Pate Hollow Trail

Pate Hollow Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bloomington, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Bloomington, IN, take State Road 446 south approximately 9.8 miles. From Bedford, take US 50 east to State Road 446. Follow State Road 446 to the north approximately 24 miles to the trailhead.

Great trail. Only had a few fellow hikers a long the way. Well maintained. I would highly recommend.

Nicely maintained trail. Would rate at moderate difficulty. Has a large parking lot and there is good signage.

I really loved this Trail. I will definitely be doing this one again!

Great for a beginner like myself! A few good views of the Lake along the way. We hiked Memorial Day wkend-- very busy. Really enjoyed the trail, and so did the pup.

Great hike at the outskirts of Bloomington. You can do it quickly in about 2.25 hours but would expect most closer to 2.75 with some much needed water breaks.

My wife and I hiked this trail on Mother's Day. We both really enjoyed it and planning to go again next weekend. I would consider this trail as "moderate" versus the listed rating of "hard". It is 6.1 miles from start to finish. The 5.8 miles listed doesn't include the small portion of trail to and from the parking lot and it does offer some optional shorter routes for those not wanting to do the full distance.

We are by no means experienced hikers, but we finished this trail in about 2 hours and 20 minutes just taking our time. It has a couple good elevation climbs on the southern portion of the trail. There has been a lot of storms in the area so there were 3-4 trees down over the trail that were recently fallen. However it seemed to be well maintained overall.

Great trail.

Great trail.

Night hike, shouldn't be considered hard unless you're hiking straight through switchbacks, even then, moderate. Nonetheless, beautiful.

Pristine woods, some moderate elevation, plenty of scenic spots, and a pleasant passage beside an inlet of Lake Monroe. 6.5 mi with no shortcuts. About as nice a hike as you'll find in these parts.

Overall a great hiking trail! There a few great views of Lake Monroe near the western portion of the trail and some nice elevation changes on the southern portion of the trail. We went in early April and only saw a handful of people on the trail.