Maquoketa Caves State Park

Maquoketa Caves State Park is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Maquoketa, Iowa that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

old growth

Very beautiful! Especially in the fall. Lots of caves to explore, both big and small. Be prepared for some good cardio, lots of stairs and hills. To hike all the trails took us approximately 3 hours. Would definitely go back!⭐️

Love! My absolute favorite!

lots of fun up and down with plenty of caves to look into

The trails were really easy for our family with young children and there were a lot of cool caves to explore. It was fairly clean and nice facilities.

Very easy, but actually quite a variety and an adventure!

Great place to hike and explore!

Awesome trail. Lots of caves to explore including a huge walk through one. This map helped alot to keep us in the right path. The trails aren't well marked. This 1.7 mile path took us about 3 hours which included plenty of water breaks. We will definitely go again to explore more of the trails.

14 caves and 6.6 miles

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

The views were great and I love how we were able to walk through the the caves

Friday, September 30, 2016

Beautiful! My boyfriend and I spent almost a whole day there!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Very fun hike! Good for my 4 and 7 year old boys. My only complaint is that the trails aren't marked well.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

We were @ the caves in Maquoketa state park on Sept17th/ need to have garbage can's @ least outside shelter buildings. Only in bathroom and they were very, very over full! Lots of garbage down by trails / around the caves. I realize they can not get so easy to garbage can's down by caves but there is a solution for a small part of this. People riding around in gators can @ least dump the garbage can's in the bathrooms. It was between noon and 3:00 when we were there. Hate to see such a great park get run down by simple things that can be done. The caves are wonderfull!!! Our grandson loved them.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

My family and I love the caves. We enjoy hiking here a few times each year as it is fairly close to home. The trails are beautiful and caves are definitely a great work of art by nature. The kids and dog love getting dirty while spelunking through the various caves and creeks. Highly recommended!

Monday, August 29, 2016

The caves were really cool, first time I'd ever been! Loved it!

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Really nice spots, great nature with caves and small rivers. You can visit ice caves and/or rainy caves.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

I loved the view, the trails were interesting and we even saw a doe and her babies. Highly recommend!

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Went on a Tuesday, which I would highly recommend. parking was no problem, but weekend was packed. trails and caves were great. bring flashlight and walkie talkies for when you get separated, bug spray, water, and a towel if warm.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

it was amazing. Would do it again. However, I found the map and markers around the trail to be confusing. it seemed as if I was not the only one confused either.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Beautiful scenery. Trail is not long but you can do several loops. Would do again!

Monday, June 13, 2016

This is a fun place. There are caves for all abilities. We visited right after a rainstorm so we encountered significant mud, but it was great fun. There are not miles and miles of trails, so if you are looking to log miles, this is not a great place. The trails are heavily traveled and packed.