Scarce O'Fat Trail

Scarce O'Fat Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nashville, Indiana that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round.

This is one of my favorite condensed trails. I hike it counter-clockwise.

Basically, there is a challenging hill near the start, and a challenging hill at the end. The rest is just fun.

There is a back road with large white rock chunks. This white rock was laid down in about 2014. I can't wait for it to sink into the ground. Also, I have seen rattlers on that white rock stretch, so watch your steps.

The white rock section only lasts for about a mile, and then the trails veers down into the hollow on the left.

I think the is slightly longer than the posted length, a bit closer to 5.

One other thing to listen for in the warmer month is sudden thunder storms. There really is not much shelter on the trail, so check the radar often, too.

Not too bad in the snow. However, it would’ve been hard to follow the trail were it not for someone who had walked it a few days before. I would be careful if you’re planning on hiking right after a snowfall.

Moderate hike with forest views. Blazes are faded but reliable, fairly well marked for the attentive hiker. We only saw onle other group of hikers as we were finishing ( on a Wednesday afternoon.)

It's a nice 4+ mile loop - not very difficult. The second half is very pretty, you feel like you're in the heart of the forest. However, we were fighting off mosquitoes the entire time so be sure to bring your bug spray!

Really fun trail! My wife and I have hiked it twice now and love the challenge, though I find it easier than it's described here.

We had a good hike this afternoon but for the life of me when we hit that gravel road I could not find where the trail continues so we doubled back. Novice when it comes to non-state park caliber marked trails I guess. If anyone can clarify how to navigate the fire Road/logging road that everyone's talking about in the comments that would be awesome.

It is labeled as hard, and it is if you aren't used to the hills and even the size of the rocks on the fire road. We did it at night, 2 adults and 3 kids. we made it, but our imaginations really had us moving at times. About mile 3 we were just over it. Got back to the car, hot, sweaty, and ready for bed. Kids passed out within 5 minutes of leaving Bloomington. Probably a trail that is more fun in the daylight. Either way, it was nice.

*Word of advice, however, when reaching the end of the fire road, pay close attention to the trail markers and the trees. They get a bit dicey at that spot. *

Good trail.

This is not a hiking trail. This is a walking trail. Basically 4 miles of walking on a wide path in the woods and .7 miles of a narrower path and a little rock skip over a creek ( depending on where you park.). The only reason I can think this is listed as hard is due to the hill you have to walk up and the fact it's 4.7 miles.. If your looking for a nice long walk through the woods this is it, if your looking for a challenge look elsewhere.

Not hard! Moderate, but nice trail.

Trail is 4.8 miles v. The 4 posted at trailhead. My real issue is the 1 mile of fire road this trail is on. If doing the loop counterclockwise, first couple miles mostly along a ridge after initial steep ascent. Not a bad hike, other than fire road.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

This is a great leisurely hike with some easy short climbs and one short steep climb depending on how you start. It does have a section of road but it is not horrible. Lots of nice BC type scenery including by the creek bed. I hike this trail quite a bit and rarely come across other hikers and that is usually on holiday weekends and such.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Good workout. Enjoyed the hike through the forest sections, didn't care for the logging road section of the trail.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Beautiful area. I did this hike at sunrise and it was peaceful and serene. Not much for scenery but forest. good workout overall.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Nice trail. Some nice hills and sections, not a whole lot to see but nice over all. The logging / service road wasn't too bad as it hadn't rained in a while. Worthwhile doing.

Monday, May 30, 2016

awesome trail

Monday, May 23, 2016

The trail itself was fine, but unfortunately we were walking on the trail and our dogs were close by and one of our pups was bit by a rattlesnake (we think it was a copperhead snake, about 4 feet long) We took her to the vet immediately and she is still there being treated currently. I would suggest not to bring dogs on this walk for safely reasons.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Nicely maintained trail. Not much to see here. Hiking near the creek was about as exciting as it got.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Took High King to Scarce o Fat down through part of the lake loop. I enjoyed Yellow Wood, and want to go back for more exploring. It's a much less crowded Brown County adventure than the main park.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Great trail, but the logging road was so muddy that it really made the hike less pleasant. Also, next time we'd start from the High King Hill trail because I'd much rather climb up that steep hill than down it.