Patoka Lake Main Trail

Patoka Lake Main Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Celestine, Indiana that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

This trail was a nightmare. it was almost unfollowable at time because of thick bushes and weeds. I think I cleared out at a minimum, 100 spider webs with my face and the stick I was carrying. When I returned home I was also covered with around 100 deer ticks and another 20 or so turkey ticks. Who knows the amount of chigger bites I will wake up with in the morning... Do not hike this trail during the warm months, apparently no one else does.

The trail on the app says 5.2 miles. But following the signs it was 6.5. App needs updated. Signs did need some updating, but over all wasn't to bad, pretty weedy as well. So bring your bug spray for sure.

Nice wildness trail. Few trees over trail but no problem climbing over. Trail to north point overgrown. During the winter months lake elevations are very low we walked shoreline. Totem Rock and Pilot Knob are a must see. A lot of rock outcroppings. Trail signs do need some TLC

Real nice trail. Great taste of S. IN woodlands. Quiet.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

needs some TLC, but OK for a quick get away

Monday, September 05, 2016

Not an experienced hiker by any means and a bit overweight, we completed the trail today. While, strenuous, it wasn't as bad as I had envisioned. Enjoyed the hike, parts of the trail are a bit overgrown, but nothing we couldn't navigate. Lots of spiderwebs, but nothing different then being in the woods hunting squirrels this time of year. We loved the hike and will go back and do it again soon. One word of caution, we did get a good dose of turkey ticks that took some time to tend to once we got home. Overall, we all enjoyed the trail and look forward to our next trek.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Disappointed with the upkeep of this trail. Over grown is the best description I can come up with. Several trees have fallen across what is supposed to be the trail. The trail itself is a dirt/mud path with lots of narrow paths that is overgrown by posion ivy and of brush.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Not maintained at all. Muddy, rocky, tons of spider webs and your typical woody pests. The trail itself went from some areas (very few) that two people could walk side by side, to overgrown and less than 4-5 inches wide in some parts. Less than a mile in, we already had to climb over two very large trees that had fallen across the path. Overall, was pretty disappointed in the general lack of maintenance, given the fact that it's in a state park.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Fantastic trail in all aspects. Hiked in late spring, and got caught in a rain storm, but that made it more enjoyable for me.

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Not bad. Some markets were missing but overall a good experience.

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Friday, November 06, 2015

Very scenic trail for Indiana, lots of small hills with a few bigger ones makes for a nice little two hour hike.

Thursday, July 30, 2015

I hiked this trail in 2014 it's marked as a moderate trail. I'd give it a bit more but was definitely a good hike. most of the trail is marked very well. Has some really nice rock formations and a couple views of the lake.

Saturday, July 05, 2014

Not sure where Stewart hiked but it wasn't this trail. You start near the back of the visitors center. At 1.6 miles you get to totem rock, a very interesting site, the next 5 miles is just a walk on a trail in the woods, nothing special but a good work out!

Friday, March 16, 2012

The trails are logging roads: wide, muddy, and very rutted up by vehicles. Alot of trees being logged creates a very ugly , messy looking trail. Would not recommend unless you want a very strenuous hike.