Two Lakes Loop Trail

Two Lakes Loop Trail is a 11.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near St Croix, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Good trail, don't do it after a rain though, trail will be really muddy.

Mother’s Day weekend hike! Great time! Few suggestions- we had intentions of hiking it counter clockwise after reading the reviews - but if you park at the main Trailhead- you can only hike clockwise- for an overnight trip- if you go clockwise the second day is mostly uphill which stunk! But we had a great camp site on the edge of Indian Lake- and the traffic was very low! Will do this one again - and will park past the trailhead on the road and use a connector trail to go counter clockwise!

Avoid the Northern part of the loop and the temporary gravel road connector (normal connector is closed). Logging from the past and current has ruined the Northern part of the trial, sad. You can make a worthwhile trip backpacking the Southern side clockwise, staying on Indian Lake, then backtrack the way you came in. Be ready to deal with mud, but plenty of water sources end of April.

Indian Lake section much better than Celina Lake section but overall decent hike. Several stream crossings that could be tricky if water high. Long ascent/descent getting to Indian Lake from either side. Muddy in sections due to recent rains. Good backcountry camping spots throughout although it was a little busy 4/21. Avoid gravel road shortcut at all costs and stay on loop.

Did the loop CW on 4/21 with an overnight on the west shore of Indian Lake. A few fallen trees and a little muddy in spots but overall very good

I have had this hike on my to do list for a few years now. The forecast called for the low 70’s and I jumped in my car. A few thoughts.
1) The trail head was easy to find- just a mile or so on the left as you enter the park.
2). There is nothing to not like about this trail. It’s a lot easier than the Adventure Hiking trail down the road in O Bannon Woods State Park.
3). The trail, for the most part, was easy to follow. There were a few places where flooding had washed out small sections of the trail.
4). There is some logging going on during parts of the hike. If you begin going counter clockwise, you will get the worst of it over, early in the hike.
5. If you are backpacking, there are a few really good spots to camp overlooking the lake.
6) i saw a few dear.
7). With two bottles of water and some snacks, I was back at the car in about 4 hours with muddy shoes.
8) if you looking for some solitude, you will find it on this hike.

Nice trail the older version said only 7 mil s but inbelieve closet to this app saying 11ish

Nice trail for a early season overnight. Pretty muddy in the bottoms but I have to consider that southern Indiana has had lots of flooding in the last few weeks. I would still hike this trail again.

Went august . Beautiful . Loudest crickets I've heard at night. Like a full orchestra. Saw coyote . And snakes. Some ticks. In tall grass

Wonderful trail and great campsites for a simple 1 night trip. Did it in mid-august and saw very few hikers. The two dams make for a great spot for lunch or sunset.

Had a great time . Beautiful area , first time here and won’t be the last . The brown leaves on the trail quickly turned all white ! Started with sleet and snow it did !

Southern Indiana may have broken some records for rainfall as it poured for five days prior to our trip. Park personnel and conservation officers looked at us like we were crazy for trying the loop after such heavy rainfall - and we were. The trail was impassable in a dozen places and we trekked an extra 6+ miles off trail to get around flooded areas. The lakes were gorgeous, but stay away from this loop in early spring.

terrain and trail around Indian lake was decent. however, Indian lake was nasty. stunk like stagnant water and was so low you couldn't walk down to the edge to filter water due to the deep mud all the way around the shore. campsites were few and not very close to water. Celina lake looked much nicer but didn't have time to hike around it. I suggest doing this loop counter clockwise and plan to make it to Celina lake before you can find decent campsite. the overall condition and signage of the trail was very good and was great walking. this would be a good early winter hike, summer hikes would be hot and buggy. it's a heavily used trail, we met lots of other overnight backpackers along the trail.

Really beautiful trail! Pretty easy to walk--elevation changes were for the most part gradual and not too steep. The trail was incredibly well marked and easy to follow, even with lots of dry stream beds and fallen leaves covering the trail. Very quiet. Lots of really nice places to camp along both lakes. Doesn't get much better than this in Indiana!

The trail is 15.5 miles not 11.5. I hiked the trail counter clockwise from trailhead. The tail is well marked and I didn't run across any other backpackers until day 2. Camped at Indiana lake south side by the dam. Overall enjoyed the trail, plenty of water available.

Labor Day and I had a free weekend but no buddies to go backpacking with, so I chose this loop. Holiday weekend and so I had three days, two nights. Perfect weather that weekend! I could've done the loop in two days, but I was happy to take my time. I thought this trail was mostly easy, well marked, good campsites. I ended up joining a family group there for the weekend because I didn't want to bushwhack to see Jason's Falls on my own. I wouldn't say it was worth it, unless we didn't actually find the true Jason's Falls. I would do it again if I wanted an easy, relaxing loop with some decent views. The spiders and webs across the trails were crazy, traffic was light on the trails, people everywhere were friendly. Water was readily available almost the entire time around the loop. The ticks were really bad too, just a warning. I think my 3 and 5 year old kids could do most of this, just doing some of the shorter loops.

Love this place... but Mother Nature not so much. good workout and lots of different landscapes. Friends and I had been planning a weeklong hiking and canoe trip, hiking here and canoeing blue river.
Taking off work derby week...$$$
Getting packs, fishing equipment and canoe loaded...just time
Starting off in light rain... no problem
Hiking all day in increasing worst weather... no fun
Getting stuck in a tent for 23 hour because of a monsoon... 2nd worst thing ever.
Hiking back out soaking wet and everything double the weight and most of the trails flooded...Bataan Death March
Coming back after drying out camping in the campground and canoeing across Lake Celina spending all day fishing... best week ever!!!

good weekend getaway. a lot of elevation changes but good prep for a nice hike

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Excellent overnighter! With everything changing landscape it feels like you're getting multiple trails in one!

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Five stars, hands down! This is one of the best, prettiest and walkable trails I have ever been on, and I've been hiking for many years. I went in mid-June--trees were gorgeous, great weather. Like as others noted, the only not-so-good part was the north side where there had been logging. The trail almost disappeared as it was so overgrown with weeds and tall grass. Overall, a fantastic experience. I will be visiting this trail many times!

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Nice trail. Great camp spots along the trail.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Very simple trail, great for a short weekend trip. Beautiful scenery.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Not what we expected at all. Reviews are deceiving. Will not go back.

Best part - we saw one squirrel.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Great trails, clearly marked. Moderate elevation changes. Beautiful scenery.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Great trail. Gets 4 stars instead of 5 because the Northeast section is heavily logged. Nonetheless, the trail is a gorgeus mix of lakes, hills, and streams.

If you're like me and you're backpacking the trail and want to do most of your hiking the first day, then walk the trail counter clockwise starting around Lake Cecina.

Saw a deer & 4 turkeys. Picked a beautiful camp spot overlooking Lake Celina and watched the sunset. Trail is well marked and water is plentiful (in April). You'll cross several shallow streams and creeks. Depending on time of year you may have to wade a couple of them.

We chose to tackle it over 2 days (1 night). Wonderful trail, glad we did it.

Friday, March 31, 2017

This is a gem of a trail tucked away in the Hoosier national forest. Excellent lake views from many sections of the trail (with leaves down). A nice mix of long level sections coupled with some challenging climbs especially on the north side of the loop. Signs were posted at all major intersections along with a "you are here" note on the map. Outstanding selection of campsites with fire pit and nice view of lake or stream. Excellent access to water via the two lakes and numerous streams that feed into them. Backpacked the entire loop with my son and nephew in two days (1 night). This proved to be a little too much physical exertion. Next time will do it in 3 days (2 nights) and try to relax more. Skipped the heavily logged northern section and just walked on the road which parralels the trail for about 1 mile. I've hiked all over the smokies, big south fork NRA, red river gorge, Cumberland NP, and a number of locations in the northern Rockies. My opinion: if done during spring or late fall this trail rivals thes more popular trails in terms of remoteness, ruggedness, views, trail quality, and campsite selection. Will definitely be going back again.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

I went this past weekend;Saturday night thru Tuesday morning, with my cousin. We had a good time. If you just stay on the trail then there really isn't a lot of the rock cropping that people speak of. Regardless, I would do it again. The campground seemed pretty nice as well. We spent out last night there. Good place all and all. We did the entire loop.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

A friend and I hiked in mid-November, so the trail was pretty empty, aside from a handful of hikers and hunters. Camp sites by lake celina can easily be found and in close proximity to the lake, but this time of year you can't use the lake for water. Lower water levels and the mud surrounding makes it impossible to get close without sinking. Other than that, the trail is enjoyable. Easily marked, and the camp space we stayed at was nice with a fire pit and some stone seats. Next time we plan to hike the trail backwards and camp at Indian lake.

Monday, March 06, 2017

Hiked the Lake Celina loop. Started at boat ramp and went clockwise around south side lake, across Dam and north along cut though to north side roadway. Nice rocks at first part. Trail was little muddy but passable. Didn't care for the clear cut areas on north end. Total trip little less than 9 miles

Monday, February 20, 2017

Friend and I did the outer loop 2/18-19 2017. We were first timers, so I thought I would write a review for other first timers. See my uploaded photo with the map and red arrows. Tried to point out specific camp locations with existing fire rings. We parked at the Celina lake boat ramp, hiked counterclockwise to the northern most camp on the west side of Indian lake...thinking that was about halfway - not. The switchbacks along the southern section make the trail much longer than we thought. Don't rely on pumping from Indian lake in the winter months, they lower the level and it is surrounded by mud flats. There are numerous small flowing water locations around both lakes - the locations on the map that show a blue line are the more major ones. Enjoyed the numerous pine stands that broke up the hardwood forest views. I would suggest parking at one of the parking locations along the main entry road just passed where the trail crosses - they all have connector trails to get you to the outer loop. Trekking poles are necessary, lots of slippery slopes. For beginner/entry-level backpackers I would suggest utilizing the cut-through trail the first time, the outer loop I would call more for the moderate/more experienced "Indiana" backpacker. Lots of elevation changes and water crossings make this trail adventurous. Some of the water crossings would require shoes and socks off to cross after a major rain. It rained on us Sat. afternoon and evening, but we could still tip toe across all water crossings on Sun.. It was interesting to find out portions of this trail are part of the American Discovery Trail (google it, interesting reading). Take the interpretive trail south of the Celina boat ramp - along the lake - it has some interesting rock remnants of the sandstone quarry. It was a very enjoyable trail and can't wait to do it again.