Kokiwanee Nature Preserve Trail

Kokiwanee Nature Preserve Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lagro, Indiana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This loop in Kokiwanee Nature Preserve is a pleasant escape. With multiple trails to make your adventure as long or short as you choose. The highlight of your adventure is a stop at Kissing Falls in the southeast corner of the preserve.

A good challenge but the views are worth it! bring trekking poles or a walking stick!

Secluded spot with a couple shelters and benches downstream on the Salamonie River.

great hike nice waterfall

super pretty in the fall. saw alot of pretty rock walls and water falls. trails are well kept.

Nice hike, not too crowded... good waterfall, and easy enough for kids. Will be back. Go when water is high.

Did the outer loop and mixed variations, about 3 hours of hiking. Family of 5 with a 6, 12, and 14 year old and were able to navigate with little difficulty. Trails are not marked very well, but if you have a decent sense of direction you will be fine. the Falls are filled from the South not north. So after a good southern rain (Indy) the falls will be pretty.

There are full elevation changes with improvised steps to assist. all-in-all it was a very fun afternoon with really great in woods views of tall mature trees with Good quality ID markers to teach the different types of trees in the woods. I suggest the CR 50 s parking lot. Its small but forces you to get out and hike.

Some forks in the trail are not marked at all, so this turned a bit into a guessing game. When you get to the parking lot, go on the unmarked wider trail and just a bit farther down will be a sign. We went with young children and took the wrong one from the start, which added a lot of time. It was pretty, but our kids were over it by the time we actually found the waterfall.

Also, the day we went there were a LOT of active spiderwebs that we had to gently push through. (ALL had spiders in them.) Just be prepared for that.

But this was very beautiful and only about 40 mins from SW Fort Wayne.

Took the whole family. Loved the trail. Beautiful area to spend part of the day in.

This was a great escape! Fairly moderate trails, quite enjoyable.

Nice shaded trail! The waterfall was cool! Will definitely return!

Shaded trail great for walking your fur babies. Nice little waterfall with a stream along the trail.

Drove from Ft Wayne to do a photo session with our dogs and we were not disappointed! We’ve gone to all the trails around the city and wanted to go somewhere with more...everything! This was it! The trails were well maintained and well directed. Our dogs had a blast during the session at the waterfall and we had a blast watching them! Will come back, for sure!

Sunday, January 28, 2018

I'm a beginner, I thought this trail was fun, beautiful, and would come back without a doubt. Scenic waterfalls and views of the river and nature in general.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Absolutely one of my favorite local hikes! Many trails to choose from featuring a pond, a river, and a few small waterfalls! Kokiwanee has it all!

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Average trail. But the waterfall was cool.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

This is one of the nicest spots along this stretch of the Wabash River valley.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Nice hike back to the river and to see some small waterfalls. Start at the trailhead and go west, trail gets more interesting as you go. Couple short climbs and foot work make you breathe a little harder.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

my favorite place to hike, it can be easy if you want, or vigorous if you like climbing, the kids love to play in the waterfalls. very peaceful

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Awesome, variety of trails. Not super well marked, but all the ones we were on seemed to link back up with the waterfall.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Loved the solitude & the peace there! Not paved, but natural trails!

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Is a great place to visit with my family. The big shelter along the river will allow for summer picnics. We will definitely be back.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

The Kokiwanee Trails are mostly easy but worth the visit. There are waterfalls, a lake and a river. I always see eagles along the river. Kokiwanee is great for dogs too. I suggest taking the time if you are looking for a peaceful experience.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Loved it! I enjoyed seeing the outbuildings of sorts though dilapidated. Also nice overlooking the Salamonie River. think I would love to come back even with a little bit of snow on the ground it would be beautiful.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Wonderful scenery! Very well maintained and open trails.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Complete this scenic hike in an afternoon. We backpacked into the campsite along Bloodroot Trail, and the next morning drove to the Kokiwannee trail head. A lot to explore despite only being a few hundred acres. Trail as marked on AllTrails is incomplete. Go to the ACRES Landtrust website to get an accurate map. I would like to try it again at the height of spring wildflowers.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Lots of cool trails here. Most trails are fairly easy. I like the trails following the river the best. Lots of small waterfalls and cliffs.

Friday, April 15, 2016

I love it here! Great rugged trails, far more then what's listed on this map! What beautiful views! If your looking for a nice walk in the woods this is a great place to start!

Monday, March 28, 2016

This trail map shown here is NOT accurate. There are many trails that are not shown and a total of around 5 miles. Not 1.4 m. Someone with Pro access needs to up-date this map. We recommend everyone to hike this trail system, it is a nice moderate hike and beautiful, rugged along the river. We loved it !

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Super easy route. Nice trail. Would be good for cross country skiing

Monday, September 14, 2015

I have been hiking and camping across the river from this preserve at the Salamonie River State Forest for years and never knew this place existed. Very nice and quiet hike with good views of the rivers and several small waterfalls. There are many intersecting trails which got confusing, and resulted in some wrong turns but I will definitely come back when I have more time to spend.