Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve Trail

Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Strong City, Kansas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The preserve protects a nationally significant remnant of the once vast tall grass prairie and its cultural resources. Hike through the extensive trail system among a herd of Bison.

I hike at Tallgrass at least 3 times a week over the past month. I have YET to be disappointed. I've lived in the area for 4+ years and only recently discovered this GEM! A lot of the trails are simply mowed grass with no gravel, but they do have multiple trails that are gravel or pea-gravel. The scenery is worth the drive! I visit Tallgrass usually after hours (center closes at 4:30, but trails are open 24/7) and rarely see others out hiking. The lack of trailhead markings is a bummer, but I kind of like the simplicity and the preservation that Tallgrass provides.

We saw wild Bison along the main trails and several herds in the distance off the main trail. There is minimal shade so come prepared with plenty of sunblock and water. Also make sure that your phone is fully charged as there are several trails both main and off trails. We used our GPS off trails as it's easy to get turned round. Close to the main road we found a small wooded area near a creek and a couple of historical buildings.

The trails were pretty overgrown and wet when I visited on Labor Day 2016, which made hiking with my small dog a little tough. But the historical buildings and the trails off that main welcome area were fun and beautiful on a blue-sky Kansas day. I'll be visiting again soon.

awesome place wish I would have came here sooner, nice easy trail, historic buildings.

Love this place. You can get lost on the prairie. Lots of options.

Made about a 10 mile loop hike...saw the Bison heard. Suggest binoculars and a good camera for best photo results..take water.Very enjoyable hike....wide open country...do not consider a summer time hike..no shade... otherwise do it.

Beautiful!! Only certain trails are approved for dogs but they were beautiful!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Great place for long easy hikes. Visitor center closed at 4:30 so I missed that today but I'll check it out tomorrow. I got to see several Bison and some were even right on the path causing me to have to take a short cut around them. Not to many parks are so open and flat(ish) it was fun to see all around as apposed to a trail in the woods. :)

Monday, May 16, 2016

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Sunday, January 31, 2016

National Park in Kansas? Pretty cool!

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Great day for a hike! Crossing the creek was COLD!!!

Wednesday, November 04, 2015