Sycamore Loop Trail

Sycamore Loop Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bloomington, Indiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 482 feet Route Type: Loop

New Year's Day 2020. 45 degrees. This was a very nice hike -- my first time on this trail. The large stand of pines surrounding Campsite #4 was very picturesque, along with the creek meandering through the bottom lands. My guess is that #4 is the most sought after of the five marked campsites on this loop. The creek was flowing well enough that you had to choose your crossings carefully if you wanted to keep your feet out of it.

One of my favorite short and overnight trails. Good elevation changes, nice trek along the creek, pretty good campsites. Camped at #4, the stream was running pretty well considering the previous days' rainfall. Really didn't need any of the water I brought along. Unfortunately, the wood I scavenged and cut was too wet to burn. At least I kept warm cutting it.

Great trail!! Found some cool geodes in the creek bed. Was also the perfect length for a morning hike. Not many views but the serene, quiet forest made up for it!

Good trail, not too difficult but a few good inclines. Camped at site 5, saw some grey squirrels, birds, frogs but no other wildlife. Camp sites are well spaced and saw very few people during our time there. Very dry currently but we could see where it would be muddy in rainy periods. We will be back.

Great loop. Very dry now but you can tell it gets pretty boggy at points in the spring, especially when you’re zigzagging across the creek bed. Would love to do it again when the leaves are turning this fall!

Creek is bone dry. Pack in all water. I read peninsula trail was closed so I chose sycamore. I hiked the trail clockwise beginning at northernmost entrance and lost the trail due to down trees and overgrowth about 1/2 mile west of campsite 4. (Not sure how sites get their number designation because the one I stayed at clearly was marked #4, but by the map it didn’t look like it would be number 4. More like #2 or 3.) I Had to backtrack to campsite 4 and stay the night so I could hike back out the way I came in the next morning. After I set up camp, I saw a couple people hiking the trail in the opposite direction (counterclockwise beginning from southernmost entrance). They also said the trail dropped off but was able to pick it up again, although not easily. I would rate as a 2 this trip, but gave a 4 because I camped here last year and it was great.

Was a great trail, entirely woodland views if your looking for a great view probably won’t get it here though. If you just like nature and wild life it’s worth it. Not many obstacles to work around on the actual trail. Markings could be better, you won’t lose the trail but if your not careful you could end up on a different trail at one or two intersections.

trail is now open

The trail is presently closed : June 17, 2019 to Sept. 17, 2019 unless otherwise noted and posted by the Hoosier National Forest Supervisor. It looks like a marvelous trail, but we arrived to discover the closure order posted as attached. The following areas are ordered closed until termination of this emergency closure order or 120 days from the signature date, whichever comes first: 1. All trails within the Brownstown Ranger District in Lawrence, Monroe, Jackson, Brown Counties, Indiana 2. The Shirley Creek Trail system on the Brownstown Ranger District in Orange County, Indiana You may read/find out more at the link below: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd638952.pdf

Nice trail for my first backpacking trip. Nice designated spots to camp. Plenty of creek crossings to fill up water bottles with a filter. It was nice and secluded. We went over Memorial Day weekend and only saw 2 other people! I would definitely do this trail again, but treat it like an out and back trail to cut out the gravel road portion that goes back to the cemetery. That was the worst part.

Very nice trail. Challenging but not overly difficult.

a really good trail in Indiana. bring water and snacks. nice rolling hills

Did this one a few months ago with some friends and had a great time. Great views and pretty easy! Don’t forget to climb the fire tire at the end. You won’t regret it!

13.1 in one day... wow... with mud.

The mud is this in a few places, and ticks abound in undergrowth along the creek.

Had a fantastic weekend this weekend.

Great intro backpacking trek. Lots of different vegetation, easy access to water, and good camp sites.

This is a fairly easy trail. I took my dog and he played in the creek quite a bit and when we weren’t next to the water I was able to get lost in thought. I recommend this trail for anyone looking enjoy the outdoors for 2-3 hours and just decompressing.

Timing is everything. We are concerned since it rained the day before it would be too funny. It wasn’t bad at all. We thought it was hard and have a good timing is everything. We are concerned since it rained the day before it would be too. It wasn’t bad at all. We thought it was more easy to moderate. Since I didn’t feel stressed enough, I climbed the fire tower at the end.

Sat Oct 20 2018

thoroughly enjoyed this hike and want to try it on a wintery day. I chose to go clockwise on the loop with the goal of visiting the Terrill cemetery...it is Halloween season so had to investigate. Very creepy place and didn't stick around long. I doubled back and hiked the rest of the loop. The sections of the trail that are covered in pine needles were a treat to walk on! I hadn't hiked since late winter so the length was perfect and I wasn't too tired after 9 miles.

Tue Oct 16 2018

1st ever backpacking trip was here

Thu Aug 16 2018

Great trail, easy to navigate. Lots of spider webs, but hey, we are in the woods.

Sun Aug 12 2018

We did a two day overnight on this trail. Camp sites are nice. Will do again in future.