Wildcat Den Trail

Wildcat Den Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Muscatine, Iowa that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

One of the major features of Wildcat Den State Park is its trail system. Trails wind through a variety of terrain and lead to such fascinating sites as "Steamboat Rock," "Devil's Punch Bowl," and " Fat Man's Squeeze." The beautiful bluffs and rock outcroppings provide spectacular views to hikers. Wildcat Den State Park is one of the most unique in Iowa, combining natural beauty and solitude, preservation of historical structures, trails, camping and picnic areas for recreational use.

Great scenery! Would have given it a five but the trails were not marked very well.

Trails well maintained. Very scenic. Not much for signs. Had to depend on all trails tracker.

I agree with Doug Wilmsmeyer and his 5 stars for scenery (and the maintenance of the trails), but only one sign the whole distance, and several forks in the trail, so 2 stars fro signage, which was nearly non-existent.

Great hike. Recommend for everyone.

Prepare to lose your breath and bring extra clothes if you'd like to take a small swim in the river. Very worth it!

I grew up near Wildcat Den and it's still one of my favorite state parks in Iowa. I love taking my kids there now. It's a great place for a family hike and it offers such great scenery.

Very few people. Amazing scenery. Can't wait to go back

Monday, December 26, 2016

Not too overcrowded. Nice scenery.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Is the trail open to mountain biking?? Thanks.

Friday, August 19, 2016

Since this park is close by, it is a great place to get out and enjoy the trails at anytime. There are trails that are fairly easy and some that are more challenging. A great place to get a quick workout in on a weekend.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Great!

Monday, April 25, 2016

We loved this trail! Hard enough for a decent work out without killing yourself. Very pretty. We enjoyed the varied scenery and beautiful trails.

Saturday, March 26, 2016

This park was awesome! They have trails that are in the woods, but we (including the dog) decided to play in the river, and climb up the rock faces! If you bring good shoes or good hiking shoes, you can go about anywhere! And of course, it's completely dog safe!

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Great place to hike! Beautiful area!

Sunday, April 05, 2015

Just completed this hike today with my dog for the first time. It was a pretty fun hike. There's lots of beautiful sights and some steep terrain. I had fun because my dog and I went off trail and did some climbing. It can get pretty crowded on nice days.

Friday, January 02, 2015

Great local place for a nice quick hike. lots of stairs, stream and rock. Great scenery with Grist Mill, School. They are adding a period style log cabin (complete 2015?) next to the settlers cemetary. Nice park

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Coming from a 25 year stint in SE Minnesota, I didn't know what to expect going to this park. I'm sure I camped here in scouting days, but have no recollection of the park.
That said, I enjoyed the park. Fairly easy hike, easy drive from the Quad Cities area. Nice quiet location. Creeks and some sandstone cliffs to view which are nice. Grist Mill is interesting.
I have yet to see any critters outside of hearing birds.

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Good day out !

Monday, September 01, 2014

Beautiful and a great workout. It would be nice if it were signed better from one trail to the next.