Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Pate Hollow Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Smithville, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 898 feet Route Type: Loop

From Bloomington, IN, take State Road 446 south approximately 9.8 miles. From Bedford, take US 50 east to State Road 446. Follow State Road 446 to the north approximately 24 miles to the trailhead.

recorded Pate Hollow Trail

Tranquil. Challenging at times, but well worth it.

This was a great hike for a very hot, humid day. There was shade the entire time. In the almost 3hours that it took to hike, we only crossed paths with others about a dozen time. Everyone was very respectful about keeping distance. The trail has some pretty muddy places, but it wasn’t too bad overall.

Great hike. It had some hills and I would also say the moderate rating is accurate. I got a pretty good workout in.

It was a great hike. I’m a beginner and it was pretty challenging! Several large hills

recorded Pate Hollow Trail

Nice trail for some social distancing. We went on a warm Wednesday and only saw a few other groups. This trail includes a few stream crossings, a view of the the lake, and some good bird watching. Offers a good workout with lots of ups and downs.

Our first long hike on this mostly cloudy spring day! It was very hilly- up and downhill. Trails as narrow. Lots of new spring flowers. Crossed a couple creeks, nice to go by the lake.

Heavily trafficked is right. We set out early so we could "socially distance" ourselves. The first several miles we saw very few people, but as we approached the end of the hike we were met by group after group. the hike was nice with some views of lake monroe flooding into lowlands. some of the trail was quite muddy but we had a great time regardless.

Great over all trail. Its listed as moderate and I think that is pretty accurate. There are several areas that were pretty muddy but nothing that you cant get through with some boots. The only down fall of the trail is it isn't labeled in any way shape or form. Seems like no big deal for a loop but there are some maintenance trails and it can get confusing in spots. Using your phone for gps will help.

Hiked this trail for the first time today. Was a bit muddy in some areas but overall the trail is in good condition. Great hike, I'm sure will be even prettier in a few weeks as everything becomes green again!

Beautiful trail! The trail markers are not posted as of March 25, 2020. It was muddy in parts due to recent rains so be prepared with appropriate shoes.

Nice conditions, although the trail will be quite muddy when the ground thaws. Free to access, a little hilly, and mostly empty.

Brought the pups. Cold and breezy, 28F. Overall, good hike

I loved the trail but would recommend it to only older kids. I feel that kids age 11 and younger would just complain the whole time and that’s no fun to adults. Good for races and cross country!

Trail was not marked very well. It was a nice hike with no leaves on the trees, but I wouldn’t do this hike in the summer. There wouldn’t be any views.

Leisure trail. Not much elevation change but a good way to get a couple miles in. On Sunday morning, I saw maybe a dozen people on the trail. I had a snack at the lake and enjoyed the view. Trail is marked well. Trailhead is not 9.8 miles from 46 like the description says - it is more like 5. I passed it and had to turn around but then found it easily.

I hiked here with a group from IU Healthy Hoosier Hikes. I really liked that there were full maps available at almost every intersection, showing where you were and mileage options based on which way you went. We took the longer loop and got a GREAT view of the lake. Moderate difficulty. A good amount of ups and downs by Southern Indiana standards. We did hear some hunters gun shots in the distance, which was a little unnerving. But overall, I would definitely recommend it!

Had a great hike today! Great views from the high ridges. The trail is consistently moderate difficulty, lots of inclines and declines, but allows you to hike at a good pace. It took us + one dog about 2.5 hours to do the longest trail route... which seemed to be about 6.5 miles long. We only saw 2-3 groups of people while on the trails, it’s much less crowded than a state park would be.

Nice trail. No great scenery or viewpoints, but still a very enjoyable Indiana hike. A couple trees down which added character in my opinion. Probably moderate difficulty. It is up and down for sure but nothing steep.

had an amazing hike today, they need to put out more maps and update the trail markers but otherwise great pathway. it has some steep declines and inclines so be aware

Trail in good condition now. Sadly the creeks were dry as it hadn't rained for a while. Some steep ups and downs to get the heart rate up. A nice trail with a short section along the shore of Lake Monroe.

Our family of 7 (kids: 12, 12, 10, 6 & 4) hiked this trail recently, and enjoyed ourselves. The course itself was only moderately challenging. Our primary challenges were that it was 90 degrees, and the bugs were plentiful. Maybe that is why there was almost no one else on the trail. There were no streams or running water (other than the lake obviously), probably due to lack of recent rain. It appeared that there would be several small streams to pass throughout if there were recent rain. We stopped and soaked our feet in the water and had a snack when we reached the lake. We had a great time, and would recommend it to both avid hikers and families.

Trail winds through hardwood forests interspersed with pine groves. Quite a few hills, some with switchbacks to make the ascent a little easier. At least a dozen tree trunks across the trail, but they were easy to step over. Trail parallels an inlet of Lake Monroe for a short distance, and there was even a little stone fire ring in a cleared-out spot next to it. Saw one small snake about 18" long that I believe to be a juvenile rat snake. It actually slithered across my right shoe mid stride before I knew it was there. Very harmless. Lots of chipmunks, which showed zero fear of humans. Startled a decent 8-point whitetail buck from his bed, and he simply trotted into a hollow.

Awesome trail. Very popular with trail runners and dog lovers. Lots of elevation changes and well worn trail the entire way, so impossible to get off course. A few trees still down across trail, but easy to navigate around/over.

I recommend this trail. Nice views and not too busy