Horse Thief Trail

Horse Thief Trail is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Marquette, Kansas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

A true gem for Kansas, in fact the mid west. Start on Buffalo Trail to Horse Thief Trail and take the blue short cut back to trail head. You get a little of everything out of the hike from bouldering to prairie lands and wooded areas this is the SPOT in Kansas.

It was a fun hike. It was muddy and slightly underwater in places, so it would be good to bring a second set of socks and shoes There was minimal shade, so sunscreen and a hat is necessary. It is easy to get confused on the trails. We were glad we started recording our hike on the app at the start as without it we might have not found where we parked, at least not very easily.

Great scenic trail. Beware of ticks and lack of markings, however.

First ever hike using the all trails app, loved this! I definitely wouldn't have been able to stay on course without it. The views are beautiful but the trails are badly marked and the last half mile of this trail loop is closed. No clue why, it's just a bit overgrown, but of course nothing tells you that until you're almost home. Trail marker posts weren't readable in a few cases. There is 3G in the area so I was able to track myself without having downloaded the map, but I would highly recommend downloading it first. Without this app I would not have known where to go. Saw a lot of snakes, lizards, birds, and even a turtle! Hiked with my Great Dane and had a lovely time! I gave this trail only three stars because of the poor markings.

We made a start on our plan to hike a list I found called "The 10 Best Hikes in Kansas" by trying the Horsethief Canyon Trail at the first state park established in Kansas. It is almost exactly an hour and a half from our house in Manhattan, Ks, and the change in topography is astounding. We had a blast exploring. Hiked about 4 miles, taking 3 hours to stare at rocks, bugs, birds, caves, wildflowers, take pictures and find ways to cross the "deep water crossings". We loved this place, AND there are still 21 miles of trail in the park that we haven't hiked! The list just got longer. Be aware that while you can find your way across most of the marked "deep water crossing", there was on at the north end of the lake (blue trail) that even the horses have to swim. We turned around at the last ridge and back tracked...which was fine. It made the hike longer, and trails look completely new when going in the other direction.

Great trails. My six year old had a blast climbing all of the rocks and exploring caves! We went off the loop and ended up going about 5 miles. We live 2 hours away and will definitely come back! Tick alert! We all had ticks on us when we got home.

Spent some time here to celebrate the first day of Spring. Off the beaten path, but there were several other hikers. Not very much green yet. Would love to come back in May for the wildflowers.

Great hiking with the kids!! We especially enjoyed all of the caves!

easy but not boring

We hiked this trail a couple of years ago and found it to be quit pleasant. No problems for my husband who has alot of back pain, trekking poles come in handy for crossing the couple of small creeks you encounter. You can easily get up to some caves and there is a brochure that tells about where the Buffalo would come down into the canyon & how the canyon was used to hide horses.

Beautiful trail in the heart of KS

Wednesday, June 08, 2016