Three Dunes Challenge Loop

Three Dunes Challenge Loop is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Porter, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Short but challenging.

Liked it and hated it. It's been decades since i've even been on this much sand, but i can handle hills & stairs, so i wanted to try the 3 Dune Challenge.
These Dunes kicked my butt!! I'm an older heavy set guy that had a heck of a time trying to climb the dunes. Every step up the dune resulted in a foot sliding back a half step or more. Took me 3 times as long to climb a dune than i expected. And Going down the 2nd dune, Mt. Holden, i slid 2-3 feet for every step down.
This was one loaded challenge. It was not as easy as others said. I'm sure that's due to my size working against me trying to climb. Thankfully after the 2nd Dune there is a shortcut trail back to the start by the Nature Center. The Dune Challenge is on Trail 8, Trail 7 splits thru the middle, simple trail.

Great Park. This trail visits the shore line but also climbs the dunes

Great trail but there a lots more to explore

Nice scenic easy walk.

This is trail 8, and the label it the three dune challenge. It captures three of the tallest dunes in the park. We walked the longer loop trail ou to the beach, and then came up for the beach to walk this loop. There are other trails that can be tacked on. We will be back!

Spent many summers all around the dunes; there are many trails and many ways to use them. Trail 8 is the most memorable as the last time I was there with friends, we were ill-prepared and it made for a strenuous hike out to the beach and then an unusual push back to the car in the smaller lot. Incredible workout. Great for training and building endurance.

Monday, October 10, 2016

I did the more difficult loop and it was a good workout. sand dunes are physically harder than regular hills so be prepared for that. Nice views in a couple spots and really nice trails. Definitely worth checking out.