The Chute and Heritage Trail Loop

The Chute and Heritage Trail Loop is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Honey Creek, Iowa that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Bring plenty of water, there is no potable water in the area.

would of been 5 if they'd cut the grass along the trails

Saturday, November 26, 2016

I try to hike here at least once per month and I've camped here with both friends and family multiple times. The all trails description says a 4 mile trail but there are many miles of connecting trails within Hitchcock. You can hike well beyond 4 miles. Some trails have some steep inclines, the map is well marked and easy to read. It can be buggy in the summer so bring bug spray. Badger Ridge has some beautiful views. It is one of the best hiking spots near the Omaha metro area.

Monday, November 14, 2016

love it there!

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

it is very pretty and dog friendly!!!

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Amazing set of trails

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Great trails! Extremely well marked trails and accurate map. Good variety of flat paths and inclines.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Tough but good.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Nice trails~well maintained. Love that they allow dogs!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Lots of native wild flowers and fauna. Birding, also.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Really well maintained trails. Lots of bugs so bring good repellent! Only had time to hike the southern trails, will be back to explore them all and possibly do some camping!

Monday, May 30, 2016

Very beautiful. Lots of trails. Kept up well

Monday, April 04, 2016

Beautiful trails! Beautiful views!

Saturday, January 30, 2016

I forget to mention. There is no potable water anywhere on the trails and the only place you can get water is the Hohneke Pond and it has to be filtered and boiled. We pack in all the water we need when staying on the South side of the park.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Me and my wife brought our daughter on her first "backcountry" trip here. The trails are great with a mix of easy, moderate and difficult. After signing out the campsite we wanted and paying our $5 fee we hiked in from the main parking lot on Badger Ridge Trail, from there Wildwoods then Ironwood to our final destination of Westridge Trail. We stayed at the last campsite on that trail. The total hike there on my GPS was 1.99 miles. The views were great and saw plenty of wildlife on the hike in. There was very little shade during the day once we arrived at this site. We set up camp, gathered firewood, made dinner and stayed the night. The temps were warm during the day and cool/cold as soon as the sun went down. There are fire pits and gravel beds for tents at each of the hike in campsites. Same rules as other parks on firewood, dead fallen wood only. I usually end up hauling a good bit to leave at the site for the next person because I pack a good hand saw in with me. We love this park and will be back again and again.

Friday, December 25, 2015

Great place to hike. Never was crowded during my visits here. The hills make it a good workout.

Saturday, December 12, 2015

I live north of Omaha, and this by far the best hiking we've seen in this region. Check out the nature center tower, too. Camping looks good, but haven't tried it yet. Great for hikers who want advanced hike, trail runners.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Best hiking I've ever done in Iowa. The hills are massive. If you try real hard you might think you were in the mountains.

Monday, November 09, 2015

Backpacked and camped overnight a couple weeks ago. A little more difficult then I expected but I had a great time. Nice sand pits for setting up your tent. Very scenic and peaceful. A great place to try out your gear.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Fun set of trails. I did the Westridge and badger ridge beautiful views from both trails I was kind of shocked at the views. The mosquitoes in the hollers are pretty bad so stay up top on the ridge lines. Two reasons why I didn't give a five trails are maintained by a tractor so your kind of walking down a road and no switchbacks going up the hills. But would recommend it to you if you have a couple hours.