Lawrence Creek Trail

Lawrence Creek Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Indianapolis, Indiana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lawrence Creek Trail at Fort Harrison State Park Indiana is located near Indianapolis, Indiana. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is my favorite trail at this park. I like the way it meanders and undulates. It’s well maintained and marked. I did miss a turn (my fault) and made an unexpected loop a just over two miles in, but I didn’t mind as appreciated the extra distance.

I’m not certain if mountain bikes are allowed, but I was hit by a mountain biker during my hike. I noticed him as he was approaching from about sixty feet behind me. He shouted “Coming through!” at 30 feet away. I wasted no time jumping off the path, but as he was leaning into a turn, his shoulder clipped my shoulder. He didn’t slow down as he approach me and was going way too fast to make a pass. He shouted “My fault!”, but he didn’t even stop to see if I was ok.

I was so shocked at what just happen I didn’t have the words to say anything as we could see each other across from one of the ravines moments later. He wouldn’t look at me.

I wasn’t hurt, but I was pretty upset about the situation as I almost had my six yo daughter come along with me. She decided to stay back last minute as she’s had come down with a cold. I felt what the cyclist did was very reckless, and I’m thankful my daughter wasn’t there as she might have not made it out of the way.

I’m an avid cyclist, I commuted to work by bike for seven years, and support bicycle advocacy groups. I believe mountain bikers should have a place to ride. However, this cyclist was completely reckless. I’m glad I didn’t run into him back at the parking lot as I sure I would’ve said some choice words (not my character).

I enjoyed this trail, in the middle of the day, in mid July. The tree canopy provided lots of shade. The trail moves up, down, left, and right which kept it interesting. The lack of trail markers and use of different coloured flags took away some enjoyment as I wasn’t always sure of where I was. I helped a group of boys find their way as well. Not a safe idea with sketchy trail markers. Note also, this park doesn’t have garbage cans. Your asked to carry all your garbage out. Enjoy.

Such a gorgeous trail, mostly all in the shade. Nostly for mountain bikes but an awesome hike as well, we loved hiking it!

Love the terrain and the trail- I was expecting more bikes but no issues. I was trail running and at some point I missed a sign. But it was a nice easy run.

This is the long trail in Fort Harrison. Beautiful trail with loads of trees and wildlife. Little slick in spots after the rain but not too bad

Nice trail. We got a bit turned around at one point and looped back to somewhere else on the trail. But we were able to take a shortcut back to our car from where we ended up. It was really pretty though. Nice flowers and beautiful trees. Very wooded, easy trail to hike.

Loved it!

Great Hike. Good for dogs. Only thing is to watch out for bikers. I met some speedy bikers along skinnier parts of the trail and they’re traveling pretty fast so just be careful. Also, many bikers don’t yield to you like they’re supposed to. Lastly, it’s not a really well marked trail. There are multiple splits that don’t tell you which way to go, so be wary of that.

Relaxing and surprisingly dry.

Nice little trail. Very windy with moderate elevation changes. Hikers do not believe the title at the park, it is NOT difficult. What makes it difficult is that this is shared with bikers and very few follow the one way/yielding rules. All traffic is to go one way and bikers yield to runners and hikers but they dont. Like always, people are what is wrong with the trail. Would be a good workout for a biker with few obstacles but frequent and sudden elevation changes.

This is a narrow benchcut singletrack built and maintained by Hoosier Mountain Bike association. It is of 3 serious mountain bike courses in Indianapolis (besides Town Run and Southwestway). Keep this in mind as there are MANY places exclusive to foot traffic in Indianapolis. It's not that it's popular with Mountain Bikers it's one of the few places they are allowed ... and they are required to buy an additional $20 annual pass for the privelege.

There is also hiking only off-road trails in the northeast section of the park along fall creek. The trails there are wider and it's easier to negotiate passes.

Coming from California so my rating is probably reflective of that. Enjoyed the walk (don’t consider it hiking really) and it was relatively pretty. Too easy, didn’t find it that strenuous (I️’m kind of in-shape but don’t think this would be tough for any average person). My main complaint is, as others have said, regarding the narrow path- there are a lot of mountain bikers. Everyone is polite but it can be tough to get to the side in certain places. Not enough to view and not enough inclines for me. Also could be longer. Enjoyable though!

Good trail to get a good cardio workout.

This is a well groomed trail, very clean and easy to follow. The scenery of the woods is very nice on this mild Oct morning. Gentle and sharp turns, foot bridges, dips and bumps add to the fun.

Decent hike for so close to town. Pretty easy to follow and not real highly trafficked. Mountain bikers on the trail at times that aren't always on the look out

Tried this trail again, this time I upgraded the AllTrails app and use the downloaded map to keep me on the right path. For some reason the AllTrails app never gets my mileage right. My GPS tracker app put me at 4 miles following the outside loop. I really wish this state park would go in and mark the trails, it's such a great place to hike.

As a few other reviewers have mentioned, this trail can be insanely confusing. There are no markers to help keep you on the trail and several other paths. Apparently I've taken the wrong path one too many times, because after 4.5 miles and sunset quickly approaching, I finally gave up and when I spotted the road I cut across and just took the road back to my car. I feel like this would be a great trail option for hikers, but without knowing which way to turn at splits it is very frustrating.
Side note, the mountain bikers love this trail and you have to watch/listen for them since it's very narrow. Thankfully they are always polite when they come up behind you.

great hike. sometimes high traffic with hikers and bikers but everyone's respectful. takes about 2-3 hours.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

First time hike. Thought it was easier than rated. Only saw one deer the entire hike. A nice experience being in a metro area.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

One of the best trails in the park, good distance (3.7 according to park map) and nice rolling terrain. Very popular with mountain bikers so stay alert!

Friday, June 30, 2017

I'm not sure where I went wrong, because this 3.5 mile loop ended up taking me 2 hours and was 6 miles. Very windy, lots of beauty. The mountain bikers were insanely polite!

Saturday, March 04, 2017

It's more like a 4 mile trail. Lots of twists and turns. Watch out for the mountain bikers.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Trail is quite windy which is good but there is a section that isn't marked well and I'm pretty sure I crossed over into another trail.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Loved hiking along the creeks and ravines . I would have liked this trail better if it wasn't for the Mountain Bikers. They were all very courteous and respectful , but just had me looking over my shoulder to see if they were coming . It was a 4 mile hike

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Just a heads up $7 per car to get in to the park

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Nice trail

Sunday, July 10, 2016

favorite trail at the fort. just keep a heads up for bikers. but the terrain is great and actually gives the feeling that you might not be just outside of a big city. my dog loved it.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

This is a great trail. I love all four trails at the Fort. I run out here all the time. Just an FYI the trail is actually 4 miles long.

Monday, May 02, 2016

Nice trail. As others said there are bikers and runners. Its a moderate trail with many muddy areas so be prepared.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Great trail to walk. Some bikers so, you have stop and let them pass. This trail was not easy trail for us even though we are experience hiker. I will rate as moderate trail.