George Lathan Hiking Trail

George Lathan Hiking Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lawrence, Kansas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

A great 4 mile loop that had quite a bit of frontage along Clinton Lake. There were 15 marked and established campsites along the trail that were slightly groomed and complete with fire pits and grates. The trail is very well maintained and blazed. Being November most of the foliage had dropped and taller grasses prevalent in the spring and summer months had subsided. I hiked and camped with my 7 year old son who did well on this trail. Elevation gain was mild for the most part. It's a great place for a quick overnighter or weekend getaway that is near Kansas City. There is also a car camping site located at the trailhead that seams to be popular with local college students. All in all a great hike that I will return to.

Nice wooded trail. Hiking with the water somewhat close for a significant part of the loop, but most times would take some foraging to get down to it. Great condition on this beautiful fall day. No problem with ticks, but lots of spider webs. 2 hour round trip at a modest pace

Great little Kansas secret. As others have mentioned ticks and other insects are rampant most of the year. There is a water spigot near the trailhead as well as vault toilets.
Here is some trail video I shot hiking last weekend.

If you start at the north end of the parking area, you will encounter rugged forested hills for at least a mile. It reminds one of the Ozark Mts. It can take 2+ hours to complete the trail and it is loaded with ticks from April until October.

Nice views of the lake.

Good hike. Have done it twice will do it again.

Enjoyed this trail. There are a lot of great views along its 4.5 miles. My wife and I walked it in 2 hours carrying our twins on our backs. Easy to follow trail with camp site options with wonderful views.

This trail provides excellent views and is a great 4.5 mile hike.
I would give it 4-5 stars if it werent for all of the primitive camping spots being occupied by drunken fraternity members.

We use this one often. 4.2 miles in about an hour and a half. There are 15 hike in camp sites. Dog friendly!

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Easy conditioning trail to keep my back in shape for my 32 lbs pack.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

I really liked this trail! Wooded views, Lake views, open fields, and some really serene camp sites. I would definitely camp here. Only passed a few other hikers, which was nice because I was looking for a nice alone hike. Definitely will be back.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Great trail and not very crowded on a perfect Friday night in September.

There are several campsites at the trailhead that I saw a few families setting up at before I jumped onto the trail. The front and back ends of the trail are well-maintained and heavily traveled. The center of the trail was clearly less traveled and overgrown, definitely wear pants.

This is a mostly wooded trail with a couple stints along a prairie and a few openings to the lake. Overall it was an easy trail to hike. There were several areas with loose rock and slopes that could trip you up if you weren’t paying attention. A couple benches are placed along the trail with views of the lake.

There were about 15 campsites with fire rings that were all well-maintained along the trail itself. A majority of those campsites were placed within the first mile or so. There's a long stretch without any campsites in the middle of the trail and there were only a couple sites on the tail end of the trail.

All the camps are clearly marked. My favorite was campsite #5, a large flat site about a half mile from the trailhead with two fire rings, log benches, direct access to the lakeshore - with a perfect view of the sunrise - and trees perfectly spaced for my hammock.

I only saw two groups while on the trail and camping overnight. The first, a couple with their pup who set up a couple sites down, and the other, a group of boy scouts on their way in.

Overall great trail with a selection of well-maintained campsites and views of Clinton Lake. Would recommend.