Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Shades State Park Trail

Shades State Park Trail is a 1.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Marshall, Indiana that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Shades State Park is just off Indiana 234. There are plenty of signs to help you find the park entrance.

Scenery was spectacular we hiked trail 7 was rated as “rugged”. Accurate rating after half way point. Followed stream bed lots of slippery rocks. Lot folks shared their falls and the bumps and bruises. Hiking staff a must. Provided a balancing point or in my case made walking in the water a bit easier. Camp ground was primitive lots of trees. Lots of owls at night. My wife saw the only raccoon but no issues or return visits. Toilets were the only draw back some backups but were cleaned daily. Once the crowd moved on we pretty much had our run of the park. Great time with my wife her sister and my brother in law.

I grew up about 10 miles away and I have never been until today! It was awesome! Signs are a little confusing and almost nonexistent in some areas. At one point, we were going to turn around when we came to a dam thinking that were weren’t going to be able to make it over, but once you climb over there is even terrain!! Just keep going!☺️ There are some trails that are closed due to damage (Trail 7 and Cascade Falls) but we were able to go around the broken stairs and reach Sugar Creek. Trail 7 and 8 are very rugged but I would rather climb rocks than stairs! I can’t wait to go back when it’s not so muggy!!!!

The Shades has the best trails in the state. Prepare to walk in creekbeds and take extra shoes and socks.

Beautiful, large variety of difficulty.

The trails are challenging, as there are a lot of staircases and long sections of some of the trails are stream beds, but I LOVE this park! It’s a very fun hike! The campground isn’t huge, so even though it was full, I never felt crowded or as if I couldn’t enjoy the peace of the forests. The scenery is wonderful and well worth the soggy shoes

Trail 4 was the most challenging through the ravine with ladder climbing and stream walking. We enjoyed a sit in the river to cool off.

we hiked a combination of trails 7&8. Some of the trail required navigating creek beds with slippery surfaces. Trail 8 would not be recommended for inexperienced or poorly conditioned hikers.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Challenging, fun, beautiful. Rugged section is well worth the effort. Not too difficult, but highly suggest trekking poles.

Monday, October 09, 2017

Hiking/Backpacking - Did a bit of hiking on Friday, then backpacked for the night. We noted that the park maps are not correct with the trails. Trail 5 is reverse of the map. Trail 8 does not intersect the backpacking trail twice. We were going to cut off the backpacking trail to 8/7 to get back to the parking lot, but the connection indicated in the map doesn't exist. Backpacking note... It's kind of like backpack glamping. The backpack campground has large sites with picnic tables and fire rings. There is a shed with firewood for sale, nice pit toilets, trash bins, and running water.

Monday, August 21, 2017

I enjoyed my time on this hike but had expectations for it to be a little more difficult. It is considered the most rugged hike that the park has. I only saw one family of two adults and two teenagers on my journey. Has some very nice views and lots of stairs. I wouldn't might going back.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Great trail to hike! I was amazed by the views this trail had to offer especially for being in Indiana.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

there are 10 short trails to hike..it is possible to complete in a full day if you are physically fit

Monday, March 27, 2017

Had a lovely walk in the woods with enough adventure my teens enjoy it, even in the rain.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Great views, walked trails 1 & 2 yesterday and enjoyed each. Be sure to wear shoes or boots with good grip and expect to get your socks a little wet if they aren't waterproof! Overall enjoyed my Shades experience.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

In my top 5. We go at least once a month, love it.

Friday, January 06, 2017

Beautiful, mysterious, peaceful, and scenic!

Monday, November 07, 2016

Fun trails. The ravines are fun to hike!

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Great park!

Monday, August 08, 2016

awesome hike!

Thursday, July 28, 2016

We enjoyed the scenery on this trail. With our 8-year-old and toddler in tow, we had a great time finding our way through trails 7 and 8 while keeping our feet dry (the baby backpack was a must for the little one for sure).

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Lots of elevation change, most I've seen in Indiana outside of southern Indiana.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

I love this park! It's got some wonderful trails that include ladder climbing. it can get a bit rough and some of the elevation inclines might be too much for some. Still, the beauty of it overlooking the river valley is something to see!

Sunday, May 15, 2016

This is the place to go if you want to experience Turkey Run without the crowds. Just as beautiful, with a much larger dose of serenity.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Beautiful scenery with moderate inclines and declines. Expect to get shoes a little wet and muddy but not bad. Trail has minimal traffic on it and is well marked.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Lovely!

Friday, June 26, 2015

5 stars...perhaps conditionally. Our Sunday morning hike was perfect conditions after a Saturday day-long downpour. The ravine portions had plenty of water, and we enjoyed the find-a-path-to-keep-dry-shoes challenge. Trail was nicely broken up by Sugar Creek — the water was so high it was nearly to the trail! — and some nice ravine views. We went in late April, when green was starting to show. Lots of green as the ravine started spreading out nearing Sugar Creek. Felt like we hit the most lively spot you could see for hundreds of miles. Excellent hike for shaking off winter.

Sunday, June 07, 2015

Trail 8 runs from the ridge down to the river and back up Shawnee canyon. Shawnee canyon was scenic and lives up to the name of dark and cool.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Top two places in Indiana to Hike,looking forward to hiking it in Winter.Great camping by hike or canoe acess only!

Sunday, June 29, 2014

My 3rd favorite trail at Shades behind trail 2 and 5. You can take a few different routes through this one. One that leads you into Sugar Creek and wraps into 7. And one that ends up in the BacPack Trail. Ok Moderate Hike