The Chute and Heritage Trail Loop

The Chute and Heritage Trail Loop is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Honey Creek, Iowa that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Bring plenty of water, there is no potable water in the area.

would of been 5 if they'd cut the grass along the trails

Saturday, November 26, 2016

I try to hike here at least once per month and I've camped here with both friends and family multiple times. The all trails description says a 4 mile trail but there are many miles of connecting trails within Hitchcock. You can hike well beyond 4 miles. Some trails have some steep inclines, the map is well marked and easy to read. It can be buggy in the summer so bring bug spray. Badger Ridge has some beautiful views. It is one of the best hiking spots near the Omaha metro area.

Monday, November 14, 2016

love it there!

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

it is very pretty and dog friendly!!!

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Amazing set of trails

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Great trails! Extremely well marked trails and accurate map. Good variety of flat paths and inclines.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Tough but good.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Nice trails~well maintained. Love that they allow dogs!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Lots of native wild flowers and fauna. Birding, also.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Really well maintained trails. Lots of bugs so bring good repellent! Only had time to hike the southern trails, will be back to explore them all and possibly do some camping!

Monday, May 30, 2016

Very beautiful. Lots of trails. Kept up well

Monday, April 04, 2016

Beautiful trails! Beautiful views!

Saturday, January 30, 2016

I forget to mention. There is no potable water anywhere on the trails and the only place you can get water is the Hohneke Pond and it has to be filtered and boiled. We pack in all the water we need when staying on the South side of the park.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Me and my wife brought our daughter on her first "backcountry" trip here. The trails are great with a mix of easy, moderate and difficult. After signing out the campsite we wanted and paying our $5 fee we hiked in from the main parking lot on Badger Ridge Trail, from there Wildwoods then Ironwood to our final destination of Westridge Trail. We stayed at the last campsite on that trail. The total hike there on my GPS was 1.99 miles. The views were great and saw plenty of wildlife on the hike in. There was very little shade during the day once we arrived at this site. We set up camp, gathered firewood, made dinner and stayed the night. The temps were warm during the day and cool/cold as soon as the sun went down. There are fire pits and gravel beds for tents at each of the hike in campsites. Same rules as other parks on firewood, dead fallen wood only. I usually end up hauling a good bit to leave at the site for the next person because I pack a good hand saw in with me. We love this park and will be back again and again.

Friday, December 25, 2015

Great place to hike. Never was crowded during my visits here. The hills make it a good workout.

Saturday, December 12, 2015

I live north of Omaha, and this by far the best hiking we've seen in this region. Check out the nature center tower, too. Camping looks good, but haven't tried it yet. Great for hikers who want advanced hike, trail runners.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Best hiking I've ever done in Iowa. The hills are massive. If you try real hard you might think you were in the mountains.

Monday, November 09, 2015

Backpacked and camped overnight a couple weeks ago. A little more difficult then I expected but I had a great time. Nice sand pits for setting up your tent. Very scenic and peaceful. A great place to try out your gear.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Fun set of trails. I did the Westridge and badger ridge beautiful views from both trails I was kind of shocked at the views. The mosquitoes in the hollers are pretty bad so stay up top on the ridge lines. Two reasons why I didn't give a five trails are maintained by a tractor so your kind of walking down a road and no switchbacks going up the hills. But would recommend it to you if you have a couple hours.

Saturday, July 11, 2015

This is an excellent reserve to experience an unexpected amount of biodiversity and get a workout. Seriously, the numbers of species of birds and butterflies is completely unexpected. Bugs can be maddening in the hollows on wet years, so I stick to the ridges. It's an effort but you'll feel wonderful. If you can hack it (to be honest I barely can) backpack and stay the night at one of two sites on Westridge. The high winds keep the irritating bugs away and you'll be gazing ~down~ on bird activity.

Just be wary of ticks.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

If you are an ultrarunner, the hills at Hitchcock are great training for races that may have big elevation gains. Many Greater Omaha Area Trailrunners (GOATz group) regularly train here.

Friday, May 29, 2015

This will count for a leg day to let you know. There are some steep hill out there! Trail management is the reason I gave it a lower rating. Half the trails are not full marked or even visible, lots are over grown. Other then that, the views were amazing overlooking the bluffs and hills. Also don't forget the bug spray lots of standing water so the bugs are plentiful!

Monday, May 25, 2015

This was a really fun trail! It was our first time hiking in Nebraska. this is a great trail, would definitely recommend wearing hiking boots with your pants tucked into your socks due to the American Dog Ticks, we found 8 of them on us. But overall it was a good hike. Oh, and there is a $2 entrance fee

Saturday, September 20, 2014

My husband and I were very pleasantly surprised by the hiking in Hitchcock. the trails are nicely marked and the paper maps are accurate. We were definitely surprised by the difficulty of some of the trails. We'll be back frequently this fall. I'm sure it will be lovely when the trees stay to turn.

Thursday, May 22, 2014

I've been hiking the trails in Hitchcock for a few years, and it is the best for training in backpacking. The scenery viewed from the higher ground is excellent. Stay on the marked trails, yesterday I noticed a lot of poison ivy, but seen deer and a golden eagle.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

My wife and I just visited the property this past weekend taking my 9 year old daughter on her first overnight backpacking trip. I was very impressed with the trails and the hike in camp sites. There are pea gravel pads for pitching your tent and a fire ring next to it at each camping spot. The trails on the South side of the property are very well marked but the trails on the North side of the property are hit and miss as far as markings go. The only water we saw in the park was the pond located in the North side. We packed all our water in with us. We will be going back as soon as the weather permits. I wasn't expecting the trails to be difficult (because they weren't in the mountains I'm used to backpacking in) but I was very surprised on the difficulty of some of them.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Of the trails around Omaha, I find that Hitchcock provides the best "natural" feeling trail system. I get out there every couple of months and can easily spend 3-4 hours in one afternoon just heading out on a trail and taking a sister trail back to the nature lodge. There are some steeper trails for those looking for more of a challenge and some even graded trails for those looking for a lighter activity. Great for families and not too crowded. It is about a 20-30 minute drive from downtown Omaha.

Saturday, September 14, 2013

I enjoyed this place alot. We saw alot of wildlife, some great views, and trails were very nice. Some of the hills were steep...which made for a great workout. The trailside campsites were cool (gonna have to try some of them out) theres a ton of trails to check out.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

You really have walk each and every trail out at Hitchcock Nature Center to experience it all. The woods are really pretty depending on the time of year you go. I would recommend early spring or mid-fall when all the leaves are changing. If you take the furthest North trail (can not remember name) you get a pretty good view of skyline of downtown Omaha.