The Chute and Heritage Trail Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(94)
Hitchcock Nature Area

The Chute and Heritage Trail Loop is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honey Creek, Iowa that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 521 feet Route Type: Loop

Bring plenty of water, there is no potable water in the area.

fee

Easiest part of Hitchcock and probably most beautiful with the panoramic views.

Great trail, with numerous difficulty options. There were quite a few steep areas, but those were usually short stretches. Very well maintained as well, no litter.

There are several trails here from easy to difficult. And for the most part they intersect at some point so you can basically make your own level of difficulty! The trail was kept and there were plenty of mosquitoes so bug spray is a must.

Trails are well maintained for the most part with some areas overgrown, but still passable. There were a nice combination of moderate and difficult inclines.

Sat Oct 27 2018

It’s a great hike and easy for most the hike. However, the Badger trail , which you have to jump onto at some point, is rated a moderate trail by Hitchcock so if you’re looking for 100% easy, you won’t find it here. There are some good, ass-kicking hills but it’s still a lovely homie overall.

Sat Jun 09 2018

Hitchcock is beautiful! There are some amazing views of the Loess Hills and Missouri River Valley if you’re willing to climb. There are lots of trail markers so it’s easy to navigate as well. Hike can be easy or challenging depending on which trail you take. The map has the trails labelled by difficulty which was nice. Overall, a gorgeous scenic hike, good for all skill levels.

Tue Jul 11 2017

would of been 5 if they'd cut the grass along the trails

Sat Nov 26 2016

I try to hike here at least once per month and I've camped here with both friends and family multiple times. The all trails description says a 4 mile trail but there are many miles of connecting trails within Hitchcock. You can hike well beyond 4 miles. Some trails have some steep inclines, the map is well marked and easy to read. It can be buggy in the summer so bring bug spray. Badger Ridge has some beautiful views. It is one of the best hiking spots near the Omaha metro area.

Mon Nov 14 2016

love it there!

Wed Nov 09 2016

it is very pretty and dog friendly!!!

Tue Nov 01 2016

Amazing set of trails

Tue Nov 01 2016

Great trails! Extremely well marked trails and accurate map. Good variety of flat paths and inclines.

Fri Sep 23 2016

Tough but good.

Sun Sep 18 2016

Tue Aug 30 2016

Nice trails~well maintained. Love that they allow dogs!

Tue Jul 26 2016

Lots of native wild flowers and fauna. Birding, also.

Mon Jun 06 2016

Really well maintained trails. Lots of bugs so bring good repellent! Only had time to hike the southern trails, will be back to explore them all and possibly do some camping!

Mon May 30 2016

Very beautiful. Lots of trails. Kept up well

Mon Apr 04 2016

Beautiful trails! Beautiful views!

Sat Jan 30 2016

I forget to mention. There is no potable water anywhere on the trails and the only place you can get water is the Hohneke Pond and it has to be filtered and boiled. We pack in all the water we need when staying on the South side of the park.

Sat Jan 30 2016

Me and my wife brought our daughter on her first "backcountry" trip here. The trails are great with a mix of easy, moderate and difficult. After signing out the campsite we wanted and paying our $5 fee we hiked in from the main parking lot on Badger Ridge Trail, from there Wildwoods then Ironwood to our final destination of Westridge Trail. We stayed at the last campsite on that trail. The total hike there on my GPS was 1.99 miles. The views were great and saw plenty of wildlife on the hike in. There was very little shade during the day once we arrived at this site. We set up camp, gathered firewood, made dinner and stayed the night. The temps were warm during the day and cool/cold as soon as the sun went down. There are fire pits and gravel beds for tents at each of the hike in campsites. Same rules as other parks on firewood, dead fallen wood only. I usually end up hauling a good bit to leave at the site for the next person because I pack a good hand saw in with me. We love this park and will be back again and again.

Fri Dec 25 2015

Great place to hike. Never was crowded during my visits here. The hills make it a good workout.

Sat Dec 12 2015

I live north of Omaha, and this by far the best hiking we've seen in this region. Check out the nature center tower, too. Camping looks good, but haven't tried it yet. Great for hikers who want advanced hike, trail runners.

Tue Nov 10 2015

Best hiking I've ever done in Iowa. The hills are massive. If you try real hard you might think you were in the mountains.

Mon Nov 09 2015

Backpacked and camped overnight a couple weeks ago. A little more difficult then I expected but I had a great time. Nice sand pits for setting up your tent. Very scenic and peaceful. A great place to try out your gear.