Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Peninsula Trail

Peninsula Trail is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bloomington, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

paddle sports

beach

Great short day hike! Would love to return to backpack. Easy but satisfying. Crazy blue water, you forget you’re in Indiana for a brief moment.

Backpacked here in the fall. What a great place for an overnighter. Slept right by the water and could hear fish jumping all night. Cannot wait to return.

This is my favorite quick overnight backpacking trip, it's also great for younger kids. It's 5 miles from the trailhead/parking lot to the spot at the furthest reach of the peninsula. Horses do use this trail so if it's been wet be prepared for some really chopped up soupy areas.

Nice trail. We we’ve been backpacking on this trail twice, once in February and once in August and it was a good experience both times. Park at the Grubb Ridge parking area. From there it’s a fairly easy 1.5-2 hour hike to the shore. There are many ready to go campsites right on the lake. This is a popular camping area and there was quite a bit of trash left behind at some sites. On our February trip we got some rain/slush overnight and the trail gets very muddy quickly.

We did this hike in a cool, windy Saturday with our dog. Lots of traffic on the trail, including dogs and horses. Well-marked and maintained, and the campground at the lake looked nice and secluded. We are 56 and 48, and in very average shape, but completed this 9-10 mile hike in about 4.5 hours with nothing more than some sore feet! Recommended but get there early as both parking areas fill up fast and overflow quickly.

Nice trail. We enjoyed the time out in the woods. Quite a few other hikers. Needed to watch our step as the trail was shared with horses.

Lack of parking. We parked on gravel road with other cars and got an $80 ticket. Watch out for horse poop

Reached the trailhead around 10:30 on a Saturday and the lot was full. We had to park at the fire tower which added an extra 3 miles onto our hike there, and 2 on the way back because we took the road. The trail is shared with bikers and horses but we only saw horses. All were very friendly and we all shared the trails very nicely. The hike was mostly flat with a few small inclines. The trail is marked pretty well but it would be nice if there were more signs. The path was usually beat down pretty well but having never been, it’s be nice to have reassurance with signs. The turnaround point at the beach is beautiful and totally worth the hike. There are 4 campsites right along the water that I hope to stay at next time!!! The trail wasn’t too busy in October but there were a few groups and some solo hikers/backpackers. Not to secluded/not too busy. It was a great day!

surfing

Only gave 2 stars i’d have given it more definitely worth it but never found anywhere to surf

Nice trail. Very busy but plenty of camp sites.Rain on the way in but trail was in good shape. We were rewarded with a beautiful sunset

great overnight trip. well marked clear trail to plenty of options for campsites! Can't wait to do it again

I try to do this trail annually with a small group. Beautiful sunsets! Firewood gathering can be a challenge, depending on site chosen.

2 hour hike each way. Down hill in, uphill out. Campsites are the nicest remote sites I’ve seen.

I've hiked the trail a few time aover the years. My last trip was July 7-8 with the family. The trail is relatively easy. Both my non- hiking wife and just turned 7 year old got through it without any major complaints. The trail was busy but not crowded and there are lots of decent campsites. The trail have some very nice scenery thanks to the lake views and pine forests. That said, I would argue that the woods are always better in the fall. There were a few spots that we're muddy but, there were always walk-arounds. Most surprisingly, the trail and campsites were clean and nearly devoid of trash. I've seen the area around the lakeside campsites completely trashed before. I suspect there had been a recent clean up effort or, people have finally quit being slobs. lol

There is about 6 miles in of gravel road to get to trail head. The trail is used for horses and is not really very scenic until you get to the pine forest part - it improves at that point. Although we enjoyed this trail it is not one we would do again.

Good and relaxed. The lake is amazing. Bring floating gear to chill in the lake. Your shoes will take a beating from all the horse shit. It's a horse/walk trail. But had fun.... Cheers

Super muddy in certain areas but there is walk-around paths to avoid it. Very beautiful. Some areas were just breathtaking. My 5 year old cane along and loved every minute of it!

This was a great warm up backpacking trip for the season. The views from the peninsula are breathtaking! They made the somewhat muddy trail totally worth it!

Great camping with beautiful sunsets over Lake Monroe. The swimming was great to get all the mud and dirt off. One of our only complaints were about the trail, it is heavily trafficked by horses so it was very muddy for a large portion of the hike. Our doberman loved the hike and the camping.

Beautiful Trail, travels through diverse environs and ends at a beautiful lake setting. The trail is wide in most places and suitable for younger hikers, if they can handle the distance (4.5 mi). Truthfully, the best campsites are 15-30 min hike from the parking lot. We'll most likely do that next time and day-hike to the lake. It can and did get muddy after the rain as the horses dig up the trail pretty good. You should be prepared for possible muddy conditions. (now the bad part) My wife and I went on Memorial Day weekend. There was moderate traffic during the day and we arrived to the lake in the late afternoon. By that time the lake was hopping and packed like a Lake Havasu Spring Break. What I didn't know is that the boaters come over in the morning and take all the established (read: good) campsites and then go out boating all day. By the time hikers get there all that is left is primitive or non-established sites. Campsite rules pretty much go out the window and everyone was putting up a tent wherever there was an open spot.

Easy trail with a fantastic end view of Lake Monroe. Trail has a lot of variety of scenic view

Lost of horse poop. Decent camping spots once you hit the lake.

My brother and I hiked this trail a few different times. Easy hiking and beautiful landscape. The campsites along the lake near the end of the peninsula are absolutely flawless with phenomenal views!

First time on the Peninsula Trail and we loved it. It was crowded but the weather was perfect and we got one of the last spots on the west side of the peninsula. One of the prettiest sunsets I’ve ever seen. The trail was a little damp but not too bad. Can’t wait to go back when the water is warmer so we can swim!

*we found an E-collar at the beach section of this trail today. Pertainer brand with a black colllar. I put it on the bulletin board in the flyer box.*
Great hiking spot. Gets muddy and slippery on parts of the trails from the hose back riding.

Monday, March 19, 2018

Great trail for novice backpackers. We only saw a handful of people while we were on the trail, but the camp sites by the lake get full as the day goes on. Very dog friendly.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

This isn't a terribly challenging trail, plan on 2 hours or so to get from trailhead to camp. Great trail for a beginner or if you are taking someone backpacking for the first time. You get a little challenge and a pretty good payoff of lake views. Several easy to find campsites make for a comfortable stay with beautiful lake views. Enjoy!

Saturday, December 09, 2017

Awesome one nighter on Dec 2 weekend. Beautiful views. Didn't see much wildlife, although we did see an eagle cruising over Lake Monroe. Last weekend of hunting season, we did hear numerous gun shots in the evening and morning. Encountered one hunter who was processing his deer on the trail. I'll do this trail again, but not during hunting season.

Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Great trail with awesome lake views !! Easy hike and kid friendly