George Lathan Hiking Trail

George Lathan Hiking Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lawrence, Kansas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 288 feet Route Type: Loop

Great primitive camping spots.

We love this trail, but with the rain and flooding recently a good chunk of the trail is completely underwater no matter which side you start on. About 4-5 campsites are still useable.

It was muddy after all the rain for the last few weeks. The lake was way up and the trail was flooded out about 1.5 miles from the west trailhead. Trailhead campsite has a bathroom and firepits. We hammocked and had plenty of options.

Great trail for a day hike. There's a great view of the lake with plenty of camping spots.

Did an overnight backpacking trip last night (4/13). My first time here, fairly new to Kansas. Seems like a struggle to find backpacking options in Kansas so thought I'd try this out. Stayed at a nice campsite overlooking the lake (#11) Couldn't get to the shoreline very easily from this site, steep bank and thick vegetation. Trail is fairly easy, but a few ups and downs with some rocks to navigate. Lots of firewood available. Was fairly busy for mid April. The only downside is the access road which is rather sketchy. It is literally a "dirt" road with some deep ruts. My car doesn't have much ground clearance, so I did drag in a few places. I wouldn't go near this place if it rained. That road would be terrible. Shame they can't improve that road. (1 star deduct)

Nice trail a little muddy today

One of my favorites. Not too difficult but still enough to get a good workout. Great for families.

A solid 4+ mile hike with thick woods, meadows, lake views, and a very old farming implement.

For the Midwest this trail has a lot going for it. It’s on a reserve with primitive camping spots dotted along this loop that overlooks the Clinton Reservoir, it goes through fields, woods and along the shore line. There’s some fun rocky terrain in quite a few places along with a few water crossings but nothing serious, there’s very little elevation but enough to get a workout. It’s very quiet except for the occasional gun shot (I believe there’s a range across the lake) but I only heard a few rounds and only came across one other couple hiking plus one guy camping. The trail is very well marked in blue, it seems to be well maintained (a tad narrow in places) and I imagine the poison ivy is fairly bad in warmer weather. The trail seems to retain moisture, it was a little muddy and even frozen slick in places but that’s part of the fun I guess. I imagine there’s a lot of wildlife out here too, saw lots of evidence of deer and raccoon so I’m sure there’s more. I live an hour from here but will definitely make it a day trip next time and hang out longer in one of the camping spots, maybe bring lunch and a hammock?

Not much of a hiking trail but great camping!

beautiful

My fave trail so far. Great primitive camp sites and you see water for most of the hike. Has some great views for Kansas.

Lovely trail, we went clockwise and stopped to camp at #12 in hammocks. There was a great fire pit and bench at this camp site and it's right by the water.

Very well marked and maintained trail. Will definitely hike again. A few areas had very fresh tree falls on the trail but nothing overly large or blocking to much of the trail. Was some trash at a campsite but I packed it out.

Sunday, March 04, 2018

Very well marked easy trail. lol bed the lake views

Monday, February 26, 2018

We enjoyed this scenic trail! We were treated to two bald eagle sightings and the walk-in campsites were perfectly placed for the best views.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

This trail is definitely one of my local favorites. Tucked away (basically the locals best kept secret) so it doesn't get super busy, even in the summer months. A great 4-5 mile loop that has some technical parts (especially after a rain!) so it makes for a good heart pumping trek.

Saturday, November 18, 2017

A great 4 mile loop that had quite a bit of frontage along Clinton Lake. There were 15 marked and established campsites along the trail that were slightly groomed and complete with fire pits and grates. The trail is very well maintained and blazed. Being November most of the foliage had dropped and taller grasses prevalent in the spring and summer months had subsided. I hiked and camped with my 7 year old son who did well on this trail. Elevation gain was mild for the most part. It's a great place for a quick overnighter or weekend getaway that is near Kansas City. There is also a car camping site located at the trailhead that seams to be popular with local college students. All in all a great hike that I will return to.

Friday, September 29, 2017

Nice wooded trail. Hiking with the water somewhat close for a significant part of the loop, but most times would take some foraging to get down to it. Great condition on this beautiful fall day. No problem with ticks, but lots of spider webs. 2 hour round trip at a modest pace

Friday, April 14, 2017

Great little Kansas secret. As others have mentioned ticks and other insects are rampant most of the year. There is a water spigot near the trailhead as well as vault toilets. Here is some trail video I shot hiking last weekend. https://youtu.be/HCrijAC-czg

Monday, March 27, 2017

If you start at the north end of the parking area, you will encounter rugged forested hills for at least a mile. It reminds one of the Ozark Mts. It can take 2+ hours to complete the trail and it is loaded with ticks from April until October.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Nice views of the lake.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Good hike. Have done it twice will do it again.

Friday, March 10, 2017

Enjoyed this trail. There are a lot of great views along its 4.5 miles. My wife and I walked it in 2 hours carrying our twins on our backs. Easy to follow trail with camp site options with wonderful views.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

This trail provides excellent views and is a great 4.5 mile hike. I would give it 4-5 stars if it werent for all of the primitive camping spots being occupied by drunken fraternity members.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

We use this one often. 4.2 miles in about an hour and a half. There are 15 hike in camp sites. Dog friendly!

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Easy conditioning trail to keep my back in shape for my 32 lbs pack.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

I really liked this trail! Wooded views, Lake views, open fields, and some really serene camp sites. I would definitely camp here. Only passed a few other hikers, which was nice because I was looking for a nice alone hike. Definitely will be back.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Great trail and not very crowded on a perfect Friday night in September. There are several campsites at the trailhead that I saw a few families setting up at before I jumped onto the trail. The front and back ends of the trail are well-maintained and heavily traveled. The center of the trail was clearly less traveled and overgrown, definitely wear pants. This is a mostly wooded trail with a couple stints along a prairie and a few openings to the lake. Overall it was an easy trail to hike. There were several areas with loose rock and slopes that could trip you up if you weren’t paying attention. A couple benches are placed along the trail with views of the lake. There were about 15 campsites with fire rings that were all well-maintained along the trail itself. A majority of those campsites were placed within the first mile or so. There's a long stretch without any campsites in the middle of the trail and there were only a couple sites on the tail end of the trail. All the camps are clearly marked. My favorite was campsite #5, a large flat site about a half mile from the trailhead with two fire rings, log benches, direct access to the lakeshore - with a perfect view of the sunrise - and trees perfectly spaced for my hammock. I only saw two groups while on the trail and camping overnight. The first, a couple with their pup who set up a couple sites down, and the other, a group of boy scouts on their way in. Overall great trail with a selection of well-maintained campsites and views of Clinton Lake. Would recommend.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Nice trail, relatively easy. I went here with my 3 & 6 year old boys on a Saturday morning to do "exploring". Great couple hours hiking the trail for a few miles.