Kill Creek Park Trail

Kill Creek Park Trail is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Desoto, Kansas that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Kill Creek park trails are located just outside of DeSoto, near Olathe, Kansas. The trail is primarily used for hiking & mountain biking. Three trails; Hank, Eddie, and the connector trail.

Good trail for conditioning.

Enjoyed this park!

This is the best kept secret in Johnson County. Quite, clean, secluded, well maintained and well marked trails. By far my favorite trail around Olathe, DeSoto, Lenexa, Shawnee.

I really enjoyed this hike. there are a number of different trails that intersect at various points so you can choose your own adventure.

Nice trail. A bit too manicured for my taste but given its proximity to KC, makes sense.

Decent trail. Not sure about the lightly trafficked, we saw about 10-12 other people in the 4 miles we hiked. That seems almost moderately trafficked. There are a few trails that break off the main, so you have to watch that. We gps the All Trails map to stay on the correct trail. The trails are clearly visible, but mostly unmarked. The last half mile of the trail is paved in asphalt, so you are completely out of the timber. You do walk along a creek for a bit, so that was cool.

Beautiful place to hike. I have never seen another person while hiking there, but the trails weren’t overgrown. My dogs love it.

Love it! You can totally get "lost" and have such a wonderful experience. Can't believe this is on 15 min from home!

Good path for my first hike in new boots.
Well marked.

Not worth it. Not taken care of. Super rocky & there are no signs!

Make sure you check yourself for ticks after your hike. Enjoyed crossing the creek to continue onto the chosen off road trail path.

There is a paved path there which is nice. But if you take the dirt trails through the woods - it's beautiful. We go here often and rarely see anyone on the dirt trails. It's beautiful. I agree with the comments on the bugs - lots of ticks. But there is a lot of tall grass here, so that's to be expected.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Nice hiking, if you take care to look out for the paths. Theres a long, paved route with off-road paths along it: you'll have to look for the signs and then follow them.

The trails themselves are not marked, but they're very clear for anyone hiking or mountain biking. I went in a nice day in March and although the park itself was busy, we did not see anyone on the trails. Others have complained about bugs, and we did have a couple ticks despite it being so early in the season. It's the woods, though.

Monday, December 26, 2016

Nice scenic hike with a few creek crossings. Saw a couple deer along the way. Trail is mostly flat with just a few elevation changes.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Well maintained mountain bike trails, rocky and uphill in spots. The connector trail is mostly downhill, and somewhat rough ride. I usually ride the loop counter clockwise but both ways probably have equal elevation gain/loss. Loop only takes 15 or 20 minutes. The trail across the creek is more technical, takes you on the side of bluff next to the creek. The trail getting to the loop is longer than the loop. Uphill most of the way to the loop, take the loop clockwise, you'll go through a flat section then an intense climb before getting to the gnarly creek bed. Wear a helmet!

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

The trail itself was nice. But we came home with more tics and fleas than we ever have before. We had fun hiking but paid for it dearly with horrible itching for days afterwards. I know to expect bugs on hiking trails but some are worse than others. This is definitely one of the worst ones. I won't do it again.

Monday, September 05, 2016

I really enjoyed this trail system. It has a great mixture of paved and unpaved (rocky) paths. It has lots of choices of paths to take. The wooded areas are nice when the sun is hot. Be prepared for wet shoes at creek crossings. It wasn't deep, but not a clear dry path across them. The paths are easy to follow. We spent 2.5 hours here and didn't see half of the trail. We loved it!

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Beautiful trail with a lot of path options. Some of it is paved and some is through the woods. Multiple creek crossings so be prepared to have squishy shoes.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

One of the best Trails systems in Johnson County

Monday, February 29, 2016

this trial was beautiful. You may get wet when crossing the stream. I cant wait to go back when its spring outside.

Friday, September 25, 2015

Great park. Endless trails. Both paved and through the woods and fields. Plenty of wildlife (must have seen 100 deer).

My only complaints would be the bugs. Do yourself a favor, wear hiking pants and spray your legs with bug spray to avoid the chiggers. Also if you're gonna go through the woods carry a stick to beat down the endless spider webs. Kind of a hassle but hey that's nature right.

Friday, August 21, 2015

Great trails - a mix of wooded, prairie, and paved. Word to the wise - try to stay off the grass right now. My husband and I are recovering from masses of chigger bites. Learned from the doctor that chiggers are especially bad this year due to all the rain. We loved the hike (before the itching!) and plan to go back - after the temp goes down to 42*!

Friday, August 07, 2015

Great wooded trail. Red bugs were exceptionally bad this trip and spiders opting to build webs every 2 steps across pathway. Really up close and personal with nature, great sights, wildlife readily seen. Beautiful doe stood and stared for quiet some time. I'll be back here.

Thursday, January 01, 2015

This is a really nice wooded trail. The winding trail through the woods and along the hillsides is easy to access and a beautiful hike. I highly recommend this as a close hike from the city.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Awesome trails! Lots of choices on what paths to take. Lots of wildlife too!:)

Sunday, January 19, 2014

For biking, hiking, and horse rising, this is a great trail. But runners beware. Very loose and rocky paths presented a hazardous running path. It's a challenge for sure.

Monday, December 03, 2012

There are some awesome biking, hiking and horse trails at this 884 acre park in Johnson County Kansas.

Friday, October 05, 2012

Definitely a fun ride. I mountain biked with my buddies and we had a great time. You even have to ride through a creek! Every time I've been out I've seen deer.

Monday, July 09, 2012

Kill Creek Park has several trails for mountain biking, hiking, and horseback riding. The mountain biking trails are full of limestone and rather wide. The hiking trails are very narrow (one person has to get completely off the trail when passing others) and contain many stream crossings. Parts of the trails are in the open Kansas prairie, but most are wooded. There is also a lake in the park, but I only hiked the northern part of the park on my last venture there.