Tolleston Dunes

Tolleston Dunes is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Portage, Indiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is an easy to moderate hike for beginners with a few tall inclines which made it a little harder than expected. We took the long loop and the only complaint I have is the bugs. They were determined to be in my face; so even with lots of spray, I was fanning them away continuously with the trail map. I'd hate to see what they're like when there's actually been rain.
Did see some cacti and some other cool flowers I haven't seen before. There was even a cute little garter snake on the trail.

Great place to hike and walk the pooch

This is a great trail. It's full of wildflowers & prickly pear cactus in the summer. Lots of birds as well. It takes you through a bog & up a dune. Great views. If only you could cut out the sounds of the highway & trains!
Bring bug spray in the summer.
Lock your car & be aware of your surroundings.

This was an awesome trail! We're first time hikers and this is just what I was looking for, there were hills, and branches and sand dunes! I love it, we even seen a bunch of deer going through the field!

Decent but not great trail.