Cinder Path is a 15.3 mile point-to-point trail located near Chariton, Iowa. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length15.3 miElevation gain282 ftRoute typePoint to point
Photos (16)
Activities (6)
Completed (19)
Adam Prose
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 22, 2020
HikingBugs
View Adam's activity
Brad Utterback
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 24, 2020
Walking

Second time here. Put in 5 easy miles on foot.

View Brad's activity
April Ritchie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 27, 2020
Hiking

Nice clean path. Dog friendly.

View April's activity
Brad Utterback
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 29, 2019
Mountain bikingBugs

Overall the Cinder Path was pretty decent. There were a few places that needed some attention but nothing major. There were several small bridges and a covered bridge to pass through. We didn’t see any deer but saw several squirrels and a chipmunk or two. The trail through Derby was grass and went through some backyards in town. When we got to the next intersection it appeared to be very overgrown. My wife and I are both allergic to poison ivy and dislike wild parsnip so heading any farther would’ve been a no go. Wish we could have done the full 30 miles. I rode my Roscoe 8 and she was on a demo Powerfly 5 full suspension. Four stars!

Brad Utterback
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2019
Mountain biking

Overall the Cinder Path was a good ride. There are several crossings with bridges and one covered bridge. I rode my Roscoe 8 and Shannon was able to ride a Powerfly 5 full suspension bike. She could have easily whooped up on me the whole trip! It is a beast! We planned on riding the whole thing from Chariton to Humeston but just past Derby the trail was pretty overgrown. It would have been hard to ride so we decided to turn around. The overhead canopy of the trees made it shady on our late morning ride.

View Brad's activity
Luke Graham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 8, 2019
Running

I run or bike it several times a week. It’s rail to trail so it’s straight and flat. Surface is fine rock/dirt that stays smooth most of the time. It can be very muddy after rain and during warm winter days. I haven’t been west of Derby since there isn’t much of a trail left. There are quite a few bridges and a nice covered bridge just over 6 miles from Chariton and Derby is about 10 miles out. Watch out for raised nails on some of the bridges.

Travis Dean
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 11, 2017
Running

Nice surface, tons of wildlife, no interruptions.

Katie Nolte
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 31, 2017
First to Review

This trail is very well maintained in both counties, however Wayne County side of the trail is grass. When I biked the trail, the grass was mowed short and we are in a draught so it was pretty much all dead. According to my Garmin it is 15.5 miles from Chariton to Humeston. 10 miles to Derby from Chariton. This is on an old rail line so the sites are nice and they do have areas to rest on the way (some are in need of repair). I would highly recommend the trail for trail running, biking, walking and best of all, dogs are allowed.

Erin Selix
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 6, 2020
View Erin's activity
Kirsten Plowman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 1, 2019
View Kirsten's activity
Jeremy Cochran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2013
Mountain biking