Ly-co-ki-we Trail Glenwood Dunes Trail System

Ly-co-ki-we Trail Glenwood Dunes Trail System is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chesterton, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, horses, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

Nice long hike; 7.5 miles. Great for trail running, as it's all flat land. Also great for horses, seen some on the trail! This is a good trail if you're looking for a long hike. We went on a beautiful day in February! We hiked in our tank tops, who would have thought?!
We did have a little trouble finding it at first, as we were looking for "Ly-Co-Ki-We Trail" - They renamed the trail "Glenwood Dunes Trail System" but the parking lot is located right off of route 20. Super easy to spot.
This trail is all through woods; not sure why there are beach photos on this post. But overall, a nice long relaxing hike.

One of the better trails in the park. nice dune hiking

This is a lovely trail through the woods, I am not sure what the pictures refer to as you are in the woods the whole time and there are markers with the trail name. The trails are primarily sand and if you go on the extensions, mostly dirt, and all are well maintained. Apart from that you are hiking on sand, which is a new twist for me, and perhaps the length, I'm not sure why this is considered a hard trail as there really are no significant hills. It was very nice though.

No dunes or ridges on this trail. Not sure what the other reviewers were referring to. Mostly flat. Lots of trees, but not terribly scenic. Not sure why it's rated hard. Moderate is more like it. Mostly loose sandy trail slows down the pace a bit, but otherwise a good hike.

Did Trail 9 yesterday. It's labeled as moderate, but I'm heavy and new to exercise. It was definitely challenging, especially in ridge "blowout" areas with deeper loose sand. It was worth it! I felt good about myself when I finished, and the view was BEAUTIFUL!

Love it

Trail 9 in the state park was great! It followed the ridge so you had a view of the lake most of the time! Would do it again!

Park and dunes are great. The beach and lake are like the ocean. Smokestacks.

Nice scenic route in the summer and winter.

Nice scenery and good length. Much of the trail is loose sand and dirt. I wouldn't say it was difficult except maybe the loose dirt is a bit different and the occasional dodging of horse poopys. We have a 6 year old that loves hiking and she managed fine on it and we did 10 miles. I would go again and it's a nice trail to try.