Trail #2

Trail #2 is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Deer Mill, Indiana that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Full service state park with expected amenities; for fee tent and RV camping (but no modern hookups), modern Shower and restroom facilities, backpacking primitive camp. Parking at most trail heads.

Very fun hike, walking up the ravine. Our ten-year-old loved it.

Listed here as EASY. Park guide lists it as RUGGED/VERY RUGGED (1.25miles). As others have recommended, take the trail clockwise, which is to say, go left at the loop start. Steep descent down a couple hundred stair steps. Beautiful trek up Pearl ravine with nice rock/tree overhangs up to Maidenhair Falls (a small 6-8ft fall). A little further out of the ravine and then several series of more easily navigated stairs back to the trailhead. IMO, this is one of the more rugged trails in this part of the state.

Trail never disappoints! Less crowded than turkey run and just as pretty. Clockwise on loop and you'll do stairs down and walk up ravine/stream. Either way is great.

Awesome views! We started the loop going right and enjoyed every minute of this trail. The most difficult part for us was actually the steep staircase at the end of all things. Might actually have been slightly easier taking the loop clockwise at the beginning if you're worried about difficulty.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

The Pearl Ravine can be found on trail 2 at Shades. When you get to the loop portion, go left. (unless you want to hike down the ravine and up several stairs.) Wear a good pair of hiking shoes and be prepared for mud. At the falls you will be rewarded with an amazing view of sandstone cliffs. Trail is somewhat strenuous for the novice hiker.

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Had a blast in the pearl ravine and devil's bowl yesterday. Trail1 & 2. Bring a good pair of hiking shoes and don't be afraid to get a little muddy. It will be a great adventure.

Friday, July 03, 2015

Great! Walked through the ravine the whole way, very fun

Sunday, July 21, 2013

We have only had light rain for awhile so I was comfortable tackling this trail alone. There are many staircases on the steep sections and it travels along a creek bed and over extended portions of rocks frequently. Be prepared to get your shoes wet and muddy. It is peaceful and easy to access within the park. It is safe for children who would only need minimal assistance over the wet rocks but would not be ideal for inexperienced. There is a delicate waterfall midway thru the loop and many birds and flower species. I will definately return with my children. +pit toilets and water fountain at the trailhead.

Friday, July 27, 2012

My husband and I tacked this last weekend on a lightly-hot day. It hadn't rained in sometime, so I was confident that the river bed part of this trail would be fine for me in my vibrams.

Ha! =)

There were some deep mud issues, coupled with poison ivy issues, that made a few feet impassable. So like any MMORPG must-do-it-all gamer, we went back, went around the other way until we were in sight of where I did not dare tread. =)

Gorgeous trail with many steps, a wide well marked trail topside with the river bed being somewhat more 'free for all'. We nicknamed this the Butt Blaster due to the steps =) We will definitely hit this trail again, We loved this trail and the atmosphere of Shades!

Thursday, July 05, 2012

Note on Les Phagan's review: this park trail is located in the state of Indiana. :-)

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I really loved this trail, my only regret was going during a heat wave. I really had no idea just how rugged parts of this trail were but the scenery was some of the most amazing I've seen in this part of Indiana. The parks staff were very helpful and friendly and I do plan on going back in the fall when the weather isnt so extreme and camping a few days to try more of the trails there. It's nice that your park admission get you into the neighboring Turkeyrun State Park as well.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Best trail at Shades, by far, hit ten to the nature preserve for a good combo.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pearl Ravine, trail # 2 at Shades SP, coupled with Lover's leap trail, is about 1.8 miles. There are 10 trails at Shades. Pearl is perhaps the most scenic and interesting. A lot of steps. steep inclines, rocky creek beds, and more, consider it very strenuous. It takes one through a deep ravine with many moss covered, fern covered logs, hillsides, towering cliffs, waterfalls. The whole park's terrain is a total surprise and unexpected for area. Very highly recommended. You can spend several days in the area if you take in some canoing, wonderful hiking opportunities here and at Turkey Run state park, just a few miles away, and if you tour the covered bridges in the county, over 35 in the county alone.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hilly for Illinois.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Great trails system with overlooks of Sugar Creek and canoe'ers in the summer time and fall. Campfesters' enjoyed this trail during the 4th Annual Campfest. Combine Pearl Ravine with Pine Hills Nature Preserve and you'll have a nice day of hiking! As always, I advise the use of a good walkin stick, like the ones I make for Campfesters' who come to Campfest!