Sycamore Loop Trail

Sycamore Loop Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Heltonville, Indiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail, easy to navigate. Lots of spider webs, but hey, we are in the woods.

We did a two day overnight on this trail. Camp sites are nice. Will do again in future.

Hiked this trail yesterday, May 26, in late afternoon on a hot and humid day. On the entry trail, I saw a few hikers and campers, but shortly after taking the right to start the loop, the trail was empty. The initial descent went fast. I did not have any problems with spider webs, although there were some annoying flys that liked dive bombing my head for part of the way. At the bottom of the first descent, I passed a group of husband, wife, kid and the wife was not looking happy and wanted to turn around, presumably because of the kamikaze flys in that area. I pressed on and was soon past the threat.

On one of the ridges up higher, I encountered an area with some open space and very tall trees. Here I spooked a very large bird. On my drive in down the gravel road, I saw an owl, so my first thought was that this too was a large owl, but another flash of it seemed to show a big bushy tail that made me think wild turkey. And then shortly later, i found a hawk feather, so it is still a mystery if i saw a hawk, turkey, or owl, either way it was a huge bird, very impressive.

Later I approached a small stagnant stream where suddenly dozens of frogs, spooked by my approach, began leaping en masse into the water. Then towards the end of the hike, I noticed a 3 foot garter snake slithering away and managed to snap a pic.

Deep towards the final leg of the loop, the trail splits at a really wide portion of trail. I decided to extend my hike a few more miles and take this path less traveled. The trail dead-ended at a random cemetery in the middle of the wilderness. I tried following what looked like a path to regain the trail, but it led me deep into untracked wilderness. I used my phone GPS and the AllTrails app to try to follow where the trail should be, but I ended up just getting cut up by thorn bushes and covered in ticks! Just as I was going to give up and bushwhack back, I noticed the semblance of an old trail, untraveled for several years. It was still hard going, but at least I was able to pick up my pace. I should have looked closer at the map because it did say the trail was (old). I was relieved when I finally made it to the Axiom branch where I promptly removed 3 ticks from my calves and spider webs from my hair. By this point, I just wanted a hot shower and a McDouble, so I double timed it out of there and didn’t look back.

Overall great hike if you ignore my adventurous stupidity made possibly by my overconfidence in gps :)

Went to do the loop for the first this morning- arrived at 8:30 and the spider webs were TERRIBLE. I am a regular hiker and am not phased by bugs, webs, etc., but there were SO many at the beginning of the loop- the first mile and a half- that you couldn't walk 10 yards without running straight into another one. They were large webs and large spiders, so it really made it tough to just relax, zone out, or enhoy the scenery because I was so on edge looking out for the next web. I finally turned around and came back because I was so anxious from it. I don't know enough about the type of spiders they were, or if they cut their webs down (so maybe going later in the day would be better?) but it was really unpleasant. I will have to try again in early Fall!

Monday, May 15, 2017

Great trail

Saturday, May 13, 2017

We enjoyed the view. The road is narrower than usual state park trail. Be prepared to get muddy on your shoes if you go during a rainy week.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

We entered the loop at the north entrance after hiking up to the cemetery. This is a lovely trail with varied terrain including a beautiful pine forest, which we would rate easy to light moderate. We encountered quite a few other hikers and there were several cars in all the lots so pretty heavy use of the trails here.

Thursday, November 03, 2016

great

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Love this trail!

Thursday, March 31, 2016

This was a nice easy trail, the weather was great and things were really starting to green over. It was a little busy even in March. But if you want a great day hike or to take advantage of some really cool off trail camping spots then this is definitely a must see.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Hike was nice and eazy... We went in October and almost no parking was to be found, had to park down the road a ways... Was a bit crowded... but I tend to like the back country... but very nice...

Saturday, November 14, 2015

We get off trail and hammock camp with the kids. It's a great overnight.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Not a bad trail for some miles ,scenery not fantastic,terrain flat or rolling, a few nice camp spots

Sunday, October 18, 2015

One of my go to hikes in the area. Very pretty lots of pine growths along the way and places to camp. Water can depend on the season/ time of year if you are camping out to be aware of that. Solid loop trail always a suggestion for those looking for a solid hike in the area. Park at the fire tower walk through the back of the parking lot where there is a barrier to stop cars from going up the road and the trail eventually starts on the right hand side.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Great trail for a couple kids (11ish) and well maintained. Did the whole sycamore loop (and some of Axsom, Terrill Ridge and Grubb Ridge) and all very worthwhile. Sycamore was the nicest hike.

Great campsites and the trails are more like a state park trail given how maintained (and worn). Easy hike for sure, less backcountry feel. Been hot lately, so no real water in the creek beds (luckily we packed enough). Would hike again and likely go further north (off trail) to get a bure more remote.

Fire tower is always a plus and given the blue skies.....great view. Will come back in the fall for even better views.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Well maintained and little used trail in the Charles Deam Wilderness located in the Hoosier National Forest. The trail was peaceful and you are not only able to see wildlife and flowers but hike along a creek and past a small pond. There are also multiple camp sites located on this trail that are in excellent locations.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Maintained well with some nice camping spots along the way. Nice sections going through the pine forest and along the creek. Parking right by the fire tower where you can go up for an amazing view.

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

My first hike in the Charles deam wilderness. Loved the solitude. Nice single track for the first 4.9 miles. Not a fan of the Terrill ridge road (maybe 2.5 miles) the took me out to the graveyard and back to the car. The drive from the west side of Indy to the trail head was maybe 90 minutes. My Guide book said the trail head was 5.5 miles on Tower ridge road. However, It was a little further.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

It is a very nice trail. Has a nice stream that you walk along for a while. Very nice camping spots around groves of pine trees. I didn't see anyone all day. I did see several deer.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Well maintained. It was the first beautiful day outside this year and a lot of people were hiking. Campsites are well-marked. Not too difficult of a hike and it took me approximately three hours to complete.

Sunday, September 22, 2013

A very nice trail and well maintained, that sets in some really beautiful forested area. There are a lot of deer around, so there is plenty of wildlife to see too. If you are into overnight camping, there are many nice areas to set up camp along the trail. A great trail that is well worth your time hiking!

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Absolutely a beautiful trail. Well maintained and great surroundings. Enjoyed the pine area a lot. Took a little over 2 hrs to hike.

Monday, August 26, 2013

Easy hike but beautiful none-the-less. Pine track was amazing. Kids thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A relatively short loop which provides a nice morning walk in the woods. Shade, solitude, and a cool fire tower you can climb at the trailhead/parking lot for a great view.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sycamore loop is a very nice trail that takes me about two hours to hike. There are campsites mainly along the southern portion with a campsite near a pond along the northeast portion. Not a lot of up and down hiking with a moderate trail. Very enjoyable to hike!!!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

This was a decent trail, out in the Deam Wilderness south of Bloomington, IN near Lake Monroe. The trail has some nice campsites and pretty pine stands half way through, and some of the trail is on a service road.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

A nice loop with quite good sites to camp.