Mount Summit Trail

Mount Summit Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Losantville, Indiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Shaded for maybe 10min and then you’re out in the sun the remainder of the time with very little opportunity to hide from the sun. So be aware of the temps if you plan to hike this trail. The wild flowers were pretty and the open views of the lake are nice. I will echo what others have said about the trail markers being confusing. Some of them had trail 5 marked on them but there is no trail 5 on the map. Possibly a new trail in the works? I’ll be back to the park to kayak and swim but not likely for hiking.

Peaceful and easy nothing challenging but we enjoy it nonetheless. A lot of the trails are a mowed path but some of it is in the woods on the other side of the park we have done both in the past. Good place for kayaking pretty scenery, lots of wildlife.

My wife and I hiked this trail despite the bad reviews. We figured it would be fine, we are fairly experienced, and I didn't think it would be that bad. About half of the "trail" is just a mowed path through fields. While that in itself isn't to bad, the fields themselves are completely overgrown and horrible with biting flies. While I recognize that weather is a contributing factor, the fields could be more well maintained to cut down on it. Second problem was that the trail was horribly marked. When we arrived at the park and through my research, it appeared the trail was just a single loop trail, but it is not. It is actually two different trails that share some common parts. There were multiple forks in the trail that had no markings at all, and you are left to guess which one goes where. I doubt I'll be going back to this trail again, even though it is close to the house and we were just looking for a place to give the dog a chance to stretch his legs....

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Easy hike with wildflowers and lake views. The lake is definitely the park's main attraction, and their hiking trails more of an added bonus.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Horribly marked, mostly mowed path through very young timber and grass land. Nothing really scenic at all, maybe waterfowl at times. Not a lot of thought or planning seemed to be used. Definitely NOT worth the gate fee. I have a park pass and probably still will not return to this trail.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Hiked this trail twice before. The trail transverses through some new growth forest, along Summit Lake and then through some restored prairie. The scenery here is pretty dull, but you can occasionally see some in interesting waterfowl.

Friday, October 07, 2016

Clear, easy trails with beautiful scenery!

Friday, September 16, 2016

This is not an adventurous trail, though the scenery is worth a trip. For the naturalist it is a good destination especially for birds, insects, and wildflowers. The reservoir has a lot of coves and I think is good for kayaking.

Saturday, March 25, 2017