Two Lakes Loop Trail

Two Lakes Loop Trail is a 11.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near St Croix, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Southern Indiana may have broken some records for rainfall as it poured for five days prior to our trip. Park personnel and conservation officers looked at us like we were crazy for trying the loop after such heavy rainfall - and we were. The trail was impassable in a dozen places and we trekked an extra 6+ miles off trail to get around flooded areas. The lakes were gorgeous, but stay away from this loop in early spring.

terrain and trail around Indian lake was decent. however, Indian lake was nasty. stunk like stagnant water and was so low you couldn't walk down to the edge to filter water due to the deep mud all the way around the shore. campsites were few and not very close to water. Celina lake looked much nicer but didn't have time to hike around it. I suggest doing this loop counter clockwise and plan to make it to Celina lake before you can find decent campsite. the overall condition and signage of the trail was very good and was great walking. this would be a good early winter hike, summer hikes would be hot and buggy. it's a heavily used trail, we met lots of other overnight backpackers along the trail.

Really beautiful trail! Pretty easy to walk--elevation changes were for the most part gradual and not too steep. The trail was incredibly well marked and easy to follow, even with lots of dry stream beds and fallen leaves covering the trail. Very quiet. Lots of really nice places to camp along both lakes. Doesn't get much better than this in Indiana!

The trail is 15.5 miles not 11.5. I hiked the trail counter clockwise from trailhead. The tail is well marked and I didn't run across any other backpackers until day 2. Camped at Indiana lake south side by the dam. Overall enjoyed the trail, plenty of water available.

Labor Day and I had a free weekend but no buddies to go backpacking with, so I chose this loop. Holiday weekend and so I had three days, two nights. Perfect weather that weekend! I could've done the loop in two days, but I was happy to take my time. I thought this trail was mostly easy, well marked, good campsites. I ended up joining a family group there for the weekend because I didn't want to bushwhack to see Jason's Falls on my own. I wouldn't say it was worth it, unless we didn't actually find the true Jason's Falls. I would do it again if I wanted an easy, relaxing loop with some decent views. The spiders and webs across the trails were crazy, traffic was light on the trails, people everywhere were friendly. Water was readily available almost the entire time around the loop. The ticks were really bad too, just a warning. I think my 3 and 5 year old kids could do most of this, just doing some of the shorter loops.

Love this place... but Mother Nature not so much. good workout and lots of different landscapes. Friends and I had been planning a weeklong hiking and canoe trip, hiking here and canoeing blue river.
Taking off work derby week...$$$
Getting packs, fishing equipment and canoe loaded...just time
Starting off in light rain... no problem
Hiking all day in increasing worst weather... no fun
Getting stuck in a tent for 23 hour because of a monsoon... 2nd worst thing ever.
Hiking back out soaking wet and everything double the weight and most of the trails flooded...Bataan Death March
Coming back after drying out camping in the campground and canoeing across Lake Celina spending all day fishing... best week ever!!!

good weekend getaway. a lot of elevation changes but good prep for a nice hike

Excellent overnighter! With everything changing landscape it feels like you're getting multiple trails in one!

Five stars, hands down! This is one of the best, prettiest and walkable trails I have ever been on, and I've been hiking for many years. I went in mid-June--trees were gorgeous, great weather. Like as others noted, the only not-so-good part was the north side where there had been logging. The trail almost disappeared as it was so overgrown with weeds and tall grass. Overall, a fantastic experience. I will be visiting this trail many times!

Nice trail. Great camp spots along the trail.

Very simple trail, great for a short weekend trip. Beautiful scenery.

Not what we expected at all. Reviews are deceiving. Will not go back.

Best part - we saw one squirrel.

Great trails, clearly marked. Moderate elevation changes. Beautiful scenery.

Great trail. Gets 4 stars instead of 5 because the Northeast section is heavily logged. Nonetheless, the trail is a gorgeus mix of lakes, hills, and streams.

If you're like me and you're backpacking the trail and want to do most of your hiking the first day, then walk the trail counter clockwise starting around Lake Cecina.

Saw a deer & 4 turkeys. Picked a beautiful camp spot overlooking Lake Celina and watched the sunset. Trail is well marked and water is plentiful (in April). You'll cross several shallow streams and creeks. Depending on time of year you may have to wade a couple of them.

We chose to tackle it over 2 days (1 night). Wonderful trail, glad we did it.

This is a gem of a trail tucked away in the Hoosier national forest. Excellent lake views from many sections of the trail (with leaves down). A nice mix of long level sections coupled with some challenging climbs especially on the north side of the loop. Signs were posted at all major intersections along with a "you are here" note on the map. Outstanding selection of campsites with fire pit and nice view of lake or stream. Excellent access to water via the two lakes and numerous streams that feed into them. Backpacked the entire loop with my son and nephew in two days (1 night). This proved to be a little too much physical exertion. Next time will do it in 3 days (2 nights) and try to relax more. Skipped the heavily logged northern section and just walked on the road which parralels the trail for about 1 mile. I've hiked all over the smokies, big south fork NRA, red river gorge, Cumberland NP, and a number of locations in the northern Rockies. My opinion: if done during spring or late fall this trail rivals thes more popular trails in terms of remoteness, ruggedness, views, trail quality, and campsite selection. Will definitely be going back again.