Miller Woods Trail

Miller Woods Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gary, Indiana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 134 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Very serene and beautiful place to hike. My husband and I had the whole place to ourselves and it was wonderful.

Beautiful hike through very unique scenery with interesting plants and wildlife. Not strenuous at all, but the majority is on sand which adds a bit of difficulty, and there is not much shade. I had the beach to myself for an hour (though on a weekday).

Breathtaking trail. I need to get out again when the water levels a little lower

Absolutely amazing hike! Had a blast walking the dunes and trails to the beach! I would definitely say it’s a workout. It’s sand most of the way and you climb and walk bringing up your heart rate. For sure will come back when it’s nice enough to swim because you do get to end up at the beach before your return.

One of our favorites!

I've hiked s few trails at the Dunes and this was one of my favorites. Pass through several ecosystems on the way to the beach. My dog and I had the whole trail to ourselves. There is hardly no shade on the trail so pack sunscreen and a lot of water if going in the summer. If bringing a dog I'd suggest putting dog boots on as the sand got fairly hot in 80 degrees. The whole trail was sand so I carried my pup for some portions to cool her down. Overall though, it was an enjoyable trail.

used day pack

Update June 23: Did this trail again yesterday. Trail around the pond was flooded with eight inches of water. Other sections were also flooded but were easily passable by going around water obstacles. Saw lots of deflated balloons along the beach. ------ Hiked this pretty trail this morning. I only saw two others the entire time. Trail is easy to follow but the narrow section along the pond may be scary for small children. The trail is right on the water's edge. Boardwalk is slippery after a fresh snowfall. There is one small dune to climb near the beach. Sounds of the steelmills and South Shore train never leave you. Spooked a family of deer. Saw beaver dams. Nature center was closed due to the government shutdown. Plenty of parking across the street. No fee.

Beautiful trail ending at the beach!

recorded Miller Woods Trail