Brown's Woods Trail

Brown's Woods Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Des Moines, Iowa that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a great location to hike or run. It is a double wide trail that is only a short drive from the city and bikes are not allowed. This is a nice moderate dirt trail through Browns Woods. It has primitive benches to rest along the trail, a cellular phone audio tour, and port-a-pottys at the parking lot.

Great trail, one of my weekly runs. 3.2 miles around the big loop, but doesn’t get boring if your doing multiple laps. The construction that has been going on seems to be completed.

Good trail, easy to get turned around when you reach the river, especially if you are on the wilderness loop and end up going an extra 2 miles on the northern loop! Peaceful walk with a moderate incline near the river but not too bad. Would recommend bug spray if going during the summer.

Main part of the trail was under construction when we went. We read reviews and completely covered ourselves in deep woods bug spray and were still swarmed! I plan to give it another chance at the end of fall when the bugs are gone

Great views. Bring bug spray- the mosquitos swarm around walkers and joggers.

Interesting trail, great for trail running.

A great trail that allows you to walk your dog in a timber setting without the bicycle congestion.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Trails are great even after a rain it isn't really muddy. Just bring bug spray if you don't want to breathe mosquitoes. Otherwise it's awesome

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Wonderful for jogging, really gives your legs a workout! Bring your bug spray....

Monday, July 10, 2017

Bring your bug spray!

We went in the morning and the mesquites were very intense! The trail is a dirt packed path, which is pleasant to walk on. Quite a few parts are covered with moss, so probably not the best place to hike after recent rains. The full loop is a little over 3 miles, add in the small loop and you can add about another half mile to the tally. Decent inclines and declines throught out. There are busy roads in close proximity, so if going counter clockwise on the loop, the road is heard for half of the hike, then fades off in the distance for the second half. Very good forest scenery...lots of birds spotted.

Friday, July 07, 2017

I loved this trail! that's all, just loved it.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

I brought my lab puppy here today and we both loved it! it's a nice loop and I'm excited to come back during Spring. We only saw one other person so it was very peaceful.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Great morning hike for locals or visitors. There are a few inclines. None are longer than .25 miles. It is close to the airport. No mistaking you are still close to civilization, but we came face to face with deer and found some interesting local vegetation. FYI - the trail is slippery when wet, wear hiking boots or shoes.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Nice little hiking loop. Enjoyed the fact that it was a dirt trail and not paved. Takes you back deep into the woods and almost makes you forget that you are in the Des Moines area.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

This was my first time on this trail and I loved it! I took my dog out, and she loved it just as much  There is a short and long route. We did the long route and it is a perfect length and difficulty for an intermediate hiker. It was extremely buggy so make sure you wear repellent!

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

First time out today with two kids and a dog. Loved every minute! Took the long trail loop. Beautiful.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

So peaceful! Great place to go for a run in Des Moines without dodging bikes.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Enjoyable hike. Lots of interesting birds along the way. Some downed trees across the trail, but easy to get over or around. As a curvy woman, I wished I had brought my hiking sticks. There were several up and downhill slopes that would have been helpful to my knees if I had a little extra support. Only saw two other people on the trail. Very quiet and relaxing.

Monday, April 14, 2014

This is a great go-to place for individuals, families/friends, and dogs. Bikes are not allowed, so you don't have a constant worry that someone will come flying around the corner and take you or your dog out. This is just south of Des Moines, so very conveniently located if you live in town. We hike our dogs there usually once a week or more, depending on weather. It can get a little muddy in areas, so if we had a good rain, you might want to wait it out for a couple of days, as spots can get messy and/or slick. Very beautiful year round, but especially in the spring and fall. Excellent shade on a warm summer day, too. Right now they are adding some longer loops (I think set to be complete sometime in 2015), which I'm excited about so I can take longer hikes out there. It's a little hilly, so if you are bringing little ones, you might want to try the small loop first. There are a couple of steeper hills on the big loop.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

I love this trail and hike it several times a week. 1.9 miles of woods with gentle hills, gives this 74 year old cardiologist all the cardiovascular workout he needs.