Hitchcock Nature Center Loop Trail

Hitchcock Nature Center Loop Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honey Creek, Iowa that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Real hilly trails this place has! I wish I lived closer so I could hike/jog it more often. I haven't found a better place to go than Hitchcock in at least a 200 mile radius from where I live.

I loved it. I hiked two trails and was one with nature.

Beautiful sunrise! Good trail running for the area. Never really busy!

My favorite local hike.

Love it. Clearly marked trailed. Beautiful scenery. Lots of options.

This trail was a great place to hike on! The path isn't very "paved" so it was ragged and rough after the first quarter mile. Also, not much tree coverage so expect lots of sun! We started on the Fox Run Ridge and cut over to Dozer Cut which felt like mostly steep downhill trekking and then jumped back on to Fox Run Ridge (they meet at a point) until we hit the dead end which was kind of rewarding as it's a beautiful look out! We turned around and hit the Hohneke Trail to Hawk Ridge. Just before taking Hawk Ridge there's a small "pond" which wasn't worth walking by as it was swampy and gross. Hawk Ridge is marked as a moderate trail on the paper map, but it was very difficult since it was all uphill and again not paved at all. Then we made it up to the boardwalk and walked around the road to get back to our vehicle.

The paper map marks trails blue - easy, yellow - moderate and red - difficult. Fix Hill Ridge and Dozer Cut were both Blue and it they were moderate and yellow was definitely difficult so we could only imagine what red had going on.

**Going downhill was steep and going uphill was probably the best (most difficult part).

$2 entrance fee. Nice trail options. Bathroom available at the Lodge. Cool tower to climb.

A hidden gem right outside of Omaha with plenty of trails from easy to difficult. The trails lead to picturesque views of the Loess Hills into the prairie grasses of Iowa.