Little Calumet River Trail Loop

Little Calumet River Trail Loop is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chesterton, Indiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

historic site

Loved this trail!! Perfect for the adventurist.

We loved this hike. Just rough and long enough for us old guys. Did have some problem finding the trails again once crossing the roads. Other than that it's a great hike.

This is an absolutely gorgeous and serene hike. Not only do you get to experience historical sites, but forest, field, and swamp. From beginning to end the walk took us around 3 hours, and came to a total of 5 miles. Terrain was rugged in parts, and still muddy towards the end of the trail, but it's nothing that a good pair of hiking boots can't handle. The walk is stroller friendly, as long as you have a partner to help through the muddy bits. My only complaint is that you have to cross a busy street to get to the cemetery!

still muddy and trail poorly marked in multiple spots. still some nice views along river and it will be interesting to see how the return to prairie works.

very nice trail. can be wet and muddy at times so be prepared. the fact that the bailey homestead and chelberg farm are connected to this trail add a great historical avenue to the experience.

Walked the trail between rain storms. As expected, its muddy. The trail could be marked better.

I started this trail at Bailey's Homstead, which leads into Little Calumet.

I had been to Baileys Homstead so many times and just never went the other way. Well, I decided to go the other way! The trail was SO DIVERSE. I was amazed at how many different things I got to see and experience. Woods, a beautiful boardwalk, bridges, a prairie and you come across Bailey's Homstead fully equipped with signs to let you know about the first settlers in Northwest Indiana.

When I went, it was extremely muddy. But we carried on!

The only thing I did not like - the trails are HORRIBLY unlabeled. Even with two different types of maps, we were still confused on which way to go at some points. ESPECIALLY when you get to the paved road. We walked down a street for about a half a mile before we finally figured out that a trail was behind this little gravel parking lot. So be aware!

Overall, it was a pretty trail. I can't wait to visit it during the summer and will return.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Was there Friday, little soupy in some spots. Great trail

Monday, October 19, 2015

Nice one 1.5 hour, 3.5 mile walk in the woods and fields. It's not remote and if you look and listen you will see power lines and hear trains nearby. But, if you look even closer you will see huge trees that once lined old roads and settlements as well as a lot of wildlife and variety of plants. The Bailley home and cemetary are maintained by the park service and the trails are well maintained. The trail could be more clearly marked at some places.
As of October 2015 there is a section closed that had many wooden steps going through a ravine. And a section goes through a field that apparently used to go by the river instead. I will try to upload a newer track than the one I found here.