Stephens State Forest Area Trails

Stephens State Forest Area Trails is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Woodburn, Iowa that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and camping.

Buck Stop Camp was the destination. It was definitely a challenge to get there to say the least. We hoofed it with 3 guys and a female and a red nose Pitty named Zeus. After we made it to Buck Stop, we spent the next few hours gathering wood and cutting logs. If you go anywhere in this park, make sure you are covered in repellant and your pants are tucked in your boots. All 4 of us got our legs covered in chiggers and for 3 weeks we were all itchy. There is an ice cold flow pump at the parking just left of the exit. It's orange and it was fantastic. No real scenery here. Good training for backpackers and a wonderful spot for isolation.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

(We hiked the Woodburn side of the park) Good park. Lots to do. Trails were poorly marked...

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

A great, secluded backpacking spot. Rarely saw anyone else on the trail and there was always a camping spot open. My only complaint is that the trail is undergoing some kind of maintenance and there are quite a few muddy deep tire tracks that have just mangled the trail. At some times it's difficult to even tell whether you are on a hiking trail or a bulldozer path of destruction. If they could clean up all the mangled trail bits this would be one of my favorite Iowa hiking spots.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

I am writing this after a visit in Dec., and I'm hoping to get back out a few times in the summer. Anyway, this is public hunting land and is packed during deer season. My brother and I hunted the weekend of first shotgun season last year, camping out at one of the pack in campsites on Sat. night. I suggest wearing orange if you must hike during deer or turkey seasons.

Also, I will add that I was quite annoyed at all the ATV's that other hunters were illegally driving through the forest.

Sunday, November 04, 2012

Nice trail. Gentle hills. Forested. Isolated hike-in camp sites.

However, be very careful indeed on this trail through trapping season (11/03/2012 - 01/31/2013). Recommend avoiding if walking with animals or children. Leg hold traps are on the trail path and around camping areas. High amounts of leaf cover on the floor make these impossible to spot. Dog caught in one on the trail on 11/03/2012.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

5 remote campsites accessible only on foot. Buckstop Camp located on top of a ridge near a row of pines was my favorite. Didn't see another soul there during my 3 day trip.