Tecumseh Trail

Tecumseh Trail is a 41.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Fleener, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

The Tecumseh trail is the primary through hiking trail for central and south-central Indiana hikers. There is also the Knobstobe, but it is located much farther south and less accessible for hikers that reside in the Indianapolis area. I have through hiked the Tecumseh trail several times and during all seasons. I have also hiked it north bound and south bound. Despite logging along several areas, the trail is still very worth while. Every time I spend time on the Tecumseh trail I come out as a better version of myself.

Started near the Tecumseh Trail head near Low Gap. The park is finishing the trailhead parking and park office across the street. So you have to park a 1/4 mile up the road at the Fire Tower. No biggie. the tail itself is well marked. However there was a reroute around Big Bear and reconnects just north of Fox Den Shelter. This is a little difficult to navigate but doable. My dog Sasha and I made it to Fox Shelter by 5:30pm the first night and Yellowwood lake to camp by 6:30pm the second night. It rained HARD on day one making switchbacks slippery. Then it temperatures dropped from 50°s to late 30°s at night. The logging really became a little annoying. But I do understand the need to revitalize the forest. Carry your water in. Most water supplies we're dried up. Look at a 4day/3night trip. All in all it's a great hike.

Backpacked the full route this past weekend with friends. Loved the trail and terrain. Hats off to the volunteers who've created, maintained, blazed, etc. these trails. Fantastic job. Couple of quick tidbits to pass along, buy the official trail map - I can't imagine how much more difficult it would have been without it. Download the HHC trail guide and take it with you. It has key info regarding places where it would be easy to get lost, and upcoming water. Note that the Pine Rd. exit off 37 no longer exists so you'll have to access the SF HQ from the south (Bloomington) or the north (Martinsville). Stop for a cold drink at the Hickory Shades motel in Belmont, the only vending machine we found on the route.
90 degree days with no breeze to speak of...quite a challenge. I'd like to do it again in the full color of fall.

backpacked this weekend from Indian hills to low gap backcountry area. I planned to retrace my route tomorrow back to my car but the total disruption to the trail experience by the multiple timber harvests made me change my mind. instead getting a ride in the morning back to my car.
The actual trail is good and well marked but the reroutes leave you bushwacking or road walking for miles on end.
Lutheran Hills and the Foxes Den Shelter area are supposed to be closed based on signage but it wasnt on trail site so I went anyways and regretted it. It seems the lumber company used the trail and blocked it more than any other area.
Kudos to the volunteers who have cleared the trails and blazed them - great work!! I really wanted to love this trail but I was left wanting a less unstable trail. I am really disappointed in how Yellowwood Forest has been pillaged.

Hikers need to be aware that there have been some changes to the trail. Check the Hoosier Hikers Council website for a more recent map.

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Great trail!

Saturday, July 08, 2017

awesome trail was only able to make it a couple miles past fox hole den, I brought my dog with me and it was way to much for him, I will have to go back and complete it solo. look forward to going back!

Friday, June 02, 2017

Friday, April 14, 2017

A quality Indiana back packing trail.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Awesome trail up and down ridges total wilderness

Wednesday, October 25, 2017