Camp Horizon Loop (Long)

Camp Horizon Loop (Long) is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Arkansas City, Kansas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 8.3 miles Elevation Gain: 715 feet Route Type: Loop

For me foremost, I thought overall it was a good trail. Comparatively to some of the other KS trails around the Wichita area, this was nice in term of length. The trail itself was well-paved, maintained, etc. There are a few cool "views" once as you ascend towards the half-way point and my only suggestion would be to wear a good hat and plenty of SPF, as I personally felt a decent amount was "out in the open." My biggest complaint was how easy it was to "wonder off." The route itself contained many "forks" w/ less-than-ideal markers and I was often found scrambling on the map/my phone trying to figure out which way to go. Because of this, I would also make sure you pack up on your DEET because getting off the trail (for me) more often than not ended up w/ a tick or two buried in my skin. If you are able to stay on the trail the entire way, kudos to you and aside from getting lost I thought it was an overall fun experience

There are a lot of trails to follow. Great hike! A couple times I lost the trail but most of the time the trail is marked well.

We drove about an hour to camp horizon for the first time today and were pleasantly surprised! We did the short loop (the other trail post) first, which is included in this long loop. It was good to do but it is very easy. It begins behind the Welcome Center with a sign titled Lyle’s loop. If you have time you should complete it! It took us just under an hour to complete the 2.6 mile loop. Once we were done there we headed towards the old abandoned cement factory.... There is a fork in the paths and only one has a white arrow on the tree and no other signs, so we followed the arrow. If you want to see the abandoned factory do NOT follow the arrow. Keep going down to the left! While disappointed we went the wrong way, we were so glad we ventured to this half of the trails. It was definitely more challenging than the short loop. More ups and downs, rocks to climb over, and the mud... so much mud! I am pretty clumsy and slipped a few times and sent a few rocks flying, but nothing crazy. We ended up at rock quarry and saw a sign to go back to camp so we didn’t complete this entire loop, but if we had gone the right direction towards the factory at first we might have. It was great though and we have no complaints. The trails were kept very clean and it was about 65 degrees today so there were no bugs to worry about. Perfect hiking day! ** I added my tracking photo from my Fitbit. 5 miles total for doing what I described above

5 stars because there were some very unique sites to see here. A rock quary and an old abandoned cement facility. You could hike up to of the rock quary and down in the cement facility. Lots of history here. This trail takes you down to the river and back. A little variety make it a fun yet long hike.

A friend and I hiked a couple of miles of this trail and then sat at Inspiration Point and watched the sun go down. There were lots of leaves on the ground but the trail was easy to follow and moderate in skill level. I appreciate the people at Camp Horizon leaving their gates open to allow people to hike. I will go back sometime.

Mon Oct 29 2018

Went out with 2 Grandkids age 4 and 10. We walked down and around an easy trail that came out by the Arkansas River. Kids complained but it was easy.