Trail #7

Trail #7 is a 1.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Deer Mill, Indiana that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Shades. Trail 7

This along with trail 8 has become my favorite trail at The Shades. We began on an easy trail from the campground to the main trailhead. Once we got to trail 7 we descended down Kickapoo Ravine to Sugar Creek. We went directly to Sugar Creek instead of taking the stairs that ascended back up the ravine. Once we reached Sugar Creek we turned left to meet up with Trail 8, which ascends Shawnee Ravine. By taking the trails in this manner we were able to avoid most stairs and ascend using rugged ravine terrain instead of the stairs. It is also cooler in the ravines so during the summer especially I would reccomend taking the trail in this manner.

Great views of the river. **Section of stairs was inaccessible right after the river overlook.**

Most of the trail follows a creek bed. It was mostly dry when I was there on Labor Day. I would definitely bring water shoes if you are hiking this trail between March and May. Would love to hike this trail again when the water is running.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Listed here as EASY. Park guide lists as RUGGED (0.875 mi.) Nice loop trail including hike through gently sloped rock streambed of Kickapoo Ravine.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017