Pate Hollow Trail

Pate Hollow Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bloomington, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

From Bloomington, IN, take State Road 446 south approximately 9.8 miles. From Bedford, take US 50 east to State Road 446. Follow State Road 446 to the north approximately 24 miles to the trailhead.

Great trail. Not too many people on a Saturday morning. Not a "hard" trail as stated, closer to a moderate.

A good choice for us. Good shade from the heat, good variety of up and downhills. Very pretty, but lacking in scenic lookouts since there's no large peaks around. I'm 45 in fair shape and would consider the full loop moderate. Don't let the 'hard' label worry you too much. We spotted several toads, a few turtles, a snake, and some very active fish once we reached the lake.

Very awesome hike with neat views. I took my puppy and ended up going 6 miles for 3 hours total. Two other people had dogs and both were off leash, so that was annoying. One was well trained but the other was obnoxious and got my dog too excited. Also passed by lots of backpackers and runners. Ended up with 4 ticks at the end, so watch out.

Really good trail. You can alter the distance how you would like. I did the full outer loop. It took me and the dog 2.5 hours. Good scenery.

Great trail!

Worth a visit, but not quite as scenic as other trails in the area.

Great hike! Took about 2 hours and 15 mins to do this loop at a pretty quick pace with minimal stops. Beautiful scenic loop passing by Lake Monroe. Hillier than expected, but nonetheless an afternoon well spent. Clean, obvious trails.

Fun, scenic trail! Great workout too, as there are a lot of very steep hills to climb. Someone scratched in "you are here" markings on the metal signs along the way, which proved to be helpful! We started north, passing the White Tail Trailhead, intending to do the entire outer loop. we missed our first turn to the right and ended up coming back south onto the trail that runs through the middle. But we did continue to head west and did the remainder of the outer loop coming back over the part of trail that we started on. With all the rain we've had, the water was very high and we had difficulty finding a place where we could cross the creek without getting our feet soaked. Otherwise, pretty smooth sailing! I will say the mileage on this map entry is way off. The map the trail provides states the entire loop in 7.7miles, and with the little section we missed, and only retracing one small part of the trail coming back to the entrance, we finished at 6.8miles.

Trail was great, pitched a tent for the night at the only spot by the lake with my 11 year old. Though a spotting the place was hard, it was off trail. This was the only spot with flat ground as the terrain is mostly hilly. Thanks to someone who had made a stone fireplace.
Some rookie mistakes I made :-).
Was overconfident on starting a fire and did not carry a fire starter. Rain had made wood soggy and I ended up loosing my propane tank cooking burner trying to make fire. We succeed after an hour of trying.
I broke my 2.2 lb axe as it caught in a wood splitting position with a dead wood.
Found out I had pitched the tent, by a giant dead wood tree) not that there were many, flat locations away from path of expected rain). Made a makeshift dead wood A-frame to avert being crushed to death. However, my son woke me up at 2:45am scared for his life and asked if we could move the tent (He had actually heard rain water dumping from the rain fly). I had to look for any other options and assure myself things will be fine and fixed the rain fly that took 45 minuets in the biting cold.
Took off for evening walk till the creek but lost our way on the way back as I had forgotten to mark to spot to our site, did catch it quickly and found it in about 10 minuets. My son was terrified.
We heard shot gun shots all day long - we had our hunter orange on and obviously did not get shot :)
There were some friendly trail runners with dogs (off leash). Temperatures were 55F first day to 30F the following morning.
Woke up to a freezing morning with flurries and ice slush. Fire was all out for the rain for last night were out for propane to make oatmeal or warm coco. Packing up to leave in the cold took over an hour. Hiking back was good after about half way, we did not want to take chances and headed the way back we came from. Thanks to someone in the comments here we took the path to climb up (right) and reach the lake view in about 2.5 miles. Overall ours spirits are not broken and survived our first winter hike...
thank you and all the best...

One of the best trails around. Lots of hills and scenic spots.

An excellent hike with a good layout and multiple distance options. The views of the ridge lines and lake were great this fall. Thanks to whomever was kind enough to scratch in the “you are here” marks on the sign posts.

Great hike, good elevation but good trail pattern to ease the climb. Somewhat a low gap trail ‘little brother’. Fairly low traffic and great scenery. Perfect Sunday morning excursion.

The hike was enjoyable, albeit a bit arduous at times. There are some great places to rest near the lake. Be wary going off trail, most of everything you see belongs to giant spooky spiders who know how tall you are, and primarily make webs at that height.

This was a very nice and quiet trail when I hiked it at 8:30am on a Saturday in September. I would suggest stopping a little before halfway when you get near the lake. Hop off the trail to take a peek. The downside is that the trail was covered with spider webs. I literally walked into 50 of them.

Excellent trail. Very heavy canopy so that undergrowth isn't heavy, which is great for reducing bugs and brambles. Lots of hollows and nice stop at the lake for picnicking.
We'll go back for sure.

I loved that the trail was an actual trail and no fire road to travel. Beatiful trail and I didn't think it was especially difficult or hard. Definitely not as hard as Low Gap. The markers along the trail were nice but it was hard to locate the "you are here" arrow to track your progress. We started at the north trail head and just stayed right on the outter loop. Ultimately we had to use GPS to determine our location as the sun was setting and we had already passed mile 6 on the fit bit. This entire loop is actually a little over 8 miles!! Still a good trail and I would do it again.

Took about a half mile in and back of the Whitetail Trail with my 4-year-old and toddler. Beautiful and very green! Also pretty hilly, and a little tough for little ones at times because of fallen trees. They did well, though. We saw LOTS of spiders and spider webs, a deer, and a small frog. They loved it!

There's a cute little fairy door in one of the trees out there. There's also a few lookouts onto the lake. The terrain towards the end was a little difficult. There was some weaving back and forth and a lot of up and down hill. Overall, a pretty good hike. We also saw a lot of butterflies and small roads (and spiders!) It's a relatively private trail. Easy to access but we didn't run into any other people while we were out.

Scenic hike makes you feel like Robin Hood in Sherwood Forest. Shade from the trees afforded an enjoyable temperature and the trail signs were easy to follow. While the terrain is by no means difficult, the full loop is long and requires plenty of water. We will definitely be back.

My 12-year-old and I conquered this trail today. The trailer is very easy to follow and while it is not rugged terrain it is a long hike. Definitely make sure that you take plenty of water. Also there are several places to stop Lakeside if you bring a snack or lunch. The route we took was 6.1 miles start to finish and took us just under three hours.

Great trail. Only had a few fellow hikers a long the way. Well maintained. I would highly recommend.

Nicely maintained trail. Would rate at moderate difficulty. Has a large parking lot and there is good signage.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

I really loved this Trail. I will definitely be doing this one again!

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Great for a beginner like myself! A few good views of the Lake along the way. We hiked Memorial Day wkend-- very busy. Really enjoyed the trail, and so did the pup.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Great hike at the outskirts of Bloomington. You can do it quickly in about 2.25 hours but would expect most closer to 2.75 with some much needed water breaks.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

My wife and I hiked this trail on Mother's Day. We both really enjoyed it and planning to go again next weekend. I would consider this trail as "moderate" versus the listed rating of "hard". It is 6.1 miles from start to finish. The 5.8 miles listed doesn't include the small portion of trail to and from the parking lot and it does offer some optional shorter routes for those not wanting to do the full distance.

We are by no means experienced hikers, but we finished this trail in about 2 hours and 20 minutes just taking our time. It has a couple good elevation climbs on the southern portion of the trail. There has been a lot of storms in the area so there were 3-4 trees down over the trail that were recently fallen. However it seemed to be well maintained overall.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Great trail.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Great trail.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Night hike, shouldn't be considered hard unless you're hiking straight through switchbacks, even then, moderate. Nonetheless, beautiful.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Pristine woods, some moderate elevation, plenty of scenic spots, and a pleasant passage beside an inlet of Lake Monroe. 6.5 mi with no shortcuts. About as nice a hike as you'll find in these parts.