Learn more

Sodalis Nature Park Trails

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(147)
Indianapolis, Indiana

Sodalis Nature Park Trails is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Indianapolis, Indiana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 75 feet Route Type: Loop

Sodalis Nature Park in Plainfield, Indiana is a partnership between Hendricks County Parks and US Fish & Wildlife. All trails are unpaved, some are crushed gravel. Always be prepared for mud at this location.

We stopped our hike prematurely since we didn’t have bug protection.

Great! Nice easy trails very shaded. Notes: Bring Bug Spray. Also, I ran into a lone coyote on the beaver trail around 1700 so just a heads up.

Great trails, lousy signage. Definitely download the map from this site because there are no maps to be found at the park - not even one I could take a picture of in the parking lot. My intended 2.5 mile hike became a 5 mile hike because I kept coming to unmarked intersections or finding signs for new trails. There is an extremely muddy section towards the back park where they have run the trail through a marsh.

Nice for as close as it is to the city! We went here looking for a short hike for our young pup who isn’t ready to tackle longer or more hilly hikes. Nice woods, some mud as others noted. Lots of official and unofficial trail options to take. Horses and bikes can be present so watch for those if on foot. Saw some folks fishing and wading in the river. This section of river looked pretty nice for that.

Trail quality varies greatly. I would recommend the “Bat Haven” trail. It was relatively dry, has a good tree canopy and follows along a beautiful little creek. I would not recommend the “White Tail” trail, it was extremely muddy to the extent it was almost impassable in a number of areas without waterproof boots (it had been ~48 hours since the last rain). The area the trail passes through appears to be a former pasture that is in the early stages of forest development, so it is relatively scrubby with little shade. All of the sections of the “Oak Trace” trail we walked were very flat, and much of it had gravel, so it would be a good option for individuals with limited mobility or small children. If we had skipped the White Tail quagmire, I likely would have rated the overall experience 4 stars rather than 3.

First time at the park. Front part and near the creek was dry but the back was pretty muddy. No issues though. Found a geocache too. Fun time.

This is a nice little county trail. White tail trail is very muddy but other trails seem to be fairly dry. Most of the trails toward the front of the park have gravel. There were a couple areas of blow down and one tree was particularly large. These trails were dog friendly other than the large tree that I had to pick my Australian Cattle dog up for.

recorded Sodalis Nature Park Trails

Sodalis had a great collection of trails for short and easy walks. it is on a flood plain, so if there has been any rain, expect some mud, especially on Conservation way.

Great trail. Really narrow at pints. Sharp drop offs near river bank. Beautiful views!

Nice little trail right here in Plainfield! No elevation really but a great trail if you want to get something quick in. A little muddy at parts (but the recent snow just melted) and gravel trail at other parts. So close to home so will be back - can’t wait to hike when it’s green!

Nice little hike to just get out. A lot of oaks, so still some leaves to enjoy color..

I love this beautiful peaceful park. I did the entire loop and many of the inner trails. Sat by the lake for a while. It was not crowded for a beautiful September Saturday.

great little park. you will get gravel trails, dirt trails, and grass trails. great place to walk your dog and just to get away for just a bit. that said I wish the trails were longer but that's fine. I checked out the camp grounds and it is a beautiful area. another con is there are a lot of forks that go off to the side but are blocked....i will find out where they go.

The hardest part of this trail is smiling and waving at everyone you pass.

Saw.azsaswswzza. .fm

Gives a bit of natural to camby

If you live in the area, it's very convenient and parts of it are really nice. I went with 2 stars purely as a "hiking" rating. Doing the full loop, I would suggest you go clockwise. The Oak Trace section is really a walk in the country along a well mowed grass road - you are definitely in the sunshine so be aware of that. The second half (Bat Haven) was a pretty nice walk in the woods. It wasn't challenging but it was definitely more what I was looking for. I was there on a Friday afternoon in July. The park was crowded near the lake and we certainly were sharing the trail with others but it wasn't crowded and you definitely get a little bit of nature.

Fri Apr 19 2019

Wonderful trails, some areas were wet due to rain but still very beautiful and calming!

Mon Apr 15 2019

Thu Apr 11 2019

Great after work hike or trail run. Some trails are a little muddy. Not too many dogs or people which is great for me with a shy dog.

Fri Mar 22 2019

This isn't a bad park to hike in if you live in the area and want an easy walk with the kids or the the dogs. Probably not worth driving far to visit. Some paths are gravel; others are grass and dirt. Some parts were pretty muddy when I went.

Wed Jan 02 2019

Very nice park! Well kept and trails are marked well. I only took off one star because it is pretty busy.

Thu Nov 22 2018

This is a nice little park. Very easy gravel trails with interpretive signs about the animals, trees, and pond along the trails. You won't get complete quiet due to the park being in the flight path of the airport, but it is a nice place to have a pinic or take small children on an easy hike. I didn't try fishing here.

Tue Nov 06 2018

Pretty Park, many trails. Seems a popular place to hike with your dog. Trails are easy. A little over a couple miles to hike. Large parking lot accommodating many vehicles.