Learn more

Shades State Park Trail is a 1.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Marshall, Indiana that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 1.4 mi Elevation gain 206 ft Route type Loop

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

Parking is located just off the trailhead. There are restrooms near the parking lot.

The phone number is (765) 435-2810

Shades State Park is just off Indiana 234. There are plenty of signs to help you find the park entrance.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (84)
Photos (70)
Recordings (62)
Completed (216)
Cepriano Banogon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
HikingFeeMuddyOff trailRocky

Awesome day to hit all the trails that we could. Ended up in Pine Hills nature preserve but only did the Slide loop before we turned back because it was getting late. This definitely tested my girlfriend and I.

View Cepriano's Recording
Eric Robinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 20, 2019
Hiking

Scenery was spectacular we hiked trail 7 was rated as “rugged”. Accurate rating after half way point. Followed stream bed lots of slippery rocks. Lot folks shared their falls and the bumps and bruises. Hiking staff a must. Provided a balancing point or in my case made walking in the water a bit easier. Camp ground was primitive lots of trees. Lots of owls at night. My wife saw the only raccoon but no issues or return visits. Toilets were the only draw back some backups but were cleaned daily. Once the crowd moved on we pretty much had our run of the park. Great time with my wife her sister and my brother in law. We did have a huge great horned owl who was up in the trees on our campsite got a few photos was very vocal most of the night

Judy Valenta
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 18, 2018

Brittany Taylor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 18, 2018
Hiking

I grew up about 10 miles away and I have never been until today! It was awesome! Signs are a little confusing and almost nonexistent in some areas. At one point, we were going to turn around when we came to a dam thinking that were weren’t going to be able to make it over, but once you climb over there is even terrain!! Just keep going!☺️ There are some trails that are closed due to damage (Trail 7 and Cascade Falls) but we were able to go around the broken stairs and reach Sugar Creek. Trail 7 and 8 are very rugged but I would rather climb rocks than stairs! I can’t wait to go back when it’s not so muggy!!!!

Britany Nicole
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2018

The Shades has the best trails in the state. Prepare to walk in creekbeds and take extra shoes and socks.

Reisha C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2018

Beautiful, large variety of difficulty.

Courtney A.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2018
Hiking

The trails are challenging, as there are a lot of staircases and long sections of some of the trails are stream beds, but I LOVE this park! It’s a very fun hike! The campground isn’t huge, so even though it was full, I never felt crowded or as if I couldn’t enjoy the peace of the forests. The scenery is wonderful and well worth the soggy shoes

Tara O.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2018
Hiking

Trail 4 was the most challenging through the ravine with ladder climbing and stream walking. We enjoyed a sit in the river to cool off.

Donald (Mike) Aber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 5, 2018
Hiking

we hiked a combination of trails 7&8. Some of the trail required navigating creek beds with slippery surfaces. Trail 8 would not be recommended for inexperienced or poorly conditioned hikers.

Kathryne Riha
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 20, 2018

Challenging, fun, beautiful. Rugged section is well worth the effort. Not too difficult, but highly suggest trekking poles.

Cody Wagner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 9, 2017
Hiking

Hiking/Backpacking - Did a bit of hiking on Friday, then backpacked for the night. We noted that the park maps are not correct with the trails. Trail 5 is reverse of the map. Trail 8 does not intersect the backpacking trail twice. We were going to cut off the backpacking trail to 8/7 to get back to the parking lot, but the connection indicated in the map doesn't exist. Backpacking note... It's kind of like backpack glamping. The backpack campground has large sites with picnic tables and fire rings. There is a shed with firewood for sale, nice pit toilets, trash bins, and running water.

Tayler Rogers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 21, 2017
Hiking

I enjoyed my time on this hike but had expectations for it to be a little more difficult. It is considered the most rugged hike that the park has. I only saw one family of two adults and two teenagers on my journey. Has some very nice views and lots of stairs. I wouldn't might going back.

Shannon Meinerding
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2017
Hiking

Great trail to hike! I was amazed by the views this trail had to offer especially for being in Indiana.

Mick Robinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 29, 2017

there are 10 short trails to hike..it is possible to complete in a full day if you are physically fit

Jessica Franks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 27, 2017

Had a lovely walk in the woods with enough adventure my teens enjoy it, even in the rain.

Mitch Kohley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 19, 2017
Hiking

Great views, walked trails 1 & 2 yesterday and enjoyed each. Be sure to wear shoes or boots with good grip and expect to get your socks a little wet if they aren't waterproof! Overall enjoyed my Shades experience.

michael wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 29, 2017
Backpacking

In my top 5. We go at least once a month, love it.

Michele Zerbe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 6, 2017
Hiking

Beautiful, mysterious, peaceful, and scenic!

Tim Mellinger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 7, 2016

Fun trails. The ravines are fun to hike!

Susan A.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 28, 2016

Great park!

Felicia Manning
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2016

awesome hike!

Carrie Peters
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2016
Hiking

We enjoyed the scenery on this trail. With our 8-year-old and toddler in tow, we had a great time finding our way through trails 7 and 8 while keeping our feet dry (the baby backpack was a must for the little one for sure).

Tyler Picard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2016

Lots of elevation change, most I've seen in Indiana outside of southern Indiana.

Dustie Dustie L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 18, 2016
Hiking

I love this park! It's got some wonderful trails that include ladder climbing. it can get a bit rough and some of the elevation inclines might be too much for some. Still, the beauty of it overlooking the river valley is something to see!

Barrett Crites
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 15, 2016
Hiking

This is the place to go if you want to experience Turkey Run without the crowds. Just as beautiful, with a much larger dose of serenity.

Maura Tucker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 4, 2016
Hiking

Beautiful scenery with moderate inclines and declines. Expect to get shoes a little wet and muddy but not bad. Trail has minimal traffic on it and is well marked.

Irlanda Troxel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 28, 2016

Lovely!