User could not be found.

Tipsaw Lake Trail

moderate 48 reviews

Tipsaw Lake Trail is a 9.0 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Leopold, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.0 km Elevation Gain: 100 m Route Type: Loop

Beautiful diverse forests! If it rained recently you may have to be extra careful not to get wet at the stream crossings.

nice trail, good views of the lake and not too hard, mostly flat. has plenty of opportunity to see wildlife. I saw signs of fresh deer tracks, turkey, ducks, and lots of song birds. half surprised I didn't see an eagle.

I did a winter hike around the lake on a clear sunny day today. The streams had good flow to them today and you had to be strategic in your crossing not to fall in while hopping the stones across. Trekking poles made the steam crossings a breeze. Trail in great shape. I hope that one day someone paints new blazes on the trail just to make it easy to follow. I would say you can’t get lost but you can get off trail in many areas very easily. All in all a great hike.

We had a recent light snow and it made the trail really stand out. Great walk around the lake, very easy trek. Had a little trouble with my recording, must have hit pause and missed 1/2 mile of re riding. Only criticism of the trail is that the blazes need to be repainted to make them stand out.

Great hike, we saw lots of different wildlife and that kept the kids so entertained. The map seems to be way off though, when we checked our Garmin’s and Apple watches it was much closer to 7 miles. We went off the trail to the beach for lunch but there’s no way that added 2 miles.

Great trail ! Loved it, there was 3 of us and we did the loop around the lake 2 times. It was marked well with signs, the marks on the trees are faded, but they are there if you look for them. We stared at the boat ramp. 9/7/2019

I enjoyed the trail. I would come back and maybe swim and camp for the night. Well maintained.

Wonderful trail overall (pretty, lots of wild life, neat landscape changes, looped) HOWEVER; my mother and I were pulling ticks off of us the whole entire time! Pulled over 100 off of our dog in the following days. I saw other reviews that said the ticks were bad, but I thought that they were exaggerating. No exaggeration at all. Maybe try this trail in the fall/winter to avoid them?

3/17/19 I took my family (wife, 14 yo, 10yo) for a hike around the lake. The trail pretty muddy which we werent prepared for. My wife and kids had tennis shoes on so they were trying to avoid the mud which slowed us down considerably. Also there were several creek crossings that got our feet wet but I actually enjoyed them. We only saw one other hiker all day. The 5.9 mile hike took us 3.5 hrs but I was proud of the kids for pushing through. Over all Id really recommend the trail if youre prepared for the mud and water. Also I liked that the trail is a loop rather than out and back.

Mon Sep 17 2018

Slightly overgrown. Lots of spider webs and chiggers.

Sat Sep 08 2018

Not a bad hike, just uneventful. Upkeep not great.

Sun Jul 29 2018

I'm not sure if these directions are correct. The trail they take you to is so overgrown. I thought people pay to get into Indiana state parks/forests? What does Indiana use that money for?

Wed Mar 21 2018

Enjoyed this trail watching lake activities during a good part of back trail. A bit swampy in some areas during wet season.

Sat Feb 24 2018

Pretty flooded with all the rain recently, but that’s to be expected. Very fun trail.

Sat Sep 23 2017

Fun trail but was COVERED in all different kinds of ticks. We had to stop every 30 min or so to pick the ticks off. After the trail we went straight to the beach to change into swimsuits. We found another ~15 ticks on our clothing and socks. We had used a deet free bug spray. I would suggest getting something stronger if doing this trail in the summer.

Fri Jun 23 2017

Nice trail ! In early spring parts of the trail could be flooded due to the lake and spring rains.

Mon Jun 19 2017

Great trail for mountain biking or hiking.

Wed May 31 2017

Great trail, very muddy in spots after a recent rain but very worth it. Had the trail all to myself.

Mon Feb 27 2017

I liked it and loved all the pine forest around the lake.

Wed Dec 14 2016

Love this trail! Fun as can be! Between the lake view, all the Pines, creek crossings and maintenance of the trail its perfect! Not hard at all (has its moments though) only saw one backcountry campsite but did see two group sites at recreation areas. Definitely a trail I will come back to!

Sat Nov 12 2016

Nice trail for a day hike

Mon Jul 18 2016

Nice trail, listed at 5.9 miles on map. Opportunity for water and restrooms at beach area in season. Trail follow a the road for a short time on the south side of the lake and you can hear the beach at a point or two on the trail. We met a pair of mountain bikers, but otherwise nobody else on the trail. There has been a fair amount of rain lately, so several wet and muddy spots where you will get your feet wet, but also a couple of places to filter water, if needed. I expect a couple of the streams have water except when it's really dry out. we parked at the beach and enjoyed a swim and picnic after the hike.

Thu May 05 2016

Hiked a day after rain so it was sloppy but totally worth it!

Mon Jul 06 2015

Hiked the lake on July 5, 2015 and it was messy muddy which made it that much more fun. A lot of obstacles to overcome with trees down across the trail which made it more challenging. It was awesome!

Sun Aug 11 2013

This was a nice trail just like all the other reviews suggest.The only thing that I didn't like was there was a lot of noise from beach area I like solitude and didn't get it here.

Sun Jul 21 2013

Excellent trail! Allow up to 2 hrs to hike this trail at a leisure pace. I love the view of the lake from the dam. We will definitely hike one again. Don't forget get to spray for ticks. I would rate this moderate on a difficulty scale.

Fri Aug 03 2012

Excellent camping near by, and a small lake with beach and swimming.

Wed Sep 22 2010

I enjoyed this hike, nice views of the lake and a few stream crossings.