Three Lakes Trail

Three Lakes Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Martinsville, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A 10.00 mile circular trail that connects three property lakes.

Bummed. Hiked from cherry lake; followed the markers, then along the creek bed, as there was nowhere else to follow, then dead ended into private property. Followed that to a road, obviously not the trail & had to turn back. Checked with my hiking buddy to see if we missed another branch of the trail. Had not missed any other routes, marked or otherwise. Disappointing to say the least, wish these trails were marked appropriately and/or maps were available at trailhead.

I took my dog down on Wednesday of last week. We parked at Cherry Lake and went clockwise. The trail is poorly marked in a couple spots. At the end, we ended up at the park headquarters but were able to get back to our car. Total mileage was 10.85. I loved Bryant Creek Lake. We stopped and had a snack there & enjoyed the view. We only came across 4 people all day. Would definitely recommend.

A beautiful and scenic route that offers alot of challenges if you are trail running. It will be a part of my regular routine training for knob stone trail.

As other reviewers have pointed out, there are only two lakes. Generally well marked, we got lost at a couple spots and ended up on service roads, but were able to get back on track pretty quickly. Bryant lake is quite wonderful!

NIce hike, but the name is a lie. There are only two lakes.

I very much enjoyed my hike on this trail. Beautiful woods landscape with in and out routing across various creek beds. I found Bryant Creek Lake to be exceptionally pretty today. There were some confusing spots of where the trail was but overall the markings were well done. I will be visiting this trail again!

Plenty of birds and wild life to look at. Saw some wild turkeys. Good incline hike. Bring good shoes for there is water crossings.

I’d go again to do the whole trail. Last fall it was probably 2/3 blocked off by logging.

It was a bit tricky getting to this trail due to all the closed roads on SR37. About a dozen other friendly hikers were able to find the trail today too. The dog and I started at Bryant Creek Lake and hiked counterclockwise. Despite the fact that the leaves were not out yet, it is still a beautiful trail that is well maintained. There were a few climbs here and there but it seemed like most of the hiking was flat either up on a ridge or in a valley along a steam. There was a reroute near Cherry Lake due to logging or "forest management". The signs were clear where not to go but I couldn't find the reroute trail. I think it would be better if they let the beavers manage the forest again.

#fave

This is my favorite trail. I am not in super great shape, so there are 5 hills that make me huff and puff. I start at the Cherry Lake Shelter and hike back that way.

There may be some re-routes due to logging. For those that may not be familiar with State Forests in Indiana, the logging pays for the upkeep of the park.

I am also a diabetic, so there are two things that are pluses for me. One, you can typically get a cell signal, and two, you are never too far from a paved forest road. Yet, you can at least get the feeling of being in a wilderness.

i have hiked this one and Low Gap Trail after dark. There is a sizable coyote population in the area. They can be quite spooky to hear howling, especially when they are getting close to you! I have my best times after dark, there!!!

Hiked this trail with a friend on December 16, 2017. We started at Cherry Lake and took the loop clockwise. There was a bit of confusion as we got to the road, just past the Stepp cemetery. The original trail (the one still shown on the map) crosses the road to the west of the cemetery lane. However, it has been rerouted to follow the forest road to the east for a hundred yards or so. (The blazes say follow the road, so get off of your phone and follow it!) The reroute is well marked, as is the rest of the trail. There is another reroute, closer to the end of the clockwise loop, that avoids a timber harvest area. It stays down in the creek bottom instead of climbing back up into the hills. There was no active timber harvesting at the time of our visit. Hope this is helpful. Happy trails!

Fun trail! Like others have said, there are some spots that aren't well marked and a little confusing (esp. around Bryant Creek Lake) but not too bad. Lots of blazes throughout the rest of it though (white diamonds) which was really reassuring on my first solo hike. The cemetery is definitely worth checking out, too! The whole loop took me about 4.5 hours.

I went counterclockwise and there were many parts of the trail in the first 2 or 3 miles that were not very well marked. I couldn't have been happier that I brought my trekking poles- almost the entire 10 miles had spider webs right at face level every several feet, so I walked large portions of the trail essentially swinging my trekking poles out in front of me to avoid getting spiders in my eyes. There wasn't really anything challenging about the terrain and all the creeks were dried up, but it was still a nice and scenic hike. I stopped at one of the lakes for lunch and it was very peaceful and pretty! Also, there wasn't much foot traffic on this trail which was great.

this was a difficult hike. nearly the entire 10 miles i dealt with spider webs. most of the "lakes" and streams were dried up. only came across 3 people passing by but not hikers. i enjoyed the different levels of elevation and it really felt like a forest. no noise. there were times the trails was not identified very well. make sure you take a map and compass.

Did not have a great experience on the trail. May try it again some other time.

Nice hike, well-marked and despite some minor blowdowns, well-maintained. The distance is balanced by gentle ups/downs and makes it doable in a decent amount of time. We started at Cherry Lake which made the picnic tables at the other lake a nice lunch spot.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Hiked three lakes trail 6/10/17. I have seen numerous accounts of actual mileage due to a detour that seems to add just a bit of length to the trail. Trail head shows 10.4 miles. Hiked trail in exactly three hours with no stops. Multiple creek bed crossings that were all dry when I went.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

It was a lot of fun some good little hills.

Monday, May 29, 2017

OK hike. Was nice because there was hardly anyone on at the trial at all (even though its memorial weekend and great weather). It's actually 10.4 miles as there's a mandatory detour that takes you up the road (by the entrance to the cemetery) for a short wile and you cross over to take the trail on the right (this is not very well marked). The lake you walk around is not that picturesque and the road nearby is a little noisy. Almost all streams are dried up so I think this takes away some of the natural beauty. It is though a great length, somewhat moderate hike to get your blood flowing. I preferred Low Gap but this was still worth it to try once.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

This is really good trail if you like trails with rivers. You need go across the rivers 4 or 5 times if you complete the entire circular trail. We took 4 hours to finish including resting time.
Be careful, we did see a snake on the side of the road. We went around it. But still highly recommended!

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Length requires some endurance. Avoid directly after wet weather, as there's a potentially boot-eating interval along rutted forest road. The trail markings were scarce sometimes and I had difficulty navigating that section. The other seventy percent is gorgeous though. Fun trail with circuitous ups and downs.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Rugged with many elevation changes. The trail is always changing. Some of the diversions are confusing around the logging, Follow the white diamond markings on trees.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Trail was very nice. 10.52 is what my Fitbit said and 1,340 ft gained. Would recommend this over the low gap. Pretty scenic especially by the lake. Only downfall is that the loggers have destroyed some of the trail but eventually it will clean up. May be poorly marked at times but I like more challenging trails.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Long hike with a couple of strenuous parts much like all the trails at Morgan Monroe State Forest. Well marked with a couple of scenic views.

Saturday, March 04, 2017

This is an amazing trail! We hiked it on 2/12/17 on an unseasonably warm day, it was absolutely gorgeous!
A couple warnings. Due to a detour it was 10.9 miles not the 10.1 shown at the trail head. And the only reason this didn't get a 5 star rating is due to a section of maybe a half mile or so aptly named "Mud City"... it was brutal! It had rained the day before we went out and the mud made that half mile feel more like 3 miles... I wore my trail runners instead of my hiking boots and it still felt like I had 10 lbs weights on each ankle... and I almost lost a shoe about a half dozen times. Absolutely brutal!!!
Despite Mud City, this may be my favorite trail in Indiana. The lake in the middle of the loop, Bryant Creek Lake, is stunning. I wish they allowed camping on this trail, it would be a nice place to spend a weekend.
I love this trail and would highly recommend it. More so if it is dry due to Mud City, but even as is, I cannot wait to get back out there.
Happy hiking!

Friday, February 10, 2017

The trail was awesome! We loved it! There was some issues with fallen trees and the rangers needing to remove fallen trees, resulted in a mile detour (that we did not take) or what was referred to as Mud City. Lucky for us, the ground was frozen and through that part there was no mud.

The ups and downs were a killer but was well worth it, even during the winter time the scenery is beautiful. It was definitely a harder hike and took us a good 3 plus hours to make it through the whole thing.

We took our three dogs as well, and they loved every minute of it. They were worn out for a good day afterward! We can't wait to come back and try the other longer trails in the area.

Monday, February 06, 2017

Have to agree with others that the reroute looks and is terrible to walk on. Also got confused on another reroute earlier (we went clockwise) in the trail. The end also had quite a bit of reforestation sections that just looked awful, but the lakes and remainder of the trail are quite nice

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

My first long hike. Loved the lakes. Lost my Fitbit. Couldn't wait to hit the Low Gap trail after finishing.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Currently 11.4 miles instead of 9.4 due to a detour.