O'Bannon Woods Trail

O'Bannon Woods Trail is a 15.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Corydon, Indiana that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

O'Bannon Woods State Park (formerly Wyandotte Woods State Recreation Area) lies in the central and extreme southern part of the state, bordering the Ohio River. It is nestled inside 26,000-acre Harrison Crawford State Forest, but is managed separately Due to the nature of the terrain, most trails in O'Bannon will be slightly more difficult that their similarly labeled counterparts in other Indiana parks.

This is a fantastic trail. Very challenging but, well worth it. My experience was that it was marked fairly well but, you have to watch for the correct blazes. Occasionally, the trail crosses through clear cuts and picking it up on the other side might take a second. Additionally, as previously mentioned, make sure you cache water and plenty of it as the water sources along the trail are not reliable. On the map, to me it looked like a portion of the trail was very near the Ohio River. In reality it isn't close enough to use as a water source because it's pretty steep and not really very close.

Our first evening we parked at the Old Forest Road trailhead, just past Kintner Road, and hiked to the Homestead Overnight Shelter. It was approximately 7.5 miles and I was physically spent by the time we got to camp. The campsite was very nice with lots of room to spread out.

The second day we finished the trail with the exception of the final 2 mile section north of Old Forest Road, opting to walk the road back to the trailhead. Our route did not include the 1.6 miles trail from SR 462 to Rendezvous Point.

During our early June hike, the temperatures were in the upper 80's with high humidity...which tried to suck all of the fun of the hike. We however went slow, took plenty of breaks and stayed hydrated. Some of the hills on this portion of the trail seemed to go on forever. The views were pretty awesome though.

Overall, we had a great time and saw a handful of other hikers. I would love to do this trail again when the leaves are off the trees. I suspect there are spots where you can see for miles.

Regarding water. We started off carrying 4L each. We cached water at the parking spot on Cold Friday Road, 1.4 miles past the Homestead Overnight Shelter which allowed us to hydrate and fill back back up early on day two. Our second cache was at the Pioneer Picnic Shelter. This was a good choice though the two of us could have use 3 gallons here. On the map it shows water available near the Old Iron Bridge. We didn't not see it close to the trail and assume it was in the campground. If you are heading clockwise, you might want to take the effort to locate this source and top off. By the time I made it back to SR 462 I was nearly out of water and really needed more. The intersection at SR 462 might be a place to cache some more so you can top off before finishing the last few miles.

We tried to cache water near a shelter inside of the park, near the Hog Barn Primitive Site. The shelter appears to be close to the trail however, there would have been a significant climb from the trail to shelter to get the water. We left it there and never were able to see the shelter from the trail. I would not recommend this.

I hope this helps someone. Have fun and enjoy the trail. Oh...if the foliage is out and you can't decide between wearing shorts and pants, wear pants and make sure everything is sprayed for ticks.

Awesome Hike thru the woods back country be sure you have working GPS map though there are many trails thru and you could get lost easy with a paper map do not try alone take plenty of water and trail mix. Be prepared for everything...

Very confusing! Finding trail heads was difficult! Once I found one and jumped on it, I was able to find more. The map given at the Ranger station is not much help. I highly recommend taking Blue River Bluff to Iron Bridge which takes you down to the mouth of the river. Very beautiful!!

Saturday, August 30, 2014