Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Tall Timbers Nature Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bainbridge, Indiana that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 127 feet Route Type: Loop

We were pleasantly surprised by this trail. Great views. Forded the creek a few times. Good places to hunt for rocks. Gorgeous wildflowers. Hidden gem!!

really enjoy the trail. Perfect for taking adventurous kids along. Creek beds to ford and plenty of things to explore along the way. great views

Nice moderate trail close to home for a quick morning hike, especially with the dog.

Sun Aug 12 2018

Quiet wooded trail following Big Walnut with several overlooks.

Wed Jul 18 2018

Nice maintained trail.

Wed Jun 20 2018

Dramatic ravines, several types of forests with towering hardwoods. Prepare to cross a small stream several times.

Sat Jul 11 2009

I recently purchased some new gear and wanted to test it out, so my brother and I chose to complete the AHT over the weekend. After reviewing the guide and topo map we decided that we could do this in two days or less. Roughly calculated we began with 30-35lbs of pack weight each. We started off at 8:40am Sat. at Pioneer Cabin and headed clockwise on the loop, camping somewhere around mile 15. We reached our vehicle around 1:30pm Sunday. The trail was well blazed with only a few spots of downed trees or poor conditions where it met with horse trails. There were also a few areas where ground cover swallowed up the trail – but blazes always seemed to be in sight. It seems that the AHT got some love since past reviews, but isn’t heavily traveled, don’t count on a well worn and easy to follow path. With the exception of the hike up to the Ohio River Lookout most of the elevation changes were mild-to-moderate. The 2.9 mile section of trail between Cold Friday Rd. and Pioneer Cabin is by far the most challenging, but still not intimidating. The woods were beautiful with a few wildlife sightings despite our pace and canine companion. The overlooks were not that impressive due to the amount of trees blocking views from shelter sites. We saw no other hikers on the trail during our trip. That said we completed the entire loop in 1.5 days with around 13.5 hours of actual hiking. We’re both in decent shape but still think that the suggested three day trip either is because of too much gear or aimed at those who prefer to take longer, more frequent periods of downtime. Water filtering was not an option with nothing but dry stream beds, so pack it or cache it. This trail is not for day hikers but easily completed by those with some basic backpacking experience. I’m confident that experienced hikers and trail runners could complete in a single day with ultra light packs and water caching.

Mon Jul 24 2006

This was one of the poorest marked trails I have ever hiked. This trail intersects horse trails and day use trails at many points and often merge with them for substantial lenghts. What I found ironic is that in areas where there are no "other" trails, the AHT is well marked; one could even say excessively. But in other areas these blazes are non-existant. I lost about 45 minutes the first day alone just backtracking to pick up the lost trail. It also seemed to me that this trail had not had any maintenance within the past couple of years. There were MANY fallen trees over the trail; one or two should be expected; but not dozens. If you hike this trail, heed the warnings others have said about lack of water. This is a very dry trail. I doubt that I hike this trail again, but if I do it won't be during the heat of summer.

Sat Aug 05 2017