Westwood Park

Westwood Park is a 9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near New Castle, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

Really fun trail. Pretty easy to walk, and definitely a day well spent. Both the map and the lady in the gatehouse said it was more like 10.5 miles. Went on a perfect Saturday and only saw a handful of other people--although hikers must watch out for mountain bikers. Most of the cyclists encountered were really nice, while two of them nearly mowed my friend and I down. Just gotta be aware. Easy trail to follow and some pretty nice views along the lake. Do it and enjoy!

Nice hike with wildflowers and lake views. I enjoyed the variety of foliage. You don't feel the elevation gain much as there aren't any big climbs.

Prep for a 3 day backpacking trip. Looking forward to a hike without a pack in the next couple weeks. Westwood is an incredible part of this community!

Just what I needed near home (Cicero) in preparation for a 3 day Smoky Mountain hike. Great hike with my son from Chicago this Sunday afternoon. I'll be back!!

My first off road ride in 20 years, It was great. Took the better part of three hours. It had rained earlier in the day so everything was slick. Vary challenging for a new rider, but in the end a lot of fun.

Nice, scenic 10-mile trail for trail running/hiking. Some switchbacks make it more of a moderate trail. I hiked/ran this in 2 hours 45 minutes. Great workout in beautiful solitude.

This is a great trail. Ten mile min, Ten mile max. No short cuts or cut through. Bush whacking is not an option. Great path. Slight ups and downs.

Trail very easy to follow once you find the trail heads. Start at the parking lot and try to walk around the lake counter clockwise. As close to the water as reasonable. You will find the trail. The bikes have it well marked.

This is now one of my top 5 trails in Indiana.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Great loop! Just enough hills to be consider moderate. The lake is beautiful to look at while hiking and the trail is constantly changing.

I love this trail and will definitely be back!

Saturday, October 29, 2016

A very good hiking trail. We scared up squirrels, a groundhog and deer.
Some trail intersections could use better signage, but we managed to make our way back to the car with a little help from park workers.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Great for mountain biking, hiking, fishing, and enjoying camping on the camp grounds. The trail is a circle around a lake two way. If you go in 5 miles the only way out is 5 more miles. Nice views of the small lake all along the trail

Monday, May 30, 2016

This was a wonderful trail!!!! I really enjoy how maintained it was. It was a little hard to understand where the trail head was because it was not very well marked from the far end of the parking lot and the beginning sections were not clearly marked either but once on the trail it was very nice walk for a Sunday stroll! I will be back again!!!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

I do really like the trail really pretty when my kids were at home we took horses and loved it then now I'm back riding my mountain bike man it is a leg burner at times but that's what I like didn't see any other riders at all

Thursday, May 19, 2016

I loved it my legs were like spaghetti when I was finished

Monday, May 09, 2016

Very nice place. They camp ground is very clean. Restrooms are new and clean. Very quiet. Will be back!!

Thursday, March 31, 2016

We hiked this two weeks ago and the trail was in great form. Well maintained and things were starting to bloom and green over. There are some great views of the water and it's fun to see all the different bridges they've built over the 10 miles.

Thursday, November 19, 2015

We only went about two miles in, but is a great lake trail! We had kids with us. Little kids. I want to return soon and do the whole trail.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Very nice trail, has a lot of variety along the way from wide to narrow and up and down. The rest stop at 5 miles is a nice place to have lunch. The park managers do a great job of maintaining the trail and also the park itself. Worth the work out, which it most definitely is.

Thursday, August 06, 2015

Awesome park and campground. The mountain bike trail is top notch if you can ride but its not for beginners or those with low quality bikes. The trail has some good hills to climb, is a technical trail but has no man made features other than positioning of downed trees for natural obstacles. The trail is well marked and has signs posting the way out if you can't make it. Bridges are numbered and miles are posted so if you need help you can tell them where you are. I've seen a couple reviews where they called for help because they were not prepared for their trip around the lake, that isn't the parks fault. Plan for your trip, know where you are going and have some personal accountability. An injury is one thing but being unprepared is different. The trail is 10 miles one way for bikes and is at a minimum an intermediate if not expert (just because of the hills, technical difficulty and distance) rating. Go prepared for a great ride! The page here lists the trail as 10 miles and 2 hours but my normal times around the loop are about 50 minutes, it will all depend on your ability as a mountain biker.

Hiking the trail, take plenty of water and some snacks. You can hike it in either direction but it is recommended to hike in the opposite directions of the mountain bikes. It is a great hike with plenty of shade when the leaves are on. Watch for the exposed roots on the trail, the rain has eroded the dirt away from many of them on the hills over the years and present some pretty good trip hazards. Makes for an awesome day hike with some benches to sit on with an excellent lake view about the 5 mile mark. Great place for a picnic.

Friday, May 08, 2015

Nice walk through the woods. Trees starting to leaf out. Baby geese have hatched

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Definitely worth going! Make sure you go with plenty if time and do it slowly. Preferably accompanied. Not a hard trail, just long.