Scarce O'Fat Trail

Scarce O'Fat Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nashville, Indiana that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round.

Yesterday was brutal as I 2asnt mentally prepared for a 4 mile hike. We did it though in under 3.5 hours.

Nice hike, has a little bit of everything. Little creek sidewalk, some vertical accent and decent, had a little walk on a gravel road. Would recommend you bring a stick for cobwebs, and possibly long pants. Some areas were a little overgrown. A good break away from typical Brown county hikes, probably will end up doing it again down the road.

The trail itself is nice., Good inclines, white diamond blazes on the trees. The trail head sign was slightly covered today. My friend and I hiked it counter clockwise. To hike it clockwise walk down the gravel road a bit and pick up the trail with the sign that is marked “High King Hill”.

If hiking it counter clockwise you’ll come to a shared trail/road that has blazes all along the way and it eventually comes to a T. Go left and you’ll see trail markers on the left. It says it’s the Tecumseh trail but it carried the white diamond blazes and brought us to the bottom of High king hill. A few downed trees at one point which required climbing but nothing hard.

The road in is gravel and had signs that cautioned about flooding. So keep in mind how much rain we’ve had when you’re heading to the trail.

Lovely walk in the woods. Up a hill, along a ridge and fire road, down into a valley with streams, back up to the ridge, then down to the parking lot.

Well maintained but there is one sign that is marked incorrectly and I hiked 4 extra miles because of it.

This is one of my favorite condensed trails. I hike it counter-clockwise.

Basically, there is a challenging hill near the start, and a challenging hill at the end. The rest is just fun.

There is a back road with large white rock chunks. This white rock was laid down in about 2014. I can't wait for it to sink into the ground. Also, I have seen rattlers on that white rock stretch, so watch your steps.

The white rock section only lasts for about a mile, and then the trails veers down into the hollow on the left.

I think the is slightly longer than the posted length, a bit closer to 5.

One other thing to listen for in the warmer month is sudden thunder storms. There really is not much shelter on the trail, so check the radar often, too.

Not too bad in the snow. However, it would’ve been hard to follow the trail were it not for someone who had walked it a few days before. I would be careful if you’re planning on hiking right after a snowfall.

Moderate hike with forest views. Blazes are faded but reliable, fairly well marked for the attentive hiker. We only saw onle other group of hikers as we were finishing ( on a Wednesday afternoon.)

Monday, September 18, 2017

It's a nice 4+ mile loop - not very difficult. The second half is very pretty, you feel like you're in the heart of the forest. However, we were fighting off mosquitoes the entire time so be sure to bring your bug spray!

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Really fun trail! My wife and I have hiked it twice now and love the challenge, though I find it easier than it's described here.

Friday, July 28, 2017

We had a good hike this afternoon but for the life of me when we hit that gravel road I could not find where the trail continues so we doubled back. Novice when it comes to non-state park caliber marked trails I guess. If anyone can clarify how to navigate the fire Road/logging road that everyone's talking about in the comments that would be awesome.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

It is labeled as hard, and it is if you aren't used to the hills and even the size of the rocks on the fire road. We did it at night, 2 adults and 3 kids. we made it, but our imaginations really had us moving at times. About mile 3 we were just over it. Got back to the car, hot, sweaty, and ready for bed. Kids passed out within 5 minutes of leaving Bloomington. Probably a trail that is more fun in the daylight. Either way, it was nice.

*Word of advice, however, when reaching the end of the fire road, pay close attention to the trail markers and the trees. They get a bit dicey at that spot. *

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Good trail.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

This is not a hiking trail. This is a walking trail. Basically 4 miles of walking on a wide path in the woods and .7 miles of a narrower path and a little rock skip over a creek ( depending on where you park.). The only reason I can think this is listed as hard is due to the hill you have to walk up and the fact it's 4.7 miles.. If your looking for a nice long walk through the woods this is it, if your looking for a challenge look elsewhere.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Not hard! Moderate, but nice trail.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Trail is 4.8 miles v. The 4 posted at trailhead. My real issue is the 1 mile of fire road this trail is on. If doing the loop counterclockwise, first couple miles mostly along a ridge after initial steep ascent. Not a bad hike, other than fire road.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

This is a great leisurely hike with some easy short climbs and one short steep climb depending on how you start. It does have a section of road but it is not horrible. Lots of nice BC type scenery including by the creek bed. I hike this trail quite a bit and rarely come across other hikers and that is usually on holiday weekends and such.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Good workout. Enjoyed the hike through the forest sections, didn't care for the logging road section of the trail.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Beautiful area. I did this hike at sunrise and it was peaceful and serene. Not much for scenery but forest. good workout overall.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Nice trail. Some nice hills and sections, not a whole lot to see but nice over all. The logging / service road wasn't too bad as it hadn't rained in a while. Worthwhile doing.

Monday, May 30, 2016

awesome trail

Monday, May 23, 2016

The trail itself was fine, but unfortunately we were walking on the trail and our dogs were close by and one of our pups was bit by a rattlesnake (we think it was a copperhead snake, about 4 feet long) We took her to the vet immediately and she is still there being treated currently. I would suggest not to bring dogs on this walk for safely reasons.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Nicely maintained trail. Not much to see here. Hiking near the creek was about as exciting as it got.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Took High King to Scarce o Fat down through part of the lake loop. I enjoyed Yellow Wood, and want to go back for more exploring. It's a much less crowded Brown County adventure than the main park.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Great trail, but the logging road was so muddy that it really made the hike less pleasant. Also, next time we'd start from the High King Hill trail because I'd much rather climb up that steep hill than down it.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Great trail. Will be even better when they get the back section off the fire road. The walk through Caldwell Hollow is as good as any woods trail I have ever been on.

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Great trail.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

I really enjoyed this trail except for the stretch of gravel road. We went counter clockwise as recommended. I went by my Garmin gps and it said the hike was 6 miles. We stayed on the trail and had no problem finding it. Will do it again this fall. If not for the gravel road I would have given this a five star.

Monday, January 04, 2016

We started on the High King trail which was right away a steep ascent up, but has a cool view of the lake this time of year. We then hit the Scarce 'O Fat trail and did a total of about 6 miles. A lot of up and down, makes for a good work out. Very peaceful and secluded. Very well marked compared to many trails in the general area.

Monday, December 14, 2015

Nice trail counter clockwise is the "easier" approach, some downed trees along the way over the path. pretty slippery if wet going down the ending high king trace portion. Good workout for a loop.