Peninsula Trail

Peninsula Trail is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bloomington, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

beach

Grubb Ridge Loop Parking

great trail gorgeous view the campsites are directly by the lake! lovely weather. Bring a swim suit cause you are probably going to want to swim in the lake!

Parking: Park in the Grubb Parking lot. It's not really a parking lot. It's a giant clearing with gravel on the ground. Everyone crambs their cars into it like a giant puzzel. I arrived at 8am on a Sunday morning. Almost every spot was taken. That's because people were back packing from Friday, Saturday. I was able to get a spot.

Trail. If you take the Grubb Trail to the Peninsula Trail it's about 5 miles in one direction. It took me about an hour and 50 minutes. The terrian on the Penninsula Trail is slightly down hill heading to Monroe Lake. That means it's up hill on the way back. You don't notice the slope of the terrain until you head back.

Camp sites: Absolutely beautiful view of the lake. Breathtaking sunsets.

Swimming: Bring water shoes if you plan on swimming. The beach is all sharp, slippery rocks. No flip flops or sandles. WATER SHOES!

Went to Deam in June for 4 days and 3 nights and had an awesome time. The peninsula trail was not too bad a hike at all. From the lot it took me about two hours to get there. I added some extra weight to my pack with a fishing pole and it was worth it. The first night I caught my dinner from the lake. Some advice, take something to hang your food. I had a raccoon come into my camp the first night and tore a hole in my pack for some nuts I forgot I had in there. Mosquitos weren't bad. I didn't use bug spray the whole time. The ticks on the other hand were EVERYWHERE! Overall it was an awesome experience for my first solo trip. I met some cool people and learned a few things.

Had an amazing time--pretty flat, easy to follow trail. The ~4 miles of gravel road to get to the trailhead tested my car's suspension, but it was a really nice, well kept road. Filtered water for our group right from the lake (pre-filtered it through a bandana before going through a Sawyer Mini) and had no problems. Great spot!

Easy, flat trail. Amazing camping - one of my favorite backpacking spots!

Grub Ridge Loop to Peninsula Trail.

Just under five miles one way, the trail is very easily identifiable. Gorgeous view of Lake Monroe at the end, with several first come first serve sites with a lake view.

Not easy to get lost on, short one way distance, and minimal elevation gain makes it a great spot for beginners.

Nice hike to the camp sites, exquisit sunset viewing, peacefull. Definately worth the walk!

Great trail with a rewarding view of Lake Monroe at the end. Minimal elevation gain so even the most inexperienced hiker can enjoy themselves Personally, I utilize the bypasses to the left and right to avoid the muddy spots made from horse traffic.

Had a wonderful time.
The trail was a bit muddy in places, but was to be expected because of the recent rain.
The view from our campsite was beautiful.
Only issue was someone across the way play music late in the night.

This is a great trail out & back , was pretty muddy on this trip , but on dryer times it would be great , The lake is a welcome reward at the end , 5.1 miles one way