Learn more

Two Lakes Loop Trail is a 11.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Branchville, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 11.4 mi Elevation gain 1,414 ft Route type Loop

Photos (297)
Recordings (131)
Completed (294)
Sarah Jessica
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingBugs

Decent trail. It’s a 12 mile hike not 15-16 mile. Bring bug spray, water filter and tweezers. A decent amount of campsites along the trail as well. Very nice site after you pass lake Celine right as you enter the woods. Please remember leave no trace, picked up lots of trash on our hike.

Islam N.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jul 03 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

This was my first backpacking trail in Indiana, and I loved it. Very low traffic, lots of water sources (must filter), and some nice woodland views. I caught a nice largemouth at Lake Celina, and we did find a lot of turtles on the trail by the lake. We cut through the gravel road on the way back (traveling clockwise) since we didn’t have time to do the full trail. I will say though A LOOT of TICKS. Luckily my dog didn’t get any because he’s got a preventative, but I got at least 12. I recommend lots of deet and treating your clothes before hiking. The northern part of the trail is quite overgrown, this is probably where I caught most of the ticks. But overall I really enjoyed this hike, and recommend it to any beginner backpacker.

Lawrence Fichter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 20 2020
Bugs

This is a true Southern Indiana treasure! Most times you will find the solitude we are all searching for with little to no trail traffic. Be aware ticks are out in force but they have invaded almost every state these days. Preventative techniques are the key. I will spray my clothing inside and out with a sawyer product the day before and hang to dry. This includes socks, underwear, and hat. Then before I dress apply deep woods off being careful not to spray the most private spots. Once at the trail head I'll do another spray shot of deep woods off and take the bottle with me. In the summer as we all sweat it may be neccessary to reapply. Wear light color clothing so the ticks are easily spotted. A week ago I was out on the trail for 9 hours and was was tick free and thats clearing brush and trimming limbs and briars from the edges. So take several quarts of water or Gatorade, yummy things to eat during your breaks, and go out and enjoy your day of hiking in the fabulous Hoosier National Forest. Its truly one of a kind found only here in Indiana :)

Timber Dawson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 08 2020
BackpackingBugsMuddy

We took the kids on a 2 night backpacking trip on this trail. Lots of fun little critters for the kids to see (deer, frogs, toads, newts, birds, fireflies, and a tiny baby box turtle!). The trail isn't too hard--our 4 year old made it the whole way. The weather was beautiful for the weekend but we only saw a couple other people. We loved the secluded feeling. The trail is a bit boggy in places and you'll need some sort of bug protection. Even dripping in deet and tick repellant we still managed to get quite a few bites. Those in the group wearing pants fared significantly better than those in shorts. Also, there are thorny bushes that hang over the trail in places that bothered those wearing shorts. It's a nice pretty hike though and we enjoyed ourselves a lot. :)

Martin Monson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 06 2020
BackpackingBlowdownBugsFee

Started at the trailhead and went clockwise around both lakes. Started about 5:30 at night and walked just past the dam on Celine Lake. Got refreshing cold water from the spillway. There is a great backcountry camp on the right once you enter the woods again after the spillway. USE SOME TYPE OF TICK REPELLENT. There were lots of ticks. I used a combo of permethrin and Deet and only had a tick or two. Those who didn’t use anything were covered quickly. Did the second part of the loop the next day. Started about 8:30 and made it to the car about 1:45. Stopped twice to filter water and at the last creek crossing for lunch. A moderate trail mainly because it was so wet and slipper in a lot of places. Not a lot of elevation change but enough to get you breathing hard in a few spots.

Madison Dora
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 06 2020
HikingBugsMuddyOver grown
View Madison's Recording
Alex Trombley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue May 26 2020
HikingWashed out

Slightly washed out like others have said. Distance according to my GPS was over 13 miles, not 11.4. Passed some awesome looking dispersed campsites and would come back to use those. It was a bit long for a day hike.

Ben Pitonyak
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon May 25 2020

If you're going clockwise, the trail is pretty nice until you get to the second half of the loop. This trail is absolutely infested with dog ticks and deer ticks. We had to pick off over 70 of them. I won't come back here unless it's winter. Don't hike this unless you're prepared to deal with ticks.

Missy Meier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat May 09 2020
Muddy

some of the trail is a disaster from overuse and springs running through it causing muddy conditions.

TJ X.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri May 08 2020
Hiking

Good trail. Mildly difficult. if you make it to the north side of Indian lake you might be crossing the Anderson and Tiger river barefoot if you don't want wet feet. Also there are still some maps posted in the park that indicate a trail closure of a .9 mile section that runs between the two lakes. These maps are outdated and the trail is open.

Greta Anya
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Apr 27 2020
HikingMuddy

Beautiful trail with lots of different types of terrain. We had a great time and didn’t see any other hikers on the weekday morning we went. A bit longer than 11.4 according to my Garmin. Better to go when it hasn’t rained recently.

Kate Tye
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Apr 21 2020
BugsMuddy

My first backpacking trip... Started at 11am and hiked counterclockwise, took my time and camped on a stream just east of the south end of the major connector trail. Finished around 11am next day. Great for a first timer, lots of water, pretty views, wildlife. Muddy in places, and some of the stream crossings are deeper- manageable with good boots. Some parts of the trail are flat and wide while others are steep, overgrown, or thin- lots of variety.

Ryan Creekmore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Apr 20 2020
Hiking

My son and I camped south end of Indian Lake. The trail was great with little underbrush yet. The creek crossings were good but I can see where after a decent rain they would be high to cross. Where they are logging the trail gets lost in the mess. All in all it was great!

View Ryan's Recording
Sean Heffley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Apr 19 2020
HikingFeeMuddy

Only did part of the trail. Definitely one to come back to to do the whole trail. Muddy in parts but not overwhelming.

View Sean's Recording
Alex McClain
Hiking

Great trail, well maintained, scenic with plenty of backcountry opportunities. Will have to come back!

Jennifer Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Apr 05 2020
HikingMuddyOff trail

Follow the trail, not the map. The trail detours a couple times.

View Jennifer's Recording
John A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 04 2020
HikingClosedMuddy

Hiked the Celina half of the trail using the Celine Dam Road to make the shorter loop. The sign still says the actual connector trail that splits the loop is closed. We didn't hike in to see what the condition actually is. It was a little muddy in just a few spots and 2 or 3 places had fairly knew fallen trees across the trail. Overall the trail was in very good condition. We had a great time hiking with some sunshine on us (trees not yet filed in with leaves).

Morris Pearson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 14 2020
HikingMuddyWashed out

A good trial I've always wanted to conquer. My hike was about 12 miles and took me about 6 hours. There was one portion I nearly lost the trail because they had cut down tons of trees in the middle of the forest leaving a clearing with lumber completely covering the trail. It started raining when I reached the end of the first lake. Once you are passed the second lake you'll have to cross two very large streams and if it's been raining you'll probably have to get wet to cross them. Trail could probably be done in 5 hours, but after getting soaked up to my knees my pace drastically slowed. Overall it was a great adventure.

Jerry Blackerby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Mar 13 2020
Hiking

Nice trail, well kept, and maintained. recommend it to anyone wanting to get out for a day or 2