Sugar Bottom Trail

Sugar Bottom Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Solon, Iowa that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 511 feet Route Type: Loop

Love these trails. Very close to North Liberty, so I can make the commute on my bike via Mehaffey bridge paved trail. Usually in good condition with some down trees. Beautiful ride though, I’m always stopping for photos.

Great trail, hands down!

For Iowa, this is some of the best mountain biking available. It offers something for everyone, from beginner friendly to some pretty advanced terrain. If you're looking to hike or bird watch, be aware that this trail is heavily trafficked by mountain bikers for it's high quality. These trails close when muddy. Please check the ICORR page for up-to-date trail conditions.

Wed Aug 22 2018

Great trail system with miles and miles of trails. Have spent an entire day on these trails and still didn’t ride them all.

Fri Aug 03 2018

I took my 4 kids ages 5-10. The green trail was not easy for them as it was up and down a lot with tons of tree roots as obstacles. I had a trailer tandem for my 5 year old and the uneven hills caused the bar to rub my back tire. Positive was that there is a road straight through we could easily cut back to return to the car when needed. Lovely nature and peaceful scenery.

Sun Jul 22 2018

As good as it gets for mountain biking in Iowa.

Wed May 16 2018

This trail was very disappointing. I mean it had good terrain but it was very short. When I hike, I like to go for 4-6 hours. This trail took less than an hour and I spent more time hiking on the road back to my vehicle. Not to mention it’s the only available hiking trail at Sugar Bottom. For serious and avid hikers, don’t waste your time!

Sun Feb 18 2018

Beautiful trails, even in the winter!

Fri Jul 24 2015

Many side trail loops on both sides of the fire road. North side is most challenging. ICORR has put much labor & money into it's infrastructure. Narrow paths for bikes, watch your back.

Mon Sep 22 2014

Great mountain biking. 6 different loops, 3 different skill levels.

Tue Jul 09 2013

If your looking for a trail just for a hike Sugar Bottom isn't a bad place, but if you like me and you want scenery and encounters with wildlife and other nature this trail isn't for you.

recorded Sugar Bottom Trail