Osage Nature Trail

Osage Nature Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Newton, Kansas that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running.

old growth

Great trail for Kansas, this trail has many off shoots and alternate route. Overall this trail is accurately depicted as easy, but this by no means diminishes its quality as a trail.

There are a few different paths that you can take.
There's a very easy one which is semi paved (there are parts where the pavement ends). This one loops and is .44mi. The neat thing about this one is that there is a memorial dedicated to the homeless.
The other paths are more off trails that we would consider moderate which, when we went (mother's day 2017), has several parts that make you tread through swamp areas (not too deep but deep enough that your shoes get wet). This is more of the loop you see on the map. There are other paths that you can take as well. None of the paths are marked so make sure that your mobile phone is charged so you can check the path as you hike.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Nice Trail and plenty of scenery.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Monday, April 25, 2016

Pretty fun. Took my 10 & 13 yr old sons with me. They weren't thrilled that they had to tag along with me, but by the middle of the hike they were having a good time.

Thursday, December 17, 2015

I hike here often. Great birding & wildflowers!

Sunday, November 22, 2015

It was fun hike with the kids, and offered beautiful scenery... We will do this again... ;)

Monday, August 10, 2015

Loved going for a trail run on this trail. Will return to explore more of this trail before long.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Nice, quiet trail. It was well-groomed while we were there in May 2015

canoeing
Friday, May 29, 2015

Great trail beware of bears though

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Went for a visit on a warm Spring afternoon. The trail winds in and out of tree cover so be ready for the sun on a Summer day. Thankfully there are benches in shaded areas along the Northern loop of you want a break along the way. The parking area is easy to find, simply following 1st St. East out of Newton and using the Osage Nature Trail signs that mark the way. Upon entering the trail you are met with a new information kiosk including maps and local wildlife information. The trail was well marked and cleared and served as a nice walk with very few ups and downs. My wife, son, and I enjoyed the interlocking trails that allow you to choose how much you want to hike. We will visit again!

Monday, August 26, 2013

I haven't been to this nature trail for several years, but decided to go today with my dogs for a change of pace. I was totally shocked at the poor condition of the trail. The actual trail was hidden by overgrowth, and downed trees! It looked like no one has cared for it in such a long time. Needless to say, we only attempted to walk for a short distance then had to turn back because the trail was blocked and looked almost nonexistent. I don't know who is in charge of the upkeep, but obviously no one is doing their job.
I don't know if I will ever go back and it breaks my heart to see this once beautiful trail look like just an overgrown non-cared for piece of land!

Saturday, February 25, 2012