Peninsula Trail is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bloomington, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

beach

Grubb Ridge Loop Parking

Nice trail. We we’ve been backpacking on this trail twice, once in February and once in August and it was a good experience both times. Park at the Grubb Ridge parking area. From there it’s a fairly easy 1.5-2 hour hike to the shore. There are many ready to go campsites right on the lake. This is a popular camping area and there was quite a bit of trash left behind at some sites. On our February trip we got some rain/slush overnight and the trail gets very muddy quickly.

Nice trail. We enjoyed the time out in the woods. Quite a few other hikers. Needed to watch our step as the trail was shared with horses.

Lack of parking. We parked on gravel road with other cars and got an $80 ticket. Watch out for horse poop

Reached the trailhead around 10:30 on a Saturday and the lot was full. We had to park at the fire tower which added an extra 3 miles onto our hike there, and 2 on the way back because we took the road. The trail is shared with bikers and horses but we only saw horses. All were very friendly and we all shared the trails very nicely. The hike was mostly flat with a few small inclines. The trail is marked pretty well but it would be nice if there were more signs. The path was usually beat down pretty well but having never been, it’s be nice to have reassurance with signs. The turnaround point at the beach is beautiful and totally worth the hike. There are 4 campsites right along the water that I hope to stay at next time!!! The trail wasn’t too busy in October but there were a few groups and some solo hikers/backpackers. Not to secluded/not too busy. It was a great day!

surfing

Only gave 2 stars i’d have given it more definitely worth it but never found anywhere to surf

Nice trail. Very busy but plenty of camp sites.Rain on the way in but trail was in good shape. We were rewarded with a beautiful sunset

great overnight trip. well marked clear trail to plenty of options for campsites! Can't wait to do it again

I try to do this trail annually with a small group. Beautiful sunsets! Firewood gathering can be a challenge, depending on site chosen.

2 hour hike each way. Down hill in, uphill out. Campsites are the nicest remote sites I’ve seen.

I've hiked the trail a few time aover the years. My last trip was July 7-8 with the family. The trail is relatively easy. Both my non- hiking wife and just turned 7 year old got through it without any major complaints. The trail was busy but not crowded and there are lots of decent campsites. The trail have some very nice scenery thanks to the lake views and pine forests. That said, I would argue that the woods are always better in the fall. There were a few spots that we're muddy but, there were always walk-arounds. Most surprisingly, the trail and campsites were clean and nearly devoid of trash. I've seen the area around the lakeside campsites completely trashed before. I suspect there had been a recent clean up effort or, people have finally quit being slobs. lol

There is about 6 miles in of gravel road to get to trail head. The trail is used for horses and is not really very scenic until you get to the pine forest part - it improves at that point. Although we enjoyed this trail it is not one we would do again.

Good and relaxed. The lake is amazing. Bring floating gear to chill in the lake. Your shoes will take a beating from all the horse shit. It's a horse/walk trail. But had fun.... Cheers

Super muddy in certain areas but there is walk-around paths to avoid it. Very beautiful. Some areas were just breathtaking. My 5 year old cane along and loved every minute of it!

This was a great warm up backpacking trip for the season. The views from the peninsula are breathtaking! They made the somewhat muddy trail totally worth it!

Great camping with beautiful sunsets over Lake Monroe. The swimming was great to get all the mud and dirt off. One of our only complaints were about the trail, it is heavily trafficked by horses so it was very muddy for a large portion of the hike. Our doberman loved the hike and the camping.

Lost of horse poop. Decent camping spots once you hit the lake.

My brother and I hiked this trail a few different times. Easy hiking and beautiful landscape. The campsites along the lake near the end of the peninsula are absolutely flawless with phenomenal views!

First time on the Peninsula Trail and we loved it. It was crowded but the weather was perfect and we got one of the last spots on the west side of the peninsula. One of the prettiest sunsets I’ve ever seen. The trail was a little damp but not too bad. Can’t wait to go back when the water is warmer so we can swim!

*we found an E-collar at the beach section of this trail today. Pertainer brand with a black colllar. I put it on the bulletin board in the flyer box.*
Great hiking spot. Gets muddy and slippery on parts of the trails from the hose back riding.

Great trail for novice backpackers. We only saw a handful of people while we were on the trail, but the camp sites by the lake get full as the day goes on. Very dog friendly.

This isn't a terribly challenging trail, plan on 2 hours or so to get from trailhead to camp. Great trail for a beginner or if you are taking someone backpacking for the first time. You get a little challenge and a pretty good payoff of lake views. Several easy to find campsites make for a comfortable stay with beautiful lake views. Enjoy!

Awesome one nighter on Dec 2 weekend. Beautiful views. Didn't see much wildlife, although we did see an eagle cruising over Lake Monroe. Last weekend of hunting season, we did hear numerous gun shots in the evening and morning. Encountered one hunter who was processing his deer on the trail. I'll do this trail again, but not during hunting season.

Saturday, November 04, 2017

Monday, October 23, 2017

The trail was beautiful! Well marked. It is also well maintained. We chose a camp site out by the beach. A great weekend!

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Hiked in for the weekend and found a great campsite. They're not all easy to find- just look for the fire rings. Wonderful fall weather and great views. The hike in was pretty moderate but felt like it went quickly.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Great hike! Took my 8 year old son and spent the day fishing at our awesome campsite. The hike itself wasn’t difficult and the change leaves made for a pleasant time. I really enjoyed the old forest pine trees. We caught several bluegill and a bass from the shore.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Friday, September 01, 2017

Favorite trail in Indiana, and one of the finest in the Midwest. A short distance right outside of Bloomington makes this an easy weekend trip. My law school buddies and I hiked this trail four or five times and would drive down from Indianapolis to hit the trail.

The scenery is great, and the terrain isn't extremely difficult. The views of the lake at the end of the peninsula are beautiful and with proper planning you can find some beautiful campsites. The campsites are level for the most part, and are very well-used so there are established stone fire pits everywhere. Further, all the tree cover provides a lot of great spots to put up the hammock!

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Love the camp sites at the end of the trail. Bring water shoes, the rocks are way hard on the feet.