Lakeshore Trail

Lakeshore Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Liberty, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is a moderately rated trail that has hills and valleys and a view of the lake much of the time. This trail winds along one side of the lake. There are several good viewing areas of the lake along the way. The trail ends at a wooden observation deck at the bottom of a number of stairs.

This is primarily an out and back trail with a short loop at the beginning. I skipped the loop going out and picked it up on my return. There was a downed tree at the first inlet that requires decent climbing. I’m sure they’ll have it cleared soon.

I wish I had had a trash bag with me as there was quite a bit of trash that had been washed in with all the rain/flooding.

I lost the trail for a minute or so at a creek crossing. I think the trail could use a few more markers in those areas.

Over all a great little hike!

A peaceful walk along the shore of the lake. A much narrower path than memorial loop.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Nice hike along the western lakeshore. Would say this is an Easy + difficulty rating. It appears you may be able to continue around the north tip of the lake by taking a left before the stairs to the observation deck. We did this hike while the trees were still bare but it must be much more beautiful once everything is in bloom.

Just a tip...the trail entrance is a wide, mowed path that heads north from the center of the parking lot. Take the path off to the right once on the mowed path. Going straight takes you to the latrines.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

An easy walker. Slightly overgrown with vegetation in a few areas. I was slightly disappointed in the overlook. The view is obstructed by trees and brush; overall a nice trail.

Monday, September 02, 2013

Another nice hike at Whitewater Memorial State Park. 57 steps at the observation deck at the end of the trail. Trail head is at the Nature Preserve parking lot.

Monday, March 11, 2013

We hiked this trail last fall. We liked the variety of trees and lake views throughout the hike. We camped in the family cabins and did this one early in the day. There is a small loop at the beginning, so we went on one part of the loop going and came out another just to see the entire trail.