Hitchcock Nature Center Loop Trail

Hitchcock Nature Center Loop Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honey Creek, Iowa that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,269 feet Route Type: Loop

Absolutely lovely with so many options to veer off to. Trail markers were clear and helpful.

An awesome park. The Lodge has activities for children, the observation tower is great for viewing raptors. Each year they seem to add another trail, and they keep improving the old ones. Fox Run Ridge is mostly easy with some intermediate challenges in climbs. The view at the end varies from year to year depending on if the farmland is flooded, but it's spectacular. That have a modern campground, & also primitive sites. Cost is now $20 year or $3 a vehicle per day. Yearly pass gets you into all Pottowatamie County parks for 12 consecutive months. They give you a windshield sticker. Nice, friendly rangers (Chad & Chad), helpful gal at the Lodge, too.

Best trail around the Omaha area! Beautiful views and a great work out

Very beautiful. Hike was very hilly with some steep spots, and mostly wooded. Would recommend taking badger ridge out and blazing star back for best views. $3 daily entrance fee.

Beautiful hike in late July. Trails were very well kept and easy to navigate. Light to moderate trail traffic. Backpacked to cottonwood campsite #3 overlooking flooded farmland. The beginning of the hike in the lowlands surrounded by trees had choke mosquitos. But once we got up in elevation and out on the bluffs the bugs were almost non existent. Beautiful overnight hike with my teenage kids and dog. Can’t wait to do it again.

Combination of trails mixes degree of difficulty from easy to difficult to allow you to train as hard as you desire.

this place is absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!! great work out!

We went on a quick backpacking trip here and had a great experience. There are plenty of trails to choose from and most merge and intersect so you can plan your own custom route to take. Some of the harder rated paths were a little overgrown and if you go in the summer expect lots of bugs. overall it's a very pretty area with ups and downs and good views. We plan on going again in the future.

I hiked this yesterday and really liked it a lot. I’m here visiting from WA state where I hike frequently. This is for me was as close as I can get to an elevation gain hike with spectacular views like I’m used to back home :)

definately a work out. a little difficult to navigate, but a great hike.

Great trails and views. Really enjoyed the variety of elevation and difficulty. Was very peaceful, not crowded at all and the trail maps and guides are great.

Beautiful views! There are many trails to choose from while your there , grab a map and start exploring the Loess Hills

Monday, October 22, 2018

A really peaceful hike. Must see if you’re in the Omaha area.

Monday, October 15, 2018

challenging and scenic. always a strenuous workout for me.

Tuesday, October 09, 2018

My second-favorite place to hike in the Metro. I've been hiking the trails in here for a decade and there are so many options (different trails, different difficulty levels) that it can feel like you're somewhere different each time. My favorite hike to take Fox Ridge Run all the way to where it ends at a beautiful overlook, then go back, cut across the parking lot and catch Badger Ridge. I then cut down Hidden Valley and take Angel's Dead End back up to Fox Ridge Run. It's a nice little workout. $2.00 entrance fee or $10.00 yearly. $10 will get you a tent site as well!

Monday, October 08, 2018

Best trail I’ve done in the Omaha and beyond area so far

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Some very steep areas that are great for training and conditioning for long hikes in the mountains. Beautiful autumn colors are already here.

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Great hiking for Omaha area. Only place around that will actually challenge you a bit, but you have options. You can make it a easy hike and stay flat or add on loops and make it challenging. There are also great primitive camp sites 1-3 miles into the trail. They have table, fire pit and 2 man tent spot. Must reserve.

Sunday, July 29, 2018

One of the closest hiking to Omaha. We come here all the time. There are a lot of short trails here that you can combine to make harder or easier hikes depending on your wishes. They are all well marked too. So, take a map with you (you can grab one at the parking lot) and enjoy! Oh, there is also an overlook at the office to check out.

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Great trails for hiking with my dog. Beautiful scenery!

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Really enjoyed how the trails were “natural” at some points and it provides good practice for “climbs”

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Great place for dogs.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

love this trail! use it for training for long distance hikes.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Real hilly trails this place has! I wish I lived closer so I could hike/jog it more often. I haven't found a better place to go than Hitchcock in at least a 200 mile radius from where I live.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

I loved it. I hiked two trails and was one with nature.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017