Pate Hollow Trail

Pate Hollow Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bloomington, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Bloomington, IN, take State Road 446 south approximately 9.8 miles. From Bedford, take US 50 east to State Road 446. Follow State Road 446 to the north approximately 24 miles to the trailhead.

I loved that the trail was an actual trail and no fire road to travel. Beatiful trail and I didn't think it was especially difficult or hard. Definitely not as hard as Low Gap. The markers along the trail were nice but it was hard to locate the "you are here" arrow to track your progress. We started at the north trail head and just stayed right on the outter loop. Ultimately we had to use GPS to determine our location as the sun was setting and we had already passed mile 6 on the fit bit. This entire loop is actually a little over 8 miles!! Still a good trail and I would do it again.

Took about a half mile in and back of the Whitetail Trail with my 4-year-old and toddler. Beautiful and very green! Also pretty hilly, and a little tough for little ones at times because of fallen trees. They did well, though. We saw LOTS of spiders and spider webs, a deer, and a small frog. They loved it!

There's a cute little fairy door in one of the trees out there. There's also a few lookouts onto the lake. The terrain towards the end was a little difficult. There was some weaving back and forth and a lot of up and down hill. Overall, a pretty good hike. We also saw a lot of butterflies and small roads (and spiders!) It's a relatively private trail. Easy to access but we didn't run into any other people while we were out.

Scenic hike makes you feel like Robin Hood in Sherwood Forest. Shade from the trees afforded an enjoyable temperature and the trail signs were easy to follow. While the terrain is by no means difficult, the full loop is long and requires plenty of water. We will definitely be back.

My 12-year-old and I conquered this trail today. The trailer is very easy to follow and while it is not rugged terrain it is a long hike. Definitely make sure that you take plenty of water. Also there are several places to stop Lakeside if you bring a snack or lunch. The route we took was 6.1 miles start to finish and took us just under three hours.

Great trail. Only had a few fellow hikers a long the way. Well maintained. I would highly recommend.

Nicely maintained trail. Would rate at moderate difficulty. Has a large parking lot and there is good signage.

I really loved this Trail. I will definitely be doing this one again!

Great for a beginner like myself! A few good views of the Lake along the way. We hiked Memorial Day wkend-- very busy. Really enjoyed the trail, and so did the pup.

Great hike at the outskirts of Bloomington. You can do it quickly in about 2.25 hours but would expect most closer to 2.75 with some much needed water breaks.