Kansas River Trail

Kansas River Trail is a 8.4 mile out and back trail located near Lawrence, Kansas. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options.

Note a hiking trail, it's a dual use hiking/mountain bike trail. Not friendly to hikers. Period.

Nice levee trail but also can go off on mountain bike trails which run through lush wooded area.

Monday, October 31, 2016

The trail is really narrow as it seems like more of a bike trail than a walking trail. Two folks walking side by side is not possible. Lots of bike encounters on our walk. However, seems a little rough for bikes since there are several areas with metal objects sticking up on the trail. The surroundings are pretty and it's peaceful but there are some old rusty metal objects like barrels and mattress frames off trail. I wouldn't exclude it from future hikes but it won't be a regular either.

Monday, October 31, 2016

Walked the bike trail, but there were some barbed wire and other metal pieces embedded into the ground. Not very scenic at first, but does get better! Other than the metal pieces, very nice trail. Perfect with fall weather

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Awesome trail! Flat and smooth perfect for fast riding. And side trails to check out. Pretty views of river. Lots of people though, even on a weekday evening.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

love this place. great in the fall.

Monday, June 27, 2016

very good leisurely bike ride. Great for kids only one small hill. but i do suggest going 9n an overcast day or in the early morning. Too hot on a sunny afternoon

Thursday, May 26, 2016

I went walking with my puppy here! It was a relatively easy walk with not many steep hills, and we got to see some other dogs too!

Friday, April 04, 2014

This is a good first time trail to ride a mountain bike on if you normally only ride the asphalt jungle. I got into biking for health reasons (and bought a mountain bike) and was only riding on the street in the beginning. Once I started to hit the trails I never looked back.
I seem to push myself a lot harder when I'm in the woods on a trail, and this one is perfect for someone without a lot of experience--fast and not very technical, but a whole lot of fun.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I have ran and biked this trail. One reason I like this trail is the flow of traffic is one way. Bikes go counter-clockwise and runners/hikers go clockwise, so if you encounter someone it isn't as unexpected as some of the other trails I have been on when there are bikes coming at each other.

Is a pretty easy trail for both biking and running, with opportunities to cut your route short if you like. I know there is traffic on it, even in the dark (with headlamps.) Can get muddy, but is well maintained (just beware of any beaver activity that might change things!)

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Really enjoy this trail -- totally free and surprisingly well-kept. Kind of busy on nice days in the summer and some of those dips for the bikes can be a bit dangerous when runners are "in the zone," but overall it's a relatively easy ride on a bike, and a really enjoyable run.

Friday, June 28, 2013

This is the second trail I've been on and it's amazing. Starts off with some (steep) but nice declines in and out of the forest followed by nice flow. A few optional jumps along the way make the track very exciting. And to top it off great scenery. At any skill level this trail is fast flowing fun, with the perfect amount of tech.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Best bking trail I've ever been on (which isn't a huge amount)! Walking would be OK on it, but it's definitely best suited for non-technical mountain biking. You can burn through it pretty quickly but there are definitely some small hills and bumps to traverse, although if you're good, you can avoid ever putting your foot down!

Sunday, August 12, 2012

I biked the whole trail this morning, it was my first time in a few years. Overall, the trail was well maintained. There were a few sandy sections around miles 5 to 6 that I couldn't get enough traction to bike through. Overall, a fun and fast trail that doesn't have any climbs over 10 to 15 feet in elevation change at once.

Friday, May 18, 2012

The trail is exactly what the name implies; it follows the river. While I suppose the description is correct in saying it is primarily used for mountain biking (I did see tracks), the day my family went, we walked it and saw no one on a bike. I would say "hike" but there really is no hiking to it other than walking. We saw several groups of people walking also and walked into a disc golf range on accident.

For those with dogs, next to the trail is a leash-free park. We met several happy (and wet) dogs!