Table Mound Trail

Table Mound Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Independence, Kansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Table Mound trail begins at a scenic overlook, then drops down to below the bluff turning south through woods. This linear trail has a trailhead at the Scenic Overlook near the dam and at Timber Road Campground, northwest of the State Park office. Due to this trails length, it is able to give witness to the hiker many different and picturesque scenes. If chosen to begin the trail at the Scenic Overlook, the trail runs north .2 mile atop edge of Table Mound along the edge of a 20-foot bluff. After dropping through a crack in a rock and going down to the foot of the bluff, it turns sharply south. For about the next .5 mile, the trail passes along vertical rock walls, boulder fields and cave-like formations. The trail then drops down through a ravine and crosses the county road. For the next 1.9 miles, the trail winds through forested hills and crosses three small creeks. The final segment is .15 mile and is along an old roadway. This particular trail is blazed with blue paint markings and is considered a moderately strenuous hike.

This was my first moderate trail and I loved it. Never got boring and beautiful scenery. I will definatley be back!

Easily One of the best trails in the area. Enough rocks and rough to terrain to stay entertained but not so much that family can’t come along. Good views. Fun afternoon!

This was my first "moderate" trail and it was so much fun! Gorgeous views and trail was well-marked.

Excellent adventure! We loved the quiet, well marked trails!! Absolutely beautiful hiking path!

Beautiful view and peaceful hike. Check for ticks.

Monday, April 24, 2017

This trail was a great place to have river shoes, we crossed over a lot of water on the trails. Overall a great hike.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

This is the first time we've done this trail. We took both kids and they loved it. We did 2.1 miles all together. Beautiful day!

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Perfect trail for an adventure with the kids!

Monday, January 30, 2017

Trail was well marked and maintained.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Hiked this the last day of 2016. Two friends and myself that haven't done much hiking in a few years had a blast. For Kansas it's hard to beat, very well marked trail with blue paint. I believe there is enough here for any level of hiker. Highly recommended.

Monday, September 05, 2016

My favorite trail in Kansas! It is beautiful. Photos can not capture the true essence. A must-see.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Had to go one more time. Had to take two other people with to enjoy it with me.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

This was my 1st time on a trail with my new mountain bike. Great trail, well marked, and the views were beautiful!!
Ready to do it again soon!

Monday, June 13, 2016

It was our very first hike and it was absolutely awesome. It was the perfect trail to start on. The views were beautiful and even though it rained we were able to see wildlife. The best part was walking along the 20 foot drop off that overlooks the lake.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Beautiful, well maintained trail!

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Nice hike with the family, very pretty area.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Elk City State Park is one of my favorite places to go just to get away. This is one of my favorite trails because of it's location. You begin with an amazing view of the lake, and everything below the lookout, and you work your way down to the bottom (and, if you're motivated, back up another direction - off the beaten path). Check out this post with a much more detailed review and a lot of pictures: http://www.veiledpath.com/?p=297
Don't forget to pack some water (or maybe something even better); there are plenty of picnic areas around these trails.

Tuesday, March 01, 2016