Cedar Crest Trail; MacLennan Park Trail

Cedar Crest Trail; MacLennan Park Trail is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Topeka, Kansas that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Several short, hard hills if you hike it that way. Takes a while to learn as the trails are not particularly well marked.

Good trails!

Walked this today and really enjoyed my hike. Definitely more bikers but it's easy to hear them coming and move out of the way. The trails are marked however there are a few splits that are not marked which made it a little confusing. You can easily run these trails which I plan on for my next visit. I walked the red trail and jumped to the yellow trail. It's very shady and took me about an hour.

I was impressed to find these trails in Topeka, particularly the wooded portion which treks down by the river for a bit. Be aware you are immediately beside an active train track on the deeper trail and that comes with loud horns. There is enough elevation change here to keep things interesting without being too challenging. My only real complaint is the way the trails are labeled, which is more of a color-coding by type than actual demarcation of different trails. So be sure to snap a picture of the map. Definitely worth exploring.

love these trails we hike these all the time with our 8 yrs old. so close to city but when you're up there it doesn't feel like, as they are quite and well shaded. some sections might get a little muddy after rain and some intersactions could be confusing.. i took a picture of the map in my phone that can come in handy..

This trail gives you the feel of being out in the woods yet you are still in the city. It's moderately difficult. There are many hills to hike up.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Awesome trails definitely coming back

Monday, March 27, 2017

Love the trails at this place, Great place for hiking and mountain biking
MTB ✌

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Nice hike. I'd call it easy as opposed to moderate.

Monday, October 03, 2016

2nd trip with a great friend who knew the Trail much better than I! The variety of mushrooms, dewy cobwebs, train tracks and the Kansas River were all candy to my eyes!! We estimated 4 miles.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

The trails could have been marked better.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

My first visit to the trail! Really enjoyed the adventure. The squirrels were scurrying in prep for winter, leaves were falling, birds chirping and sightings of many different types of mushrooms. It was a very hot day but the canopy of the trees kept me shaded. Very well maintained! I enjoyed the different levels. Can't wait to bring my "hellga" bike the next time. 3.3 miles on my first trip.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Excellent trails. We take our kids there frequently.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Nice MTB ride. First time on these trails in probably a year. I really enjoy these trails being so close to town.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Right next to the governor's mansion is a set of very nice hiking trails. The main trail is good even for children but if you can stay out of the way of bikes there is a whole network of neat trails and loops to explore. Most of them are wooded and almost all are pretty much natural... the way I like them. There is also a nice paved walkway out among the ponds and sparsely treed lawns so there is something for everyone here.

Friday, June 27, 2014

I love this trail. I can squeeze out about 9 mile in a big loop without really repeating any sections. It has decent hills and varied terrain. Or I can make up smaller loops to fit a training needs. Have done most of my trail marathon and 50k training here.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

This place is good for being right next to the populated Topeka area. The trails do not go very far and the few trails there are all go in circles right next to each other so every trail is the same. This place is good if your looking to get a quick run in or practice your hills but don't expect to train for any races here because you will run out of trails very quickly and if your like me I hate running the same place twice in one outing. The view here is pretty cool as it sits higher up compared to its surroundings.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cool mtb trails especially for during the week if you live in Topeka! Parts of Trail get pretty muddy, so be aware of recent weather before tearing down the trail by the river.
Someone installed some fun little log-rides and humpty-dumps in the bottoms near the river. Thanks for the work!

Thursday, June 07, 2012

LOVED this trail!! There are so many different trails that you can take that it feels like you could never tackle them all, so I won't get bored with this trail. It said there was a creek or river running through it somewhere, but haven't found it yet, so I'm looking forward to the day that I do :)

Monday, March 26, 2012

I use this trail for running. Challenging hills but worth the effort. I hardly see people when I'm using the trails so it's a nice getaway from the city. Can be muddy. The red trail is usually the driest.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

This is an urban park on the edge of Topeka. Some very nice trails, good variety, great for hiking and mountain biking. Several ponds for fishing, and river access.