park/pick up the trail for our next outing, but our plan is to finish the loop. So far, it's been enjoyable, no crowds to speak of, and even with recent rains, I have no complaints about trail conditions.

flooded

I was going to do the loop today knowing it was probably going to be too muddy; I was right. I decided to walk to road instead which was fine. I went in knowing it’ll probably be too muddy but I looked just to see. Ankle deep mud and other things made it impossible. I’m just excited for a couple dry days to go try it out.

flooded

This trail is actually about 11 miles long. It’s very very muddy and very rocky. Most of the trail is on the horse trails around the lake. Trails are poorly marked in the middle but get better. If you’re looking for something challenging go for it!

Great trail overall a little overgrown and a lot of mud in some places. Don’t wear nice shoes. Good elevation gain for Kansas

I did the entire loop. I don’t know what I ended at distance wise, but close to 12. I’d say 80% of it was mud. Not the most enjoyable. It hasn’t rained in a few days, maybe it would have been better after a weeks+ worth of drying, but not the most enjoyable today. Would maybe come back to check the inside tracks for mountain biking. The first four miles were mud. The last four miles were mud so the northwest side of the lake was the dry area and that was decent.