Ouabache State Park Trail Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(60)
Ouabache State Park

Ouabache State Park Trail Loop is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bluffton, Indiana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 124 feet Route Type: Loop

Great trail. A little swamppy at points but worth it for a beautiful forest

Muddy in the area before getting to the bison. Shoes were lost and recovered. Haha. Overall a great trail!

The path was extremely muddy to the point where you'd sink a good 3" and there wasn't a way around. Though there were a few wildflowers, it's hard to suggest this as a spring hike. We did see the bison but it wasn't our primary reason for the hike and the odor from their area was really intense. Always good to be out in the woods, but this one didn't really work for us.

This is a nice easy, dog friendly, hike. This time of year it is extremely muddy in many places and we were covered in mud by the end. The trail runs along side a short section of the bison exhibit which gives hikers potentially amazing views of the herd. There are a lot of deer prints in the mud but we did not see any deer during the day. At one point we almost stepped on a snake - keep your eyes open. The path is wide and very well marked in most places. We started at the lake, hiked counter clockwise, and took a shortcut on trail 4 closer to the end which shaved a little off the total distance. We would normally have hiked the entire trail, but it was way too difficult with the water and mud. I recommend tall waterproof boots this time of year.

Great area bison are beautiful love the mix of hard woods and pine. Easy but beautiful trail kids love it we will be back many more times. Already been twinge since we got into hiking via its only 35 mins from the house

Easy, wide open trial. Very few people.

Easy hike. Level. Dry. Mostly shaded.

We took a couple shortcuts

We hiked this in late winter. Trail was very muddy so we got to break in our new boots. Very peaceful atmosphere. We got up close to the bison as we showed up as the Rangers were feeding them. They were very informative about the large animals and told us of other state parks that we would enjoy visiting.

Much of the trail was over grown even up to my knees sometimes. Pics are from areas that were decent. Disappointed by the trail.

Mon May 06 2019

Overall it was a great hike. The old fire tower and bison made the trip totally worth it. The trails were very muddy though, almost impassable. I would still do it again though.

Thu Apr 25 2019

I was surprised by all the pine trees. The path is very wide and the day we were there it was quite muddy. Going clockwise on trail 5, the second half was a little drier. A barred owl posed for us in the deciduous forest toward the end. Even though it is flat, the distance and different trees make it enjoyable.

Mon Jan 21 2019

Awesome! Beautiful trails

Mon Jan 21 2019

We completed the trail in 7 or so inches of snow. The snow on the trees made the trail gorgeous, and the snow on the ground made it more challenging. Overall, it's a pretty basic trail that would make a nice forest walk in any other season. It follows a meandering creek in several places. The bison enclosure is an added bonus!

Sun Sep 23 2018

Great hike; well groomed trail & bonus buffalo area! Worth a trip...... FYI: $7.00 park entrance fee!

Wed Aug 22 2018

Nice place to spend the day for a forest stroll. This park not only holds well maintained nature trails, but also has their own great American bison enclosure, an animal that used to call Indiana home. Gorgeous summer wildflowers, creeks, and wildlife.

Mon Nov 27 2017

The bison make this trail a 5. Otherwise a well maintained but basic trail.

Mon Sep 18 2017

This is a nice and easy trail. I tracked the distance on the loop, trail 5 at 6 miles. I must have walked a few of the turns a bit wide. Trail was dry, flat, and well cared for. I will never get use to roots being painted safety orange on a trail. I guess better safe than sorry. Seeing the buffalos were a nice added bonus.

Sun May 14 2017

The trail is still pretty muddy in places. There is very little traffic. Even on a Saturday we only saw a couple of people. The trail is very quiet and peaceful. I will definitely be going back.

Sun May 07 2017

Well worth the trip to see the bison. Trails were wet/muddy, but passable considering all the rain and flooding recently.

Mon Jan 30 2017

A wonderful hike, even at 18 degrees.

Sat Jan 14 2017

Great relaxing, scenic nice trail. Love the Bison exhibit!

Sat Dec 03 2016

Enjoyable 6 mile loop trail. I took an extra mile loop around the wildlife pen to view the bison herd. Wide and easy to follow even with leaves covering the ground. There is very little elevation change but the tree variety is good. There are multiple little footbridge crossing streams and a nice small lake for fishing. There is a pit toilet at the start of the loop south of the lake and several benches along the route. It took me 2 hours to do the 7 mile route.

Sat Oct 29 2016

Absolutely beautiul trail...very clearly marked. Level easy terrain.

Mon Sep 15 2014

The good and the bad - it's in the middle of Indiana farm country. Why good - so am I, so it's a few miles up the road. The bad - Indiana farm country is flat. Trail 5 (as all trails at the park), are nicely shaded paths through woodland, with an occasional footbridge over a wet area. Not a bad way to spend a few hours! The park also has buffalo, a lake and a fire tower that you can still climb.

Sat May 31 2014

It's probably not a 5 star but it's in my backyard and I gotta show some hometown love.

Sun Aug 28 2011

Easy easy trail. Wide and flat. Will provide shade throughout thentrail

Sat Apr 26 2008

This should be updated. These trails, along with some new sections now make up the Bloodroot trail. It's 13 miles total and you can easily access other trails (Tree Trail and Marsh Trail) without much off-trail hiking to make it about an 16-18 mile trip. For this part of Indiana it's my favorite trail. Also open to mountain biking but can often be pretty muddy in parts for that.

Sun Jun 20 2004

Skip the first part of this hike - the Boundary Trail - if you are going after Memorial Day. What was described as knee high grass was more like waist high and the trail was barely discernable in places. But, there were some nice highlights along the Lakeview portion - including wild raspberries!