Lick Creek Trail

Lick Creek Trail is a 11.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Paoli, Indiana that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

Great hike! I try to do this one frequently as it's close to home.

parked at south county road 250 East and hiked east end. Walked up to Robert's and Thomas Cemetery very cool.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Dress for mess! The horse traffic has made parts of the trail very muddy and uneven.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Friday, November 06, 2015

I found the trail enjoyable, it was in the spring and pleasant that day.

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

I have hiked most of the trails in the Hoosier National Forest, and this one is probably my favorite. I love how varied the scenes are. Along the trail, there are sections of new growth, medium growth, flower bushes, raspberry bushes, wildlife, ponds, clearings, etc.

I went about three days after rain, and there were a lot of sections that were still super muddy. Also, some sections of trail have tall grass and weeds. The trails are obvious/well established, but I would strongly advise long pants because the chiggers will eat you alive in these sections. Also, there are tons of spider webs crossing the trail, so if that is a turn-off, you may think twice about this one. I would run into one about every 15 mins or so.

IMPORTANT SIDE-NOTE: If you are looking for the cemetery (which I would advise; it's super cool), you need to follow an unmapped trail. The mapped trail loops off to the east (or south, depending on how you enter it), but there is a well established unmarked trail that branches off to the north. Follow this and after about half a mile on unmarked trail you will see a sign pointing to the cemetery off the left side.

All in all, I love this trail. Definitely a favorite of mine out of the entire HNF. Strongly recommend.

Saturday, June 06, 2015

This trail was my first time to the Hoosier National Forest and I was impressed. This trail is highly used by horses and there are lots of extremely muddy areas. Also, for a person there are some trails that could be better maintained. Wearing pants is a must on this trail. There are also a lot of ticks, at least when I went. My hiking partner picked 30 ticks off of himself. however there are a few good views and an interesting patch of raspberry bushes.

We did the 8 mile hike is roughly 4 hours and only ran into one other group of horseback riders on the trail that whole time.

Sunday, September 08, 2013

We are fresh off this trail after having hiked it today. I will say that I liked this trail, but there are some areas that need a bit of weed cleaning, especially on one of the areas where the trail crosses the pipeline. It was here that I think we got into some heavy chigger territory. This is by no means a perfect trail (if there is such a thing), but it is beautiful area, and wildlife, such as deer, which we saw today, abound there. The bottom line is, this trail, in my opinion, is well worth your time and energy to explore, enjoy, and appreciate.

Sunday, September 08, 2013

Pros and cons about this trail. Parts are great but there are sections that are horrible. The weeds are extreme and I got severely ate up with chiggers. Trails couldve been a little better marked and maintained.

Friday, August 23, 2013

I liked the different terrain on this trail, but its poorly maintained. I ran this trail instead if biking. Lots of weeds. Still has great scenery though. It has potential if it was just maintained or used a little more.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Very poorly maintained.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

I liked this trail because of the wildlife I saw numerous deer,turkey and snakes. There's parts of the trail with storm damage so you have to climb over trees but its a nice trail.