O'Bannon Woods Trail is a 15 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Corydon, Indiana that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 15.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,876 feet Route Type: Loop

O'Bannon Woods State Park (formerly Wyandotte Woods State Recreation Area) lies in the central and extreme southern part of the state, bordering the Ohio River. It is nestled inside 26,000-acre Harrison Crawford State Forest, but is managed separately Due to the nature of the terrain, most trails in O'Bannon will be slightly more difficult that their similarly labeled counterparts in other Indiana parks.

We parked at Sassafras picnic area and hiked to the fire tower. We hiked out of the park to the Disabled Hunters Trail and walked down to the Adventure Trail in an attempt to loop back to the campgrounds near the parking lot. The park map and the Alltrails map had a vague similarity to what we experienced. Markings were great at first then faded away when we truly needed them. This is a grueling, though not very scenic hike. BTW, the ticks were VERY bad.

Not steep at all, just a long distance. My knee flared up so I made several shortcuts to get back and got turned around a couple times. The shortcuts weren’t groomed or marked trails. But as long as you stick to the main trail it’s a great hike. Unfortunately some noise pollution will be inevitable

This a loop along the disabled hunters trail and the Fox Hollow Trail. I parked at the fire tower in Obannon Woods State Park and hiked out the entrance to the disabled hunters trail about 1/2 mile out of the park. If you are looking for a easy scenic walk , this is it. Today all the redbud trees were in bloom. The hike is along a gravel road the entire way. You exit on Fox Hollow Trail just a little west of the Fire Tower then it just a little walk along the fire tower access road back to where you park for the hike. I measured it as a 4.4 mile loop. Enjoy!

This is a out and back hike down the “old forest road” to the old Iron Bridge. It is a gravel road which was the original entrance road to the park in the early years of the park. I use this trail for hill training when the AHT is muddy. Enjoy!

This is a hike of Fox Hollow Trail from the fire tower to Twin Chimneys. Using this trail hill for training for the Rim to Rim hike in the Grand Canyon. This is a gravel road/trail with picnic areas along the trail including the Twin Chimneys. Enjoy!

I hiked “The Old Forest Road” to the iron bridge just to record the trip. This road is the old entrance road to the park. The bridge in the photo is the old iron bridge that crosses the Blue River. The road is very well maintained and and easy hike. Enjoy!

One or two simple blowdowns but all in all a good Trail

Tue Apr 09 2019

This was my longest route to date on these trails. Very sunny and a little bit of road walk

Sun Apr 07 2019

This was another great day-great Hike and weather until the storm at the end.

Fri Apr 05 2019

Only did the FireTower trail and the Rocky ledge trail loop and doubled back 7 miles out/loop/ and back, very enjoyable!

Mon May 21 2018

I hiked most of this trail this past weekend with some scouts who were prepping for Philmont. The trail was challenging and pushed all of us We started at Old Forest Road, traveled clockwise, and finished by exiting the gravel road that runs from the Old Iron Bridge (OIB) to the entrance of the horse camp. The trail was nice and well marked, even through the small reroute on the southern end. The trail was slick in many places due to moisture. Water was non-existent existent. The portion on the trail in the reroute that is shared with horses, was destroyed and muddy as heck but, it was pretty short. While the hike was nice, there weren't many views because of the foliage. One note as you are planning your water caches. The park map shows that water is available near the trail, at the end of the horse camp. This is not accessible for hikers becuase of the steep hillside between the trail and marked water. Even the walk from the trail, up the OIB access road, through the horse camp, isnt reasonable. This source was marked for the horse camp. We dropped water where the trail crossed Cold Friday Road and again at the Pioneer Picnic Shelter. A third drop near the OIB would be nice if you didn't want to try filtering from the river but, I'm not sure how that would done. Have fun and be safe.

Wed Jun 28 2017

This is a fantastic trail. Very challenging but, well worth it. My experience was that it was marked fairly well but, you have to watch for the correct blazes. Occasionally, the trail crosses through clear cuts and picking it up on the other side might take a second. Additionally, as previously mentioned, make sure you cache water and plenty of it as the water sources along the trail are not reliable. On the map, to me it looked like a portion of the trail was very near the Ohio River. In reality it isn't close enough to use as a water source because it's pretty steep and not really very close. Our first evening we parked at the Old Forest Road trailhead, just past Kintner Road, and hiked to the Homestead Overnight Shelter. It was approximately 7.5 miles and I was physically spent by the time we got to camp. The campsite was very nice with lots of room to spread out. The second day we finished the trail with the exception of the final 2 mile section north of Old Forest Road, opting to walk the road back to the trailhead. Our route did not include the 1.6 miles trail from SR 462 to Rendezvous Point. During our early June hike, the temperatures were in the upper 80's with high humidity...which tried to suck all of the fun of the hike. We however went slow, took plenty of breaks and stayed hydrated. Some of the hills on this portion of the trail seemed to go on forever. The views were pretty awesome though. Overall, we had a great time and saw a handful of other hikers. I would love to do this trail again when the leaves are off the trees. I suspect there are spots where you can see for miles. Regarding water. We started off carrying 4L each. We cached water at the parking spot on Cold Friday Road, 1.4 miles past the Homestead Overnight Shelter which allowed us to hydrate and fill back back up early on day two. Our second cache was at the Pioneer Picnic Shelter. This was a good choice though the two of us could have use 3 gallons here. On the map it shows water available near the Old Iron Bridge. We didn't not see it close to the trail and assume it was in the campground. If you are heading clockwise, you might want to take the effort to locate this source and top off. By the time I made it back to SR 462 I was nearly out of water and really needed more. The intersection at SR 462 might be a place to cache some more so you can top off before finishing the last few miles. We tried to cache water near a shelter inside of the park, near the Hog Barn Primitive Site. The shelter appears to be close to the trail however, there would have been a significant climb from the trail to shelter to get the water. We left it there and never were able to see the shelter from the trail. I would not recommend this. I hope this helps someone. Have fun and enjoy the trail. Oh...if the foliage is out and you can't decide between wearing shorts and pants, wear pants and make sure everything is sprayed for ticks.

Wed Jun 28 2017

Awesome Hike thru the woods back country be sure you have working GPS map though there are many trails thru and you could get lost easy with a paper map do not try alone take plenty of water and trail mix. Be prepared for everything...

Tue Dec 06 2016

Very confusing! Finding trail heads was difficult! Once I found one and jumped on it, I was able to find more. The map given at the Ranger station is not much help. I highly recommend taking Blue River Bluff to Iron Bridge which takes you down to the mouth of the river. Very beautiful!!

recorded O'Bannon Woods Trail