Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve Trail

Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Strong City, Kansas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The preserve protects a nationally significant remnant of the once vast tall grass prairie and its cultural resources. Hike through the extensive trail system among a herd of Bison.

Great views with plenty of open country. Nice for a day trip. Nothing spectacular but nice for Kansas.

Went on the 7 mile hike in late April. Early morning is great for getting your hike in before it gets too hot. Saw Bison and Cattle along as well as on the trails. Don’t get too close to the Bison as they might charge. The trail is very easy.

Stopped on our way through Kansas and got out hiking. Very little traffic the day we went. Had hoped to see some bison but not our day, hopefully next time.

Beautiful prairie and wonderful trails. We went to the (I think it’s called) “Outback Country” where there were free roaming bison. We wanted to play it safe and give the bison their space so about 10 minutes into the hike after seeing a herd of about 10-15 we turned back. We enjoyed a lot of the other trails and I would definitely go again.

Great place to spend a few hours walking in the open air. Easy access and even easier trails.

wide, well marked, mowed trails. numbered limestone blocks with a full trail map at nearly every junction. spectacular views. arrive before sunrise and hike up about a half mile to the north to a high point to watch the sunrise. well worth the effort!

Very informative and interesting. One of the best things to do in Kansas. Kind and knowledgeable rangers.

Monday, May 15, 2017

I hike at Tallgrass at least 3 times a week over the past month. I have YET to be disappointed. I've lived in the area for 4+ years and only recently discovered this GEM! A lot of the trails are simply mowed grass with no gravel, but they do have multiple trails that are gravel or pea-gravel. The scenery is worth the drive! I visit Tallgrass usually after hours (center closes at 4:30, but trails are open 24/7) and rarely see others out hiking. The lack of trailhead markings is a bummer, but I kind of like the simplicity and the preservation that Tallgrass provides.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

We saw wild Bison along the main trails and several herds in the distance off the main trail. There is minimal shade so come prepared with plenty of sunblock and water. Also make sure that your phone is fully charged as there are several trails both main and off trails. We used our GPS off trails as it's easy to get turned round. Close to the main road we found a small wooded area near a creek and a couple of historical buildings.

Friday, February 24, 2017

The trails were pretty overgrown and wet when I visited on Labor Day 2016, which made hiking with my small dog a little tough. But the historical buildings and the trails off that main welcome area were fun and beautiful on a blue-sky Kansas day. I'll be visiting again soon.

Friday, February 17, 2017

awesome place wish I would have came here sooner, nice easy trail, historic buildings.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Love this place. You can get lost on the prairie. Lots of options.

Monday, October 03, 2016

Made about a 10 mile loop hike...saw the Bison heard. Suggest binoculars and a good camera for best photo results..take water.Very enjoyable hike....wide open country...do not consider a summer time hike..no shade... otherwise do it.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Beautiful!! Only certain trails are approved for dogs but they were beautiful!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Great place for long easy hikes. Visitor center closed at 4:30 so I missed that today but I'll check it out tomorrow. I got to see several Bison and some were even right on the path causing me to have to take a short cut around them. Not to many parks are so open and flat(ish) it was fun to see all around as apposed to a trail in the woods. :)

Sunday, January 31, 2016

National Park in Kansas? Pretty cool!

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Great day for a hike! Crossing the creek was COLD!!!

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Nice hiking trails, trails are marked with their names on cement bricks

Monday, October 12, 2015

I really love prairies, and this was a great example. Beautiful rolling hills, really diverse plant life, big open skies. The trail we used was wide and easy walking.
We attempted a hike in late October, but the weather got the best of us. We were prepared for 40* and rainy, but not 20* and a snowstorm!

Monday, September 07, 2015

Completed 4 miles with my two kids. Nice trails, easy to follow on maps from visitor center. Didn't get to see the bison, but maybe next time.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Did the 2 section trail with my dogs, early this year. Rolling hills were pretty and there wasn't a person in sight. Creeks and ponds were dried up. Only con, was that the TH had no signage and I had to guess at its location based on maps. There's a public posting board with fish limits and warnings, but that's it. Then you pass through 2 small gates.... or at least I did. The trail was easy to follow.

Friday, April 03, 2015

We did the 7 mile loop in early February. Great setting, full moon and sunrise. Not much scenery given the season (dormant or burned off grass and cloudy). Great to walk within a few hundred yards of the bison in their territory. Heard and saw several coyotes. Planning on going back again during storm/growing season!

Monday, September 22, 2014

Very nice hike over grass, dirt and gravel trails. Natural beauty of the land takes one's breath away. Plenty of different trails available, mostly flat but there are some long, gradual uphills. Enjoyed seeing the sea of tall grass, even had the pleasure of seeing a herd or bison, Recommend this trail if you want nice long or short hikes. Did not see too many other hikers which added to the solitude.

Monday, June 09, 2014

If you like prairie, you'll love this.

Saturday, October 05, 2013

What a great trail to hike!
The Tall Grass Prairie Preserve is a NPS site and the trails are available 24/7...no camping but I always take a bivi-bag and so it's good to set up for the night to get those sunrise shots of the buffalo herd!
Although it is possible to night hike out here no one seems to do that much. I thought it was the absolute BEST time to do this series of trails. Pick a full moon and you will have the whole place to yourself AND be able to see some amazing wildlife at dusk, midnight and dawn.
Nice little motels and B&Bs available nearby in Strong City and Cottonwood Falls.
If you want total solitude and a place to explore that has not changed in 100,000 years...then this, my friends, is the place!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The visitor Center is appears large but really has very little in displays. The Historic buildings offer more to see. Over 20 miles of trails throughout the preserve. Well worth the trip.