Wabash Heritage Trail

Wabash Heritage Trail is a 12.8 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Battle Ground, Indiana that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

old growth

Tippecanoe Battlefield Park 200 Battleground Avenue Battle Ground, IN 47920-7026 Get Directions (765) 567-2147

The whole 12.8 was open today and was an enjoyable hike. It’s a lot sandier than I expected so it’s a good idea to wear ankle socks or even gaiters if you’re intense! The trail is mostly flat but there are some small, exciting elevation changes within 2 miles of battleground. Bathroom and water stops accessible along the way.

Great Trail to find your stride and keeps you on your toes.

Enjoyed the near pristine woods with huge trees. A lot of the trail along a creek. Muddy spots even in late Oct! Hiked from Battleground to Davis Ferry.

Due to the topography, it can bet wet and buggy. Go in early spring or fall or in a dry period. Wet = bugs.
Has some pretty areas though.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

This would be a great trail. This day it was mud and bugs. We went from the battle ground to the ferry bridge. We had to get an Uber back, it was just to buggy and way to muddy.
This is a one way trail so its either double back or get a ride. It could be a long as you would like. There are many good cut off points.
The trail is by the river. Great walking and a good path if its not been raining heavily.
This is a NO BIKE PATH. At least the part we hiked. We did see one set of bike tracks.
We will come back in the fall. This will make a great cool weather trail.

Friday, June 30, 2017

Great hike along the Wabash river..only problem is its cut off..do to construction and flooding.

Thursday, November 03, 2016

Great trail for walking dogs. Great trail for kids. Can start at either end or even in the middle starting at the Lafayette golf course.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Trail is muddy in places and very sandy in others. Easy hiking and trail doesn't loop around so you have to hike back the way you came. I never ran into anyone while hiking about 2 miles out and 2 miles back. Definitely do not hike it alone if you get a little creeped out. I ran into large animal tracks and that ended that trail for me.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

I took this trail on 10-10-15 from the Battleground area to 65 overpass. First time out on the trail. Hiked prophets rock then took this hike. It is nice to read the info posts thru the trail. I also learned a good amount of history due to the posted signs. It turned dark before I started to head back which was quite interesting with no light. Either way I do look to the day to walk the entire trail from the battleground to the fort.

Thursday, August 07, 2014

We walked this yesterday. Started at Battleground, ate our picnic lunch on the Pedestrian Bridge, then went on Fort Ouiatenan. A beautiful hike. Magical scenery that felt otherworldly. A special Indiana place.

Saturday, May 03, 2014

I have walked this trail since I was 10. It is very nice but could use many improvements. It has now been extended all the way to Fort Ouiatenon, making it 13mi. in length. A portion of the trail is urban, because it goes through downtown Lafayette. The stepping stone crossing of Burnett's Creek is a little frustrating. The trail gets flooded a lot. I also wish there were more access points along the southern portion of the trail.

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Been walking this trail since I was old enough to walk. It has expanded some, and is a wonderful area.

Monday, March 04, 2013

I went in late winter on a cold but sunny day. This trail will get your boots muddy, but it is a fine family trail so long as the younger ones are sure-footed and are not bothered by the 100+ man made stepping stones. This is one of the better trails in the area and begins at an interesting historical battle site. Still, it is not a back-to-nature trail. Virtually every half mile is interrupted by the things of man, including a highway, railroad, interstate underpass, high-tension power lines, barking dogs from adjacent houses, and a fairly scary trailer park. But I bet during lush seasons when the trees are with leaves it would seem more secluded.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

This trail is fun to hike. I hiked it in early spring after the level of the river went down. Several areas of the trail get flooded out during the rainy season.

Monday, June 06, 2011

Starting at the site of the Tippecanoe Battlefield there is plenty to see before you even start. There is a short loop of one mile you can take at the start called the Prophet's Rock Trail. It is very hilly and does walk you through some nice scenery but I'm not sure it was worth the effort personally. I'd suggest you call ahead and check trail conditions if it has been raining a lot, I had to cut my first trip short because of high water but was able to finish it the following weekend. The trail was mostly flat walking along both Burnett's Creek and the Wabash River. The trail is marked fairly well which helped a newbie like me and they also have points of interest type of sign post along the way. Eventually the trail will extend to Fort Ouiatenon but currently ends in West Lafayette.

recorded 3-10-18