Ly-co-ki-we Trail Glenwood Dunes Trail System

Ly-co-ki-we Trail Glenwood Dunes Trail System is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chesterton, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

More horses than humans - soft trail even more so due to heavy equestrian use. At about mile 3 there is a 1.7 mile spur back to parking. It is totally impassable due to flooding; be prepared to back track or hop on to surface streets (hwy 12 near).

Nice long hike; 7.5 miles. Great for trail running, as it's all flat land. Also great for horses, seen some on the trail! This is a good trail if you're looking for a long hike. We went on a beautiful day in February! We hiked in our tank tops, who would have thought?!
We did have a little trouble finding it at first, as we were looking for "Ly-Co-Ki-We Trail" - They renamed the trail "Glenwood Dunes Trail System" but the parking lot is located right off of route 20. Super easy to spot.
This trail is all through woods; not sure why there are beach photos on this post. But overall, a nice long relaxing hike.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

One of the better trails in the park. nice dune hiking

Saturday, September 03, 2016

This is a lovely trail through the woods, I am not sure what the pictures refer to as you are in the woods the whole time and there are markers with the trail name. The trails are primarily sand and if you go on the extensions, mostly dirt, and all are well maintained. Apart from that you are hiking on sand, which is a new twist for me, and perhaps the length, I'm not sure why this is considered a hard trail as there really are no significant hills. It was very nice though.

Friday, August 26, 2016

No dunes or ridges on this trail. Not sure what the other reviewers were referring to. Mostly flat. Lots of trees, but not terribly scenic. Not sure why it's rated hard. Moderate is more like it. Mostly loose sandy trail slows down the pace a bit, but otherwise a good hike.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Did Trail 9 yesterday. It's labeled as moderate, but I'm heavy and new to exercise. It was definitely challenging, especially in ridge "blowout" areas with deeper loose sand. It was worth it! I felt good about myself when I finished, and the view was BEAUTIFUL!

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Love it

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Trail 9 in the state park was great! It followed the ridge so you had a view of the lake most of the time! Would do it again!

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Park and dunes are great. The beach and lake are like the ocean. Smokestacks.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Nice scenic route in the summer and winter.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Nice scenery and good length. Much of the trail is loose sand and dirt. I wouldn't say it was difficult except maybe the loose dirt is a bit different and the occasional dodging of horse poopys. We have a 6 year old that loves hiking and she managed fine on it and we did 10 miles. I would go again and it's a nice trail to try.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

This is a combination trail also used by horses. Overall it was decently rigorous and scenic. The undergrowth is very thick, and I saw a lot of animal life.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

people you're misleading the uninformed.. ly ko ki we is the trail from dunes station to dunewood campground in the national park, it runs parallel between rt 12 and rt 20.. its a good 8 miles on the direct route, longer if you use loops, parts of this trail are horse use also. half of the comments here are referring to the dunes state park trails, good trails but not the one in the title.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

I run there a few times weekly. If you know your way, you can make it an easy run, or you can get one of the hardest workout in your training log. The ridge and trail 8 will rock your world. Trail 2 is flat as a board. If you go, you will want too go back "Guaranteed". On a clear day, you will have a great view of the Chicago sky line, from the ridge.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Ran on a couple of the different trails. A few loose sandy parts, but scenery was to die for. Going to make it a monthly run!

Saturday, September 10, 2016